Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-May-2009, 21:05
Montjuic

Mood: sometimes
My bike is now solo only, as the wife has a bad vertigo balance problem, which is not getting any better, so bike is a no go for her

I do have a Ventura rack fitted, and will not need the panniers for solo trips, so these will be up for sale soon

I do love my ST just thought the slow turn in was a Ducati trait, just more involving than my VFR's. and also assume Snells had set it up correctly

It will be interesting once l do get the linkage back and can play with the settings
Old 16-May-2009, 21:09
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Mike is right, ST's are not at all 'slappy' and I can't imagine needing a steering damper on mine. If the ride height adjuster is on it's shortest setting, that is definitely your problem. Setting the ride height so that the rear wheel just grazes the ground when the bike is on the centre stand is the way to go, I got carried away with mine and set it stupidly high on the basis that 'more is better' but in fact 'more is just too much'. I had the same problem as you with the adjuster rod and it was because the ally and steel had corroded together. I took the rod off, got it all apart and filled up the middle of the tube with Waxoyl, it's been fine ever since. BTW, may be teaching you to suck eggs, but the bottom thread is left handed, so if you're turning it anticlockwise to try and loosen it, you're going the wrong way.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 16-May-2009, 23:07
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
with regard to the panniers, my advice would be to always use them in preference to a top box or tail pack.
The panniers are above the rear wheel spindle, whereas a top box is way out behind this, much higher up, and really can make the bike move around at 3 figure speeds in windy conditions (no more than any other bike with a top box though). The panniers on the other hand have very little effect that I can detect.

I can say from experience that they don't fall off even when doing an indicated 150 and above

As for tyre pressures, I always run those given in the manual, which is 38/42. My experience is the handling deteriorates on lower pressures. Obviously different makes of tyre respond in a different way to this.
I posted something recently to ask others what pressures they run, and it seems most run less than this, but just 2psi down on the rear is enough for me to notice it in faster sweeping bends.

by the way, if you cant get the eyelets out the link rod without damaging it don't get too upset, a new one is only about 16 quid.

Cheers,
john.
Old 17-May-2009, 11:47
Montjuic

Jools: yes l was aware of the thread directions

John W: re Panniers the bike does seem OK with them on, but it just seems neater with the tail pack on, which does sit behind me like having a pillion on board

Will get on to mate, to get a new linkage, as if he does have to charge me labour, it will be more than £16.00
Old 17-May-2009, 13:54
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

cant the ventura pack be loaded above the pillion seat rather than behind like the top box.

I run mine on std pressures with panniers, top box and wife and no problems. The only mod we have dione from new is change the rear suspension to Ohlins, IMO worth every penny
Old 17-May-2009, 15:54
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMFB
cant the ventura pack be loaded above the pillion seat rather than behind like the top box.

I run mine on std pressures with panniers, top box and wife and no problems. The only mod we have dione from new is change the rear suspension to Ohlins, IMO worth every penny

Yes the Ventura does rest on the pillion seat behind as l said.
The ST4s does have a ohlins fitted as standard.

Standard tyre pressures, my manual are in bar, l converted it to PSI at 32 f 34 r, is this what do you run yours?
Old 17-May-2009, 20:53
Montjuic

st4s mods

Standard tyre pressures, my manual are in bar, l converted it to PSI at 32 f 34 r, ......QUOTE]

Really? what were the bar figures?
I converted my owners manual bar figures and came out with around 38 & 41 (ST2)

My rear has always bled air slowly (no pun intended) so I need to pump it before every ride (still no pun intended). If I go out with less than 36psi at the back, the handling is quite badly affected.

Mike
Old 17-May-2009, 22:58
500SD

same for me, manual is 2.5 bar and 2.9 bar
2.5 X 14.5 = 36.25psi
2.9 x 14.5 = 42.05psi

I run 38 & 42.

re: the tail pack. I guess that makes a difference if you mount it forward.
Besides, a soft bag on a ventura rack is much less mass than a top box, and less affected by cross winds too
Its personal preference I suppose
Old 17-May-2009, 23:21
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W
same for me, manual is 2.5 bar and 2.9 bar
2.5 X 14.5 = 36.25psi
2.9 x 14.5 = 42.05psi

I run 38 & 42.

re: the tail pack. I guess that makes a difference if you mount it forward.
Besides, a soft bag on a ventura rack is much less mass than a top box, and less affected by cross winds too
Its personal preference I suppose

Those Bar pressures you quote in my manual are for: Rider + Passenger+ Luggage it actually says 2.4 front 2.9 rear.

For solo Rider + Luggage it says 2.1 bar F 2.8bar R without checking that's how l got to 32F 34 R

When l was at Snells l did question the tyre pressures, as they had put new tyres on for me, the front must have loss some pressure as it was down to 29 psi the back was 34, as l always run my VFR's at 36 f 42 rear i thought they cocked up, but they said Ducati's run with lower presssures l think they are right, as l feel the front feels skitish with 36 in it the rear well the Jury is out of that one, as l cannot tell much differance between 34 and 42 unless l have a pillion.
Old 18-May-2009, 01:30
500SD

what tyres are you running ?
I've tried most makes of tyre, and always run 42 rear.

I find anything less than 38 in the front is noticeable as I said.
If the rear is lower than around 38 it too is noticeable even when solo with no luggage. Its most noticeable when getting on the power early out of bends, or in long fast bends where there may be a bump. It feels like the rear rim is rolling in the tyre, funnily enough just like a flat tyre would do
The more you crank the bike over the more it feels likethe rear end sliding away.

By the way, that price for the drop link was a couple of years back now, so it would be a good idea to check first thing monday morning before you make a decision.

To be honest, I will happily ride a bike regardless of compression or rebound settings, but bad tyre pressures I really dislike. If they are wrong, it matters little what you do with the other settings as the bike won't go where you point it.

One final thought: the 4S has the adjustable preload knob, how much of this have you got wound out ?
Either measure the spring length with the bike on the stand, or how much of the adjuster ring is protruding.