Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 13-Mar-2009, 13:14
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I'm suprised I didn't pick up on this earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
My beef is MERELY that we can buy BETTER tyres, more cheaply

Is this refering to the Maxxis tyres and if so who is claiming this
Are Maxxis claiming their tyre is better than the Pirelli Diablo as that is one hell of a claim
From that claim I take it there use will enable the DD lap recorda at all tracks to be reset with their use.
Will we be able to charge into the first corner harder after just one warm up lap.
be able to brake later in the wet and turn in harder

Or are we talking about another make of tyre and if so which
I know Pirelli are claiming the Rosso is a better tyre but not at a cheaper price

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 13-Mar-2009, 13:33
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
I'm suprised I didn't pick up on this earlier

Is this refering to the Maxxis tyres and if so who is claiming this
Are Maxxis claiming their tyre is better than the Pirelli Diablo as that is one hell of a claim
From that claim I take it there use will enable the DD lap recorda at all tracks to be reset with their use.
Will we be able to charge into the first corner harder after just one warm up lap.
be able to brake later in the wet and turn in harder

Or are we talking about another make of tyre and if so which
I know Pirelli are claiming the Rosso is a better tyre but not at a cheaper price

Now another interesting little fact that came over the air waves this morning! I am given to undertand that these Maxis tyres are actually manufactured in a place renowned for it quality control the "Peoples Republic of China" no less.

As the little sage who called me mutterd: "I suppose when the wear down a bit, Barbie's boobs will start poking out!"

Cruel but very funny!
Old 13-Mar-2009, 13:46
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Panic over, it's all been a misprint:

The Same Tread Pattern As Dunlops!
These Austone London Taxi Tyres have the same tread pattern and strong construction as Dunlop taxi tyres which are known as the market leaders.
These taxi tyres are 175R16 98/96Q and are approved by the PCO in London for fitting to all London Taxis. You will not find tyres of this quality cheaper anywhere else!! These tyres feature the key performance criteria for taxis, namely price-competitiveness and high mileage capability.
Don't forget that Dunlop taxi tyres retail at £65.00!! Put together a large order and get our best price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	262.jpg Views:	79 Size:	118.2 KB ID:	10404  

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 13-Mar-2009, 13:54
Big Twin

Question Maxxis

Just seen this on a USA supplier web site whilst doing some research;

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20...ycle_tires.htm

Maxxis Motorcycle Tires

Maxxis Website

Models available in Maxxis Motorcycle Tires for:

Street Tires:

Please note: Starting the Fall of 2008, Maxxis brand motorcycle tires for street/highway use only will be very difficult to get, due to Maxxis' decision to quit producing motorcycle tires for street/highway use only, effective January 2009. Thank you.

??????

Maxxis is a rebranding or new name for Cheng Shin motorcycle tyres made in Tawain

Maxxis: Tyre brand produced by Taiwanese manufacture, Cheng Shin Marshal:
www.tyres-online.co.uk/links/linkmanuf2.asp - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

Last edited by gordonparker : 13-Mar-2009 at 14:59.
Old 13-Mar-2009, 16:10
Mille

I'll tell you what, I'll put David Banks, the brand manager for Bickers in touch with you Gordon, or you Chris, and you talk to the guy. All I have done is to have a discussion with Kev on here when you all jumped on...had you chosen to read the FIRST of our chats you would have noticed that these tests are being conducted to see that the tyres work adequately on DD bikes, and if they do, then Bickers would approach the RC with a view to putting a proposal for their POTENTIAL use in the series, with a cost benefit over the existing tyres to the participating paying riders. Nothing more. No one has ****ged the Pirellis, no one has suggested they are unsuitable....this came about during last year when Diablos were like hens teeth and Rossos were just a twinkle in someones eye. IF these Maxxis are so bad....as has been suggested/hinted by a good number of you, then they cannot possibly give any performance advantage over the Pirellis, so let ME run them this year. And if I do better than I did last year then they may be worth looking at....i dont care where they are made...30 years ago we all used to take the **** out of stuff made in Japan, and many of you are old enough to remember that. They are made in Taiwan, which is NOT the Peoples Republic of China Chris, in case you really werent aware of that. Even Brembo have most of their discs now made in Thailand by Sunstar Engineering, and all the Big 4 Japanese manufacturers have many components made in mainland China....even Nankai leathers are made there these days.......Alpine Stars in Indonesia, so come on, lets not knock a product because of where its made, thats pathetic.....if the facts point to them being **** so be it, but childish racist accusation is well below the level I thought you'd be punching at Mr Bushell.
Old 13-Mar-2009, 16:29
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
All I have done is to have a discussion with Kev on here when you all jumped on....

