Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Mar-2004, 20:05
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
748 probs

coming back from moto rapido today after about 10 miles the clutch started to slip not much but it was noticeable gradually got worse and the bike started to backfire then just died approaching a rondabout upon inspection fuses all ok lights worked (just) inidicators ok but only clicking when starter pressed bike bump started easily (thanks to monster club)
and ran fine all the way to bury hill (left lights off this time) but again wouldn't start it was a good fast run to bury hill so i thought at least it would put enough charge in to start but it didn't bumped it again and it ran ok but lots of clicking noises when i stopped at junctions etc (this may have been the clutch) .
just to add i had the lights on for the trip to moto rapido and back until it died,
about 90mls i suppose
Old 27-Mar-2004, 20:13
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
? Rectifier Nige ?
Old 27-Mar-2004, 20:22
Big Twin

how much do they cost????
Old 27-Mar-2004, 20:48
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Not sure for yours Nigel, but one for a monster is about £80+/-.

Dont know if that is your prob - no doubt someone will put you straight, but could be your clutch is 'incidental' and could be a red herring?

Alan
Old 27-Mar-2004, 21:26
Ducati Corse

Voltage regulator or the connector coming from it. Is it somewhere down by the battery on those bikes? Do a search on here and you should find something. If its the connector hn you can fix that for almost nothing, if its the regulator then is a bit more, £100 ish i think. CAnt remembe exactly.
Old 28-Mar-2004, 07:13
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Ok,the first thing to do is arm yourself with a multimeter and check the battery voltage.At rest,ie nothing on the bike switched on,you should get around 12.5-13.5v dc.Start the bike and check again,the reading should be around 14.3v dc.If the battery is not being charged,have a look at the yellow wires that come out of the alternator.The alternator is on the l/h side of the bike.Its not unusual for these cables or their connector to burn out.Also check the charging circuit fuse on the side of the battery.If all these look ok then it looks like the regulator is cooked.There are some test you can do to check it,have a look in the Haynes book.
Good Luck.
Old 28-Mar-2004, 10:24
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 996R and MV Agusta F4 1000R

Nigel,
if you don't have a multimeter i've got one you can borrow.
Old 28-Mar-2004, 18:29
Big Twin

Thanks nigel i have one and i still have your chip puller

Ok battery is making 12.5 v when engine off and 14.4v when engine is running so it's charging ok but only when the lights are off! with the lights on it doesn't charge the battery which explains my probs on saturday 90 odd miles with the lights but no charging happening, so i can ride if i don't use the lights. so it must be a loose or burnt out connection but which one i don't know
Old 28-Mar-2004, 21:28
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Sounds like you may have a wiring fault on the lighting circuits.Check for any chaffed or trapped cables.The wires to the rear lights can become unclipped under the seat and get squashed.You may also have a poor connection somewhere causing excessive current.

One other thing,when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?A bit of a long shot but I had a similar problem on a 851.It turned out to be a blocked filter overloading the electrics.
Just a thought.
Old 28-Mar-2004, 21:48
Big Twin

at the 6000ml service it's 11500 now