Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 06-Feb-2009, 12:30
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat2hew
Well, mallory, snetterton, donington, are not too far, cadwell park is quite a long way, castle combe is a not that far really. oulton park, pembrey, anglesey are too far to come home, but I do like my own bed. and err, cant think of any other reasons really, but thats the plan at the moment. I'm not really complaining, obviously I have but I was looking forward to Brands.

you are joking right?

you have a van yet you are going to drive home from Donington to Kent???

You are bonkers and must be rich!!
Old 06-Feb-2009, 14:48
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat2hew
Well, mallory, snetterton, donington, are not too far, cadwell park is quite a long way, castle combe is a not that far really. oulton park, pembrey, anglesey are too far to come home, but I do like my own bed. and err, cant think of any other reasons really, but thats the plan at the moment. I'm not really complaining, obviously I have but I was looking forward to Brands.

I can understand what you are saying

That's why I take my home with me
Old 06-Feb-2009, 17:15
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
42mpg with a trailer on my 406 and room to sleep in it too.

If I left the beer and bike at home I reckon I'd save more money too

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 07-Feb-2009, 12:14
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Mat2hew, I think every racer in the world is reading your thread and politely suggesting you have a re-think on your travelling home plan. One or two go home if they are VERY local, eg Lil and JPM at Oulton, some do a B&B, but 95% stay in the paddock in caravans, mobile homes, tents and the back of the van - I've seen some sleeping in the back of cars, but don't recommend it for a comfy nights sleep. My first year of racing we bought a caravan for £150 and three of us stayed in it for the whole season, nice and dry and warm and comfy and we sold it for £80 at the end of the year. The ‘Loveshack’, ah the memories

Looking at the circuits, most of your 'close' ones are still 3 hours away if we're generous. So your Saturday race is towards the end of the day, maybe even last race, so you finish at 5.00pm let's say. Are you going to pack up all your gear or chance leaving it unattended whilst you are 100 miles away? Let’s say you pack it away again and you are off at 6.00pm, (which for most of us is past beer o'clock). Let's say it takes you 3 hours to get home. Can you park the van safely with all your gear or do you have to unload into the garage? In any case, it's 9.00pm and you want something to eat and an early night because you have to be up at 5.00am for your 3 hour drive to get there for 8.00am to get set up and ready for 9.00am practice session. In the meantime, everyone else has shared a load of banter and beers and had a good nights sleep. Racing is knackering in any case, so I think you might try it once and realise you can't concentrate and are therefore not safe to be around on the race track on a Sunday, let alone driving home (again) on Sunday night. Good luck getting up for work on Monday morning. Plus you will have saved a stack of dosh over the season if you stay. Also, what if you want to repair or make adjustments to your bike, when are you going to do it? Also, even although the paddocks are a bit quieter these days, if you arrive on Sunday, you are unlikely to get your old space back as someone will have parked in it and you’ll be on the fringe of the paddock on your own unable to hear the tannoy and a long walk to the loos etc.

All I do it take my pillow and spare duvet and a roll up mattress and sleep in the back of the van. Have just enough beer to take the cold off, iPod on and that's me for the night. Luvvly jubbly.

As said above, the paddock banter can be better than the racing itself. A weekend away with a load of mates around bikes and watching racing close up. Doesn’t get much better. I reckon you’ll either change your mind or try it once and never do it again.

WeeJohnyB
Old 07-Feb-2009, 12:56
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
I did the travel home thing from Brands to south hants after a fri test day and sat night after the racing, back for the sun races, so 3 round trips and tbh lots of hassle and not much rest! also missed paddock talk, circuit walk and getting the bike totally ready for the next day...only reason I did it was I fell off on the fri and wanted SWMBO to see I was ok...and I ached like fcuk and needed a bed not a tent!!

as said above, unless round the corner, I'd always stay over
Old 08-Feb-2009, 01:18
Mille

Mood: Changeable
If some of you guys want to do Brands, could you not do the odd mtg with another club who are racing there?

As for the going home.... I have done that in the past and ended up totally exhausted.

I am going to count all the miles I do this year and the cost, just out of interest. I love helping out at race meets.
Old 08-Feb-2009, 11:26
Montjuic

Has everyone gone soft since I packed in racing 17 years ago? Getting there was all part of the fun and everyone slept in their vans or campers at a 2-day meeting. Facilities at the circuits weren't exactly lush then either.

Pompey to Snetterton was always a good one as we'd get to the Red Lodge transport cafe around midnight to find it crammed with other bleary-eyed racers and crews having a fortifying fry-up before tackling the final stultifyingly dull miles of the old A11 to the circuit. Anyone know if the cafe's still there?