Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Feb-2005, 11:38
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
Well. I don't want to be too 'bleeding heart' about all this and I hope I'm not being too precious.

The trouble is, you see, that I'm a mouthy type of bloke who has always got something to say. Since I have to write a lot in my job, some years ago I thought that I would be a lot more productive if I learned to touch type. So now, since I can type nearly as fast as I can speak, you lot get the dubious benefit of me being mouthy on-line as well.

I'm not saying that there is a two tier club...yet. I'm not pointing fingers at any racers, or the management team, for trying to give the DSC more pizazz. It's just that I see the first little hairline cracks appearing in the fabric of the club and all I'm saying is - let's all be aware that this could happen, and guard against it, before the little hairline cracks become bigger. I thought that I might be in a minority of one when I piped up at the AGM, but the general mutters of agreement in the meeting and the many people who told me that they shared my views in the pub afterwards tells me that we do have an issue that could escalate if it's not carefully managed.

I really hope that the series is a success, but it could also become a victim of it's own success. If it starts getting publicity on ducati.com, in MCN and some of the monthlies perhaps it may start to attract more serious racers. A couple of years down the line we could hear things like "Well, Desmodue has been a rip-roaring success, hey, have you seen that you can get a 748 for £3-3500 now? What about running a 748 series alongside Desmodue" and so on.

It doesn't take a large stretch of the imagination to see that in a few years time the club could be running several championships. You could have a growing section of the club that only cares about racing and who look upon the likes of people that staff the BMF stand as boring old fogies that they have nothing in common with.

Do you see where I'm coming from? If my DSC history is correct, the DSC itself was formed through people who wanted a livelier club that catered for the newer bikes rather than being stuck in a bevel driven time warp. Could it be that a similar racing faction might find itself at odds with the 'boring' road rider and launch the Ducati Racing Club?

I hope not, but let's not be in denial about the fact that it could happen unless we acknowledge the possibility and guard against it.

PS: Skids

Appreciate the offer of a whizz round Cadwell, but I won't be at the trackday. It's just a few days from my daughters wedding and Mrs Jools wