Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Sep-2006, 18:26
Mille

New sprockets needed??

Im just about to order a new chain which has done over 6000 miles and is worn out, the sprockets have done the same mileage but look ok, would it be advisable to renew the sprockets aswell?? if so what make would be best to go with, its got renthal ones at the moment
Old 12-Sep-2006, 18:38
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Wink

Its always best to renew the chain and sprockets in one hit. The Sprockets that you have now may look ok but may well wear out quite quick after putting on a new chain. May even affect your new chains performance??

If putting a new chain on old sprockets was a quick fix for example, say to get you home after a breakdown then yes, but not as a rule.

As for what make? Renthal seen pretty good to be honest. If in doubt, give them a ring etc.

DC
Old 12-Sep-2006, 19:12
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Yep, same here Red-duc.

I replace all of them to be sure they get even wear.

Renthal are the best in my eyes and they do hard-anodised ali rear sprockets which give good wear for mileage.

Let us know what bike/year/gearing you currently have and I'm someone will advise any alternatives. My suggestion would be 14 tooth front sprocket for good acceleration for little loos in top speed.

Andy
Old 12-Sep-2006, 20:50
Big Twin

Mood: Feeling peckish
I'd replace the lot. I usually get mine from B&C Express, Renthal sprockets and Tsubaki chain, prices are excellent.
Old 12-Sep-2006, 21:28
Mille

The 900sl is standared gearing i think 15 front and 37 rear, Think that im gonna stick with this as i cant afford to lose any topend
Old 12-Sep-2006, 23:26
Ducati Meccanica

http://www.talon-eng.co.uk/

Although as one of my customers I pay slightly less for them. I like em

I can get you a costing if you like ?

Oh and i've had a Tsubaki chain for the last 4 years including 2 seasons ( ish ) racing.
Old 13-Sep-2006, 22:39
888 at Last !!!

http://www.BandCExpress.co.uk

I would definately recommend getting 39T rear sprocket. You'll hardly notice the top end difference but you'll get there quicker. Renthal sprockets and a Gold Alpha X ring Tsubaki chain. About £95 in all.
Old 16-Sep-2006, 12:13
Mille

Think I may go with a 15 front and 39 back then, How longer should the chain be from standard to take the bigger sprocket??
Old 16-Sep-2006, 19:58
888 at Last !!!

Dunno but the items I bought from B&C express above were fine for 2 teeth up on the rear.

Incidently, at 100mph my revs are exactly 5500rpm with 39T rear sprocket. See what your revs are at 100mph with 37T rear and I bet they will be only a few hundred lower at most. I can still pull 140mph (althought that's maxed out).

** Note: all the above figures were carried out in a controlled off-road environment by professional riders Please don't attempt to copy any of the sctunts on this message board.
Old 16-Sep-2006, 21:04
Mille

Hi Ziggi
Thanks for that, I will check the revs next time i go out which should be this week if its fine