Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Apr-2006, 09:49
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
The quest for more horses over winter... thoughts ?

Well i want some more horses for no real particular reason other than, why the hell not...

Just debating the way to get the best valuse for money both long and short term

The concept of throwing a new lump in there is a good one... but then i lose some of the sale value because my engine and frame don't match ?
Old 11-Apr-2006, 10:06
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
not a fan of fannying about dropping engines in etc. imho you've just got to get the best you can with your particular model with the 'usual' mods, cans, pc111 etc. when you then feels you need more then its time to save up for a trade up.
whats yours a 916? dont know what yours has but mine was about 107 just with cans.

sorry didnt see the poll.

yeah you'll notice a difference if you even trade up to a 996.

i noticed a difference when i went from my 107hp 916 to my 146hp 999 thats for sure.

[Edited on 11-4-2006 by dickieducati]
Old 11-Apr-2006, 10:30
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Quote:
concept of throwing a new lump in there is a good one... but then i lose some of the sale value because my engine and frame don't match ?

Hello weeksy2

As it looks like you have thought about possible loss of money, would suggest you are not thinking of keeping the bike long term, up you go to a 996 then get it tuned.

thats my tupence worth,

regards

TopiToo
Old 11-Apr-2006, 10:37
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by TopiToo
Quote:
concept of throwing a new lump in there is a good one... but then i lose some of the sale value because my engine and frame don't match ?

Hello weeksy2

As it looks like you have thought about possible loss of money, would suggest you are not thinking of keeping the bike long term, up you go to a 996 then get it tuned.

thats my tupence worth,

regards

TopiToo

that's where i'm struggling mate... If i don't/can't afford to go down the swap route, i don't see me selling the bike for a long old time....

But it's a question of where to draw the line. Like most 916 riders i aspire to a 996R etc... you know, something pretty beyond words. Mine is OK currently, but far from perfect. The problem is, do i live with my imperfections, or raise some funds and trade up.....

Come winter time, if i don't sell or swap engine, then my engine has to come out and be blasted and painted as it looks a bit crappy..... but that's more money isn't it... more money i could throw at a nice 996 instead LOL
Old 11-Apr-2006, 11:13
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
If you really want more from the engine then I would go the 996 route. There is a engine on Ebay at the moment (Aylesbury)starting at £800 with a Buy it now a few hundred quid higher. Selling your 916 engine on should get between £600 and £800 I would have thought so its a fairly cheap and reliable way to get the extra power/torque.
I went from the 916 to 996 last year and the extra grunt is certainly noticable
Old 11-Apr-2006, 11:17
Mille

Mood: One day I'll be allowed out to play......
Weeksy,

I'm thinking the same as yourself, I've got a 916 and very happy with it I am, but would like just a few more ponies. The reason I own the bike, is.... (I'm justifying this to my wife and soon to be born).......it is an original 916, a bike that changed a generation, yes the later bikes were evolutions of the original, and probably much better for it, but I own the original (although it now looks far from standard/original). What I want is for this bike to be as good as it can be for a decent outlay

Wondered along the lines of a 955 re-bore, dialled cams, sps cam, 52mm exhaust throughout,......didn't think a power commander was an option for the 916...

How much power is enough?

I know it frustrates me when on track to get swallowed on the straights up by the 'bigger boys', only to catch them in the corners.

So far i've got the ITG / JHP maxflow air filter, 45mm slip-on carbon termi's, cams dialled and pirelli supercorsas.....where next for a few cheap, reliable horses???

oh, and lashings of carbon - air runners, airbox, tail unit, hugger, etc, etc...

Jas

[Edited on 11-4-2006 by hooley]
Old 11-Apr-2006, 11:17
Big Twin

what about the engine/frame differences from a V5 perspective mate ? doesn't worry you ?
Old 11-Apr-2006, 11:35
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Just fill in the change of CC and new engine number on the logbook if you go the 996 route or just the cc if doing a bigbore job. Insurance wise its probably easier to go the 996 engine route and insure it as a 996.

The other option is to lighten the bike, but magnessium parts cost, although you can get a pair of wheels for around £500, but that sort of money plus what you get for a 916 engine will buy you a 996 engine.
Old 11-Apr-2006, 11:41
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Weeksy, sell the 916 now and buy old yellas 998,

He is asking peanuts for that bike.

Ray.
Old 11-Apr-2006, 11:43
Big Twin

i don't have the 'difference' right now mate... it's more of a winter type thing. i could sell it now and i could persuade him to hold for me... but then i'm without bike for the important time of the year.