Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Jul-2006, 12:31
Mille

Mood: twitching
Post Power Gains With Larger Airbox- Tech Quest to all

Just working my way through the Ducati Performance Handbook by Ian Falloon that i got for fathers day and was interested in the section regarding power gains that can be achieved for the 996 and all pre 748 R's (as the 748r and 996r, 998 etc.. have the larger airbox) desmoquattro engines when the airbox size is increased from 7 to 12 litres The power is increased it becomes smoother as well as the torque curves.

To quote Brook Henry from Vee Two Australia " we have found that the largest possible airbox is best. On a 996 SPS, installing an RS airbox saw a 8 horsepower increase"

So

Question to the floor is ... Anyone done it and How much for the RS airbox? ( a question i may regret as it smells expensive and i cant stop buying things for this bike)

I have the book in electronic form if someone wants to view this and other section before buying the book?
Old 05-Jul-2006, 13:06
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Ducati made changes to the fram on the 996SPS Foggy rep to allow them to fit a larger airbox, these frame changes can also be found on the 748R/RS and the 998s.
nWithout altering the frame i'm not sure how much you could increase the airbox size by.
Although I did once come across a Airbox made in Oz that supposidly had a larger capacity than standar and was supposed to fit the earlier un-modified frames

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 05-Jul-2006, 16:25
Mille

Mood: twitching
ah, oh well...heres the page of that same item. the top left hand corner shows a large size airbox. on what is the question?

sorry had to make the image smaller due to size limitations. Bug** the text up a bit because of this.

Last edited by james81273 : 21-Jan-2007 at 12:27.
Old 09-Jul-2006, 10:40
Mille

Mood: poon tang
have a look at this site. www.hyperpastabiker.net i am going to extend my air box. as buying a corsa is big money.hope it helps you. yp.
Old 09-Jul-2006, 11:16
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Talking

Something that I intend to get around to one day. Make my own airbox that is. I had the same thoughts after reading that book.

I suppose if you are stuck with the frame with the higher brace then moving the airbox into the space that is occupied by the coolant tank and then extending down around the injectors may have some decent benefits to the engine etc.

I suppose the other option is to have the brace in the frame lowered but If welding and frame building is not a strong point, then its something best left to people that are in the know.
Thing is it could end up being a lot of work for not a lot in return. Well not without lots of other work to set it up etc.

I will get around to it on my Track bike one day maybe. If it worked out I would do the same thing on the sps. For now though, the track bike is being worked on with other things in mind so this project will have to get in line.

DC.
Old 09-Jul-2006, 11:50
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Talking

Just had a quick read of the site shown above. Pretty damn good. Lots of info if you are interested in building and putting the bikes together properly.

Good to read that the guy wanted to do the tinkering himself and learn how the engine works and how to put one together right.

Makes a change from, " I bought this bit of **** and bolted it on."

DC.
Old 09-Jul-2006, 17:11
Montjuic

Mood: Updating The Formula!
James

Have a look at the EVR one`s , had one of these , quality kit and at least if not bigger than the 748R airbox..

http://www.edovignaracing.it/en/AirboxEN.htm

Gav