I think that'll be the free speech you were on about in post #69

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 13-Mar-2009, 16:49
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Dave I would be very suprised if you didn't go a bit better this year at the final 2008 round at Cadwell you were 12 seconds a lap down on Cleggy in the damp first race and 9 seconds slower in the drier second race.

Just been on the Maxxis.co.uk website and the Sportmaxx Sport hasn't got a listing for a 160 rear although they do that size in the Sportmax Toutring tyre range.
The website is obviously out of date as its still advetising the NEC and Motorcycle-Expo show

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 13-Mar-2009, 17:06
Mille

I know Kev, a) I hate the rain and b) I just dont get any confidence out of those Pirellis. The Maxxis on the other hand felt VERY confidence inspiring. But lets wait till someone faster than Cleggy has completed his tests, then you'll have an idea of what a front runner and a mid pack runner think of the tyres, which hopefully will put an end to some of this 'banter'.....
I can confirm that the Maxxi Sportmaxx is available in a 160......
Old 13-Mar-2009, 17:24
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
I'll tell you what, I'll put David Banks, the brand manager for Bickers in touch with you Gordon, or you Chris, and you talk to the guy. All I have done is to have a discussion with Kev on here when you all jumped on...had you chosen to read the FIRST of our chats you would have noticed that these tests are being conducted to see that the tyres work adequately on DD bikes, and if they do, then Bickers would approach the RC with a view to putting a proposal for their POTENTIAL use in the series, with a cost benefit over the existing tyres to the participating paying riders. Nothing more. No one has ****ged the Pirellis, no one has suggested they are unsuitable....this came about during last year when Diablos were like hens teeth and Rossos were just a twinkle in someones eye. IF these Maxxis are so bad....as has been suggested/hinted by a good number of you, then they cannot possibly give any performance advantage over the Pirellis, so let ME run them this year. And if I do better than I did last year then they may be worth looking at....i dont care where they are made...30 years ago we all used to take the **** out of stuff made in Japan, and many of you are old enough to remember that. They are made in Taiwan, which is NOT the Peoples Republic of China Chris, in case you really werent aware of that. Even Brembo have most of their discs now made in Thailand by Sunstar Engineering, and all the Big 4 Japanese manufacturers have many components made in mainland China....even Nankai leathers are made there these days.......Alpine Stars in Indonesia, so come on, lets not knock a product because of where its made, thats pathetic.....if the facts point to them being **** so be it, but childish racist accusation is well below the level I thought you'd be punching at Mr Bushell.

David,

If you read my post more carefully, you will see that I reported that I had been told, not that I knew where these tyres were made.

I am old enough to remember buying brand new Hondas in the 70s, where part of the deal was that the dealer took the Cheng Shen tyres off the bikes, threw them in a skip and fitted TT100s, on the grounds that the tyres supplied with the bike were not fit for UK conditions. Whilst I continue to be amazed at the advances made in tyres over the 34 years that I have been riding, I personally have never and wouldn't fit anything less than the best tyres that I could get for the machine. Even on some of my little 98cc Ducati's, you wont find budget tyres on them, it is a false economy and I value my life much more than £20 saving, which is probably what it would be.

For the record I have visited both the PRC and the ROC and am more than well aware of their geographic and cultural differences.

