Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-May-2004, 22:25
888 at Last !!!

Right - it's seriously shagged. I took everything off again, slackened the center nut (eventually using mole grips and a rag). It was tight. Slackened by about 1/8 of a turn. Fitted all back together. Took her out.

First off I thought oh it's all back ok. Still was turning in fast and then the front end felt like is was washing out all the time. Maybe that's supposed to be how it is. Really gave it some stick around the dual carriageways. It wasn't right but at least it was tracking in a straight line ok.

Then when I had slowed down, I found I couldn't put any steering input to the bars. Everything I did ther bike push back on me and it feels like the damper is turned right up. Stopped, backed the ohlins right off to nothing.

The steering feels and sounds like the head bearing are like sand, hard to turn handle bars - oh bugger again. Managed to get home - bit like riding one of those funny bikes that steer the opposite way to the way you steer.

SO have my head bearings gone? - I think they have - they feel dreadful !! How do I fix them and how much will it cost?

Cheers all
Old 29-May-2004, 22:48
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Fixing them shouldn't be a real problem, depends how much of the work you can do your self. I deal way would to be to remove the top yoke and bars then drop the front end out complete with bottom yoke. Then remove the adjustable headstock from the frame and the bottom yoke from the forks after first getting a measurement of where exactly it is positined on the forks. From this point anybody with the relevant tools should be able to remove the old bearings and fit new ones.
Old 29-May-2004, 23:26
888 at Last !!!

That's way too much for me. I don't have the tools to do this so it's gonna have to be a shop job.
Old 29-May-2004, 23:50
Mille

Mood: childish
zigg,
if you can raise the front of the bike off the floor ( suspend it from joists/chock from underneath) try the steering from lock to lock. it should be smooth not notchy.
this should tell you if your head bearings are (censored!)
Old 14-Jun-2004, 21:38
888 at Last !!!

Just a quick update to say that all is fine now. It wasn't the steering head bearing but 2 problems:

1. The yoke must have been slightly different as the part that goes down to the steering lock was catching on the lock stop. It needed grinding back.

and

2. The castle nut under the top yoke was too tight (not the center nut)

At least it's alright now
Old 14-Jun-2004, 22:04
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Glad you sorted it!
Old 14-Jun-2004, 22:11
Ducati Corse

Result!Was it worth it?
Old 15-Jun-2004, 15:33
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Quote:
Originally posted by ziggi
Just a quick update to say that all is fine now. It wasn't the steering head bearing but 2 problems:

1. The yoke must have been slightly different as the part that goes down to the steering lock was catching on the lock stop. It needed grinding back.

and

2. The castle nut under the top yoke was too tight (not the center nut)

At least it's alright now

Colin,
Regarding your quote: "The castle nut under the top yoke was too tight (not the center nut)"
The castle nut under the centre nut is the steering adjustment tube...it should not move! What exactly have you done to "make it alright"????
I have all the tools to adjust/dismantle the headstock..plus I have done it at least three times...plus I have a yoke we can measure to compare...plus I live in your town and am offering assistance if required!
Call me if required.
Richard
Old 15-Jun-2004, 15:40
Big Twin

Ricky you can have more than one kind of 'tight'...

eg

ranging from tight as an 18yr old nun, to tight as a northern burd

Either of these extremes will provide dodgy handling, so you wanna aim for somewhere in the middle

[Edited on 15-6-2004 by DJ Tera]
Old 15-Jun-2004, 15:46
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
DJ,
Memo to Self:
Dear Richard,
Remember..There are more colours than "BLACK" and "WHITE".