Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Jun-2004, 15:10

Mood: Perky
749R exhaust systems?

Having just purchased and ran in a 749r I'm about to turn it into a track only bike, the only thing I need to get is an exhaust system. Having done some research it seems that there are only two routes:

1. Buy a new silencer, keep the existing pipes and cut out the cat
2. Buy the full 57mm Race System at £2800.00

Does anybody know of any other options? Supposedly there isn't a 54mm system available for the 749r. I'm looking to race the bike in the future but I'm not convinced that the 57mm system is worth the extra dosh (unless anybody can convince me otherwise, I'd rather spend the money on the engine in the future).
Old 24-Jun-2004, 16:03
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
I'd give John Hackett a ring at Ducati Conventry, for starters. He'll know pretty well what works on the 749R, me thinks. Never mind, if you've already called him.
Old 24-Jun-2004, 19:12
500SD

Mood: Is it summer yet?
DMC,

I've cut the cats out of the front link pipe on 2 x 749R's already, both owners are happy with the results - but I don't believe either bike has been dyno'd before or after.

Audibly, the bikes IMHO sound awesome and different from other termi'd 749/999's.

It's a bit of a fiddle (the alignment needs to be perfect for re-assembly), but there's nothing difficult about it.

You wouldn't have bought the bike from Glasgow, would you?

Cheers!

Scott
Old 24-Jun-2004, 20:13
500SD

Mood: head down
isnt there a cat in the main box as well???
i thought this was the resion that the 999r comes with a new box and lying cylinder pipe
but i wouldnt buy a 57ti system from termi just yet as between myself and my neighbour we´ve broken 7 yes 7 end boxes this year and at €2000 or so a throw, i think an answer from ducati is required before i tell anyone to buy these systems.
a mate has the 54mm system but with the stainless end box and the unit was much more stable compared to the Ti unit which was flexing around the rear mounting bolt ............ we will see i guess
Old 24-Jun-2004, 20:23
500SD

Nathan,

If you read the original posting again mate

Quote:
1. Buy a new silencer, keep the existing pipes and cut out the cat

This is exactly what the owners of the 2 other 749R's that I know have done and removed the cat.

Cheers!

Scott
Old 24-Jun-2004, 20:37
500SD

oopps yea your right----:P
but what end boxes are they buying then, i guess non termi or cat free from the 999r ?
Old 24-Jun-2004, 20:59
500SD

Nathan,

Both 749R's I've helped along now have Termi' race cans fitted, I'm not sure what the part number is but I guess I could find out.

They sound great too.

And they haven't had any problems like those you have experienced with the big bore system - are Ducati having your old silencers returned to them for analysis?

Cheers!

Scott
Old 24-Jun-2004, 21:02
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
Techie question here i know DMC is doing it for track bikes but on road bikes ie:the newer dukes with cats S4R 749 999 multistrudel when you remove these is it an mot failure? as the cat is on the bike when bought new !

if you remove the cats on cars to fit a free flowing exhaust etc it will fail the mot are bikes the same ???
Old 24-Jun-2004, 21:30
500SD

scott,
all the end boxes are waiting to be inspected by the tech boss of ducati Germany but the good news is that my mates bike has sheared the manifold from the standing cylinder ...... oh and broken 2 springs that you can only get as a set .... for x amount of €
Old 24-Jun-2004, 21:44
500SD

Nige - I'm sure you'll find that catalytic convertors are not yet required for motorcycles in the UK - it's a pro-active approach by the manufacturers fitting these already - if anyone knows better, please feel free to correct me!

Nathan - any picures of the sheared manifold? I remember seeing the cracked rear silencer, that was ages ago though - any chance you could re-post it? Or, mail it to me direct here

Cheers!

Scott