Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Mar-2006, 00:08
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Crankshaft Oil Galley Plug

Just been re-reading Shazaam's fantastic post (where's he got to recently anyway??).

I was told when I got my 748 that it was a 2001 but I'm convinced it's actually a late 2000 (gold wheels & frame).

I take it this means it will have an aluminium Oil Galley Plug?

If that's the case how easy is it to access said plug to replace with a steel version and how worth the effort is it?

Same goes for the Rockers really, as I'm planning on stripping my baby for a bit of TLC, just been waiting for it to warm up a bit as the garage is bloody freezing in this weather!!
Old 01-Mar-2006, 00:16
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
You need the crank out. Not a "major" issue. Not every alloy plug ever fitted will unscrew. It can happen but not very often.
Old 01-Mar-2006, 12:23
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
I assume I'll find directions in my Haynes Manual??

Also if it's not showing signs of backing out should it be replaced with a steel one anyway? Should these be available from my Dealer?
Old 01-Mar-2006, 12:48
Ducati Corse

Can't you just strake (not sure if thats the right word) the end with a cold chizel to stop it moving?
Old 01-Mar-2006, 13:45
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
IMO, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The instructions in the Haynes will show the crank removal etc. not sure if they cover the plug??
The steel one should fit, i don't know if the thread is the same, should be.
Unless you "really" want to, i'd leave the bottom end alone. The very least you'd need to do is replace the mains and reshim the crank. Get that wrong and the plug will be the least of your problems.
If I have a crank out, and the plug is secure then I dot punch it around it's circumference. Staking it with the chisel is the same theory.

They were known to come out, but very occasionally. It's a lot of work and £'s just to discover your's is OK and if you should get the reassembly wrong then it'll do some serious damage.
If you really want to do it, your confident and have the tools then fine, but if not, i'd leave it.............
Old 01-Mar-2006, 14:29
Montjuic

Ditto Nelly's reply. Just change the oil regularly and watch for aluminium swarf. No swarf, no problem.
Old 02-Mar-2006, 13:19
Bevel Head
Bikes: T8 SP4 / Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally posted by 748IOM
I assume I'll find directions in my Haynes Manual??

Good read here: http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/888part4.html
Old 02-Mar-2006, 14:10
Ducati Corse

Good read but i'm not sure he fully appreciates the problem. He appears more concerned with the swarf damaging the bearings that what will happen when the plug finally grinds itself away and drops out.
Old 02-Mar-2006, 14:47
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Quote:
Originally posted by nelly
IMO, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The instructions in the Haynes will show the crank removal etc. not sure if they cover the plug??
The steel one should fit, i don't know if the thread is the same, should be.
Unless you "really" want to, i'd leave the bottom end alone. The very least you'd need to do is replace the mains and reshim the crank. Get that wrong and the plug will be the least of your problems.
If I have a crank out, and the plug is secure then I dot punch it around it's circumference. Staking it with the chisel is the same theory.

they were known to come out, but very occasionally. It's a lot of work and £'s just to discover your's is OK and if you should get the reassembly wrong then it'll do some serious damage.
If you really want to do it, your confident and have the tools then fine, but if not, i'd leave it.............

Nelly

I really appreciate your post...... I was getting paranoid about starting her up , let alone riding her ( The bike that is, not the missus )

''Leave the bottom end alone'' Music to my ears.