Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Mar-2005, 22:12
Mille

Mood: dooM
Best and worst way for me to have an accident

Hi all,

After spending all evening cleaning the chain, polishing the 748 etc. and then gently releasing the bike from the paddock stand it decided to fall to the ground. Even a futile attempt by my knee to stop it hitting the floor failed.

Anyway, picked the bitch up and expected to see cracked fairing, dented tank, seat unit etc. but I seem to have got away pretty lightly with the following:

Slightly scuffed lower LH fairing
Broken indicator (had a spare from my old Monster so no worried there)
Scuffed mirror (painted red)
Broken clutch lever

I keep telling myself that if I am going to drop the bike the best way to do it is at 0mph but I am still a bit miffed. I was going to have the v-piece painted anyhow as it has got a bit manky (luckily my father owns a paintshop) so I guess I'll have to do the other two pieces now as well.

I have put a request in on the For Sale/Wanted section, but would anyone have a reach adjustable clutch lever for a 748s (may well be the same on 9**) or know a good place to get one?

Cheers

Howard (just starting to smile again!)
Old 19-Mar-2005, 22:25
Big Twin

Stable Door Dept.

Sorry to hear that, hogfisch. Could have been much worse/more expensive by the sound of it, though.

When taking the bike off a paddock stand, I grasp hold of the pillion seat strap thing (that's the only thing it's good for) with my right hand, whilst lowering the stand with my left. Then keeping hold of the strap, you can sidle around the LHS of the bike, leaning it against your hip if necessary, to put the sidestand down.

Of course, that only applies if it's a bip.

[Edited on 19-3-2005 by moto748]
Old 19-Mar-2005, 22:25
Mille

Clutch lever sorted. Does anyone have some pride I can buy as mine is still dented?
Old 19-Mar-2005, 22:27
Mille

Stupid thing is the bike was down off the stand but as I pulled it out the bike just toppled over. Got to be pragmatic here. It is only a bike and if the worst thing that happens in my life is a scratch to a bike that many people can only dream of buying then I have done pretty well.
Old 20-Mar-2005, 10:28
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
Quote:
Originally posted by hogfisch
Hi all,

After spending all evening cleaning the chain, polishing the 748 etc. and then gently releasing the bike from the paddock stand it decided to fall to the ground. Even a futile attempt by my knee to stop it hitting the floor failed.

Anyway, picked the bitch up and expected to see cracked fairing, dented tank, seat unit etc. but I seem to have got away pretty lightly with the following:

Slightly scuffed lower LH fairing
Broken indicator (had a spare from my old Monster so no worried there)
Scuffed mirror (painted red)
Broken clutch lever

I keep telling myself that if I am going to drop the bike the best way to do it is at 0mph but I am still a bit miffed. I was going to have the v-piece painted anyhow as it has got a bit manky (luckily my father owns a paintshop) so I guess I'll have to do the other two pieces now as well.

I have put a request in on the For Sale/Wanted section, but would anyone have a reach adjustable clutch lever for a 748s (may well be the same on 9**) or know a good place to get one?

Cheers

Howard (just starting to smile again!)

Been there done that mine wedged itself against the garage wall, had to get the neighbour to help me to pick it up
luckily only a broken mirror as i was between it and the wall when it happened

[Edited on 20-3-2005 by Nigel C]
Old 20-Mar-2005, 14:31
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
nearly did the same with mine, made the mistake of greasing the paddock stand and it just drops ourt now! DOH!

Sorry to hear you were less lucky.
Old 20-Mar-2005, 17:51
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
Always put the sidestand down BEFORE you even think of taking it off the paddock stand.

Hold pillion seat pad strap with left hand, as you lower the bike off the stand pull the whole bike firmly to the left and onto the sidestand, Then remove the paddock stand. Bosch. Sorted.
Old 20-Mar-2005, 17:55
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Are we talking about a front or back paddock stand here?
Old 20-Mar-2005, 17:57
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
I was describing rear obviously (no seat pad at the front on my bike!!) :P:P:P
Old 20-Mar-2005, 20:07
Mille

This was a rear stand and the side stand was down. I still can't figure it all out really. The bike was down on its tyres and when I pulled the stand out from the axle the next thing I know is it is going over!

All I do know is the bike has always leant quite far to the left on its stand and my knee has a nice fat bruise on it where the bike smacked it on the way down.