Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Feb-2005, 02:27
500SD

Im a toolmaker by trade and I see where your coming from with mods. Its not easy doing what you have done and credit to you for having done it. Most people haven't got facilitys of own or friends to blagg or tig welders and to be able to pick up metals ie stainless and alloys easy and cheap. Most people will pay out for aftermarkets cos the works done and they look /sound good and people notice and can sell them on for good money. You are very lucky to have these skills and facilitys and carry on doing the good work. Good tips will help some and encourage others. All sorts of things in racing are copied or adapted from seeing others work and generally improved on .Thats how things evolve. But most just like whats out there made for them by the top companys. Not everybodys got time for an allotment for their own food source.
Old 26-Feb-2005, 02:54
Big Twin

Coring, with Pictures.

http://www.ducatisuite.com/superbikemufflers.html

Not for those who want to do a noise limited trackday though...
Old 26-Feb-2005, 04:26

thanks albie to be honest i.m a little dissapointed/annoyed with some comments and lack of understanding on this thread some dont realise its not because your tight or cant afford to go out & buy trick bits its the challenge & self satisfaction ,some jobs more than others i,ve got a yoshi system & carbon can on my track blade because whats the challenge in makin a bogo race can (none) yes i maybe lucky but aint that a bonus for others i,e sharpo asked how do you do ur cans. well beancounters attitude is (ducatis are supposed to cost a lot of money )i,e buy some what help is that! one of my mates can make titanium wheelnuts/spindles very cheap but hey ducatis=lots of money right .i completely understand the that looks better than this viewpoint but people dismissed my can mods straight away without even askin (wot u done then) instead lecturing on law & dot policy i thought this was a club to get help/advice & talk ducati ?
Old 26-Feb-2005, 05:11

Termi can mods

so mr-s this is what you think ive done to my cans is it .i have seen this site before & i,d never do this to mine or anybody else,s cans its a complete & utter bodge if you take a look at my breif description of what ive done im using none of the original internals whatsoever it is all completeley new if anybody dosnt understand & wants to mod there cans u2u me and i,ll help the best i can (DO NOT DO YOUR CANS LIKE THAT) if you want just a race can without removable baffle you can do the internals identical to termi race cans & no i,m not charging i.ll just tell how to do it and where to get the materials (ericthered) its called helping out.......
Old 26-Feb-2005, 09:08
Mille

Mood: For Sale...
If I hadn't already gone down the termi route I would have no hesitation to do this. Thanks for sharing with us and offering to help.

All the best.
Old 26-Feb-2005, 10:41
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
Quote:
Originally posted by tony h
but hey ducatis=lots of money right .i completely understand the that looks better than this viewpoint but people dismissed my can mods straight away without even askin (wot u done then) instead lecturing on law & dot policy i thought this was a club to get help/advice & talk ducati ?

My thoughts exactly
Old 26-Feb-2005, 11:03
Mille

Mood: Just the one bike for me now
At the start of this thread some body said modded standard cans are fraudulant and illegal.

But aren't bacon & egg Termis too ?

Delooney.
Old 26-Feb-2005, 12:29
Big Twin

Termi's are marked Not For Road use, or Race Use Only, so although not road legal, they don't claim to comply to the BS construction standards so not a fraudulent act (unless you stick an false BS label on them)

Modifying / coring your standard cans is making a constructional change, and makes them non compliant to the BS Standard. No problem, unless you try to pass them off as standard / compliant then your into and act of fraud / perverting the course of justice or whatever they could choose to use against you. This has the potential for a far greater penalty than a £30 fine and rectification notice.

Tony H

I've not said that what you have done is in anyway a poor relation to Termi's, Arrows or any other aftermarket solution.

Bu&&ered was used as subjective term and, since you gave no detail on the mod other than the briefest of details until a later post, was used purely in relation to them being no longer standard or legal.

My point in the discussion is aimed purely at the fact that once you make a change such as this the BS / E mark becomes invalid and there is the POTENTIAL for a far greater penalty than if you were running Race Use Only cans.

So, maybe my original posting was not clear and maybe inappropriately worded, however it doesn't change my opinion on the potential legal risks.

Personally, I'd rather pay the few hundred quid the race cans cost me and risk a rectification notice. Than core (and lets use this term for all modifications / professional or DIY) my original cans and risk more.

A couple of other reasons I'd not core my standard cans

- MoT - Noise testing is now subjective, regardless of the markings
- Quiet trackdays - sub 98dB days. Standard cans please
- Resale - I'd be seeing this as a subject for heavy discounting - Also a potential buyer may ask the question "If he scrimped on this, what else has he scrimped on??" - I'd also be looking for sufficient discount to replace the standard cans.
- Race cans sell separately.
- Because my times valuable, and I'll make a lot of decisions of mod vs buy based on how long will the mod take at my personal hourly rate vs buying whatever it may be.
Old 26-Feb-2005, 13:04
Dibble

tony h,

if it makes you smile, its fine by me ..... there is a holier than thou element here at times, usually just after pub chucking out time .. just ignore them ....
Old 26-Feb-2005, 13:21
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Originally posted by tony h
so mr-s this is what you think ive done to my cans is it .i have seen this site before & i,d never do this to mine or anybody else,s cans its a complete & utter bodge if you take a look at my breif description of what ive done im using none of the original internals whatsoever it is all completeley new if anybody dosnt understand & wants to mod there cans u2u me and i,ll help the best i can (DO NOT DO YOUR CANS LIKE THAT) if you want just a race can without removable baffle you can do the internals identical to termi race cans & no i,m not charging i.ll just tell how to do it and where to get the materials (ericthered) its called helping out.......

Tony H
Sorry you coped the hump that I asked if this was a professional service.
I was very interested in your mod’s as it is getting harder to duck and dive round our local constabulary with modified bikes.
As you will see from the pic I come from the highly modified side of the fence.
This is also my track bike it has been gradually developed with the help of Tecmoto in Essex over five years to look good and handle well
I suppose I could cop the hump that you think that just because someone tricks up their bike that they can’t ride it, or that spending your money on lovely engineered parts is a crime when you don’t have the skill to D I Y it
just take a look at the some of the members screen names (cashburning 748r to see the type of money joke )
As I said before good luck fella very interesting stuff
PS I will help anyone out in any way I can.