Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Mar-2005, 10:24
DaveB916

Quote: slight concern was the near "mess up" the technician told me about, by changing the oil filter and starting the test ride before they put oil back in it !!!

If that had happened to my bikes engine they would now be looking at the big end bearings and bores for any scoring or damage!!!! I cringe when starting my bike after the winter knowing the oil will take a very short while to circulate the engine, starting it and starting to ride with no oil...........................well I just could not sleep 'til I knew there was no damage.

Any other thoughts?
Old 08-Mar-2005, 10:59
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
I would want an independant inspection of the engine at Bridgewaters expense.

Suprised they told you and when the technician realised his stupidty (of telling you) of course they are going to bluff it out.

I would be very concerned.
Old 08-Mar-2005, 11:12
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by chris large
bit the bullet and got riders of bridgewater to service it, because they did not need to adjust tappets??!! only cost £435,
i slight concern was the near "mess up" the technician told me about, by changing the oil filter and starting the test ride before they put oil back in it !!!
obviously i rigarously quizzed this, they downplayed it !!

They ran it without oil?

Of course they are going to downplay it, they don't want to spend time pulling the heads off to check the rockers and cam surfaces etc - not to mention any other damage that could have been done.

Get the engine checked over, tell them you want them to do it for free although I'd be tempted to take it somewhere else for a bit of independance.

No way you have to put up with that!
Old 08-Mar-2005, 11:47
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
mmmm......whose gonna get there bike serviced at Rider's now??
Old 10-Mar-2005, 16:27
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Just been reading this on Sigma's website about rocker wear etc, and there's a small section concerning running the bike hard from cold, or without oil.... Ouch

Might not affect Testastretta engines as much, but still got to be a major concern

[Edited on 10-3-2005 by jpmercer]
Old 10-Mar-2005, 16:36
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
I love the last comment about the fridge
Old 10-Mar-2005, 17:15

Just had my 748R in for its 3rd service at Ducati Leeds and paid £472 (new belts every year). They picked up and deliered her back for free!,
this was a winter offer complete with a 20% discount off Ducati performance parts voucher.
Reading the invoice I noticed they have used Motul oil not Shell Advance.
Any thoughts?
Old 17-Mar-2005, 23:55

Mood: worried...
Chris, Bridge in Exeter have quoted £405 + VAT for 12 mth service.
Old 18-Mar-2005, 09:22
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
DCR..I wouldnt worry too much about Motul Oil..its good gear...my 888 runs it and I think even John Hacketts changed over to it now from Shell Advance..

Nat
Old 18-Mar-2005, 09:54
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Now I`m not a lawyer(Ruth?)but it would be handy if we new the law on this [/quote]

Sparkin, I'm not a lawyer either, yet! And I haven't got time at the moment to look this up. However, as has been said, practices that restrict consumer choice are frowned upon under EU law. But the practicalities are, you'd never go to court over something like this because of the cost.

Chris large, this thread will be useful as proof of people's positive experience of warranty claims after having a non-Ducati service. If you can show that most people have had no trouble as long as their service met the criteria, you ought to be able to insist on equal treatment.