With regard to the tyres that can be run in the Ducati Sporting Club's Desmo Due series, the only tyres that are eligable are H rated Pirelli Diablos at this time. No rider will be given dispensation to run anything other than that this year. We are also looking at an enviroment (racing) that can impose much higher loads on machines than would normally be encountered on the road, so yes quality of manufacture is very important.

I do not make such a statement lightly and without having discussed it with RC and MT members, there are a lot of reasons behind this not least of which is that it is potentially dangerous to have a mixture of tyres, with possible differing performance characteristics, on track at the same time. This in particular is because the series uses a control road tyre, which has been approved in writing by the supplier as being suitable for these machines in all racing conditions. I haven't asked Pirelli directly, but wouldn't be surprised if they withdrew their approval, if we alloowed anything other than the contriol tyre. I do understand that many series, often with a lot more power, have a free tyre rules, but by the same token, BSB and WSB run a control set of tyres; you cant run what you want there.

It could be as dangerous as someone being out on slicks when the rest of a grid is out on wets and the rain comes down hard, if we allowed you to run on Maxxis. Then again there will be the question of other riders coming back and saying that iif he can run a tyre other than the control tyre then I want to run Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone, etc. That is one of the main reasons why the series has a control tyre in the 1st place.

I for one am not prepared to take such a decision when it is potentially peoples lives that could be put at risk, especially when there is no valid reason to do so other than potentially someone might save a small amount of money (compared to the cost of doing a season) on a couple of sets of tyres.

If you personally wish to try these tyres against other makes then you will need to enter a series that does not have a control tyre, i.e a series other than Desmo Due. That is of course your decision.

Whilst you may well feel that the Club should look at changing the control tyre for Desmo Due in 2009 to something other than a Diablo, I have to say that I do not see much support for it and the majority of communication that the RC has received is that riders are happy with the Diablo and do not wish to change. In fact apart from yourself we have not received a single communication in support of consideration of a move to Maxxis or any other brand, which I have to say is rather telling!

Last edited by ChrisBushell : 13-Mar-2009 at 17:30.
Old 13-Mar-2009, 17:45
Mille

Well firstly Chris, no one was talking about cultural differences between the PRC and Taiwan, more their geographic and political situations, and the fact that Maxxis are NOT made in the PRC.
Secondly, I remember buying new bikes and throwing away BRIDGESTONE tyres....as unsuitable. But having ridden the Maxxis I am suggesting, at this early stage, that they are likely to be suitable. HOWEVER, NO ONE, and that includes me, if you read MY posts correctly, is suggesting a change of tyre for 2009, I dont know how MANY MORE times I need to say that before it sinks in......and if you look at the number of people that have contributed to this thread, PRECIOUS FEW actually ride in DD......and believe me, there IS a groundswell of riders unhappy with the tyre we use. Maybe YOU need to spend a little time in the paddock and see for yourself if you cant accept my word as someone who attends EVERY round, and who sees many riders asking for help......I am putting these suggestions forward BECAUSE of that groundswell, not because I have anything to gain, because I dont. But your unwillingness to even consider that another tyre manufacturer could give a better deal to the series participants seems odd to say the least.
As for saving a few bob and not risking lives......well dont you think warmers and wets are about the same thing? its all a question of degree. I have already said that Maxxis are QUITE happy to give you the letter confirming suitability for use WITHOUT WARMERS in wet or dry, and again, have said that sentence so many times I dont understand why you keep bringing it up as it has already been covered. I will continue the tests, on Class A and B bikes, OUTSIDE of DD, and when they are complete I will pass all the relevant info to you AND Maxxis and then you can choose to talk to them or not...its not as if anyone is ramming anything down your gullet now, is it? Talk to them, see what they have to offer, see if the results all confirm that the tyres work well on the bikes, then make your decisions, instead of closing your mind to any ideas to improve the series, which is what your current attitude seems to point towards you doing. If you are still not sure...do a straw poll at Donington, and see for yourself how many riders feel the Diablo is less than confidence inspiring. As you rightly say,you have to rely on what you are TOLD, because you dont participate yourself.....so speak to EVERY particpiating rider....not just a select few that you KNOW will agree with you.