Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Sep-2005, 22:51

Mood: Feeling better
Well done Ratchet. I have a yellow ST4, 2002 (yellow's the way to go). I swapped my 750 Monster for it this summer. I'd had the Monster from new (1997) and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was time for more miles, more luggage and more go. The ST4 provided all those and more, I'm really pleased with the choice. Especially after I raised the ride height to provide more ground clearance with panniers on (see the thread "Ground Clearance".

Enjoy the ST4, enjoy Yellow!
Old 20-Sep-2005, 23:20
Montjuic

Mood: bring on the sun !
bummer about the tyre derek, perhaps you may be trying some puncture seal with the new one ?.
each to there own colour, personally I think in red with the styling they look abit anonymous, perhaps thats the appeal to some, perhaps its just us shy guys who want yellow

will need to get together at some point, poss you can give me some starting set up tips for front supension etc.
Old 21-Sep-2005, 09:41
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Ratchet,
There are probably plenty others who can advise you better than me on suspension settings and bear in mind that they will be different for every rider depending on their weigt and type of riding.
When I got the bike the first thing I was aware of was that the front supension was too soft, divlng at the least application of the front brake. 2 clicks up from standard on the front compression damping sorted that. I also adjusted the front and rear preloads to give the correct sag for my weight and finally increased the rear ride height to give about 10mm between the rear wheel and the ground with the bike on the centre stand. That also had the disadvantage of raising the seat height by at least inch.
Old 21-Sep-2005, 23:25
Montjuic

Mood: bring on the sun !
I realise suspension settings are quite personal, but never had adjustable front forks before, so everyone will have more knowledge than me.
Old 21-Sep-2005, 23:53
Big Twin

There was a write up in a mag once about the ST4s and they said the susension was setup very soft as standard. Of course, you will have no idea whether it is stlil standard or not, but Derek is right that increasing front compression damping a little to firm it up should help. There was a tendency by the factory to make it all too soft I think.
Old 22-Sep-2005, 09:44
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Quote:
Originally posted by HW
Of course, you will have no idea whether it is stlil standard or not

Right enough. Make sure everything is at the factory settings and work from there.
Old 26-Sep-2005, 09:08
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

I have a yellow abs, bought in December. Great fun, and the yellow gets a lot of compliments from riders and non-riders alike. Issues I have had so far are hot exhaust under left leg that exits under a pillion as well, making summer a great undertaking (thicker or leather pants are supposed to help, but haven't tried that yet), a little problem with idling and stalling unexpectedly (idle speed lowered of it's own accord during the summer and stalling was cured by another service after the 1000 km service and maybe the 14 tooth sprocket I put on) , a goofy fuel indicator and gauge, and a slippery seat that let's a certain young lady test the limits of pressure on my nether parts while stopping. Otherwise, I love the beast, a real pleasure to ride with lots of toot when you need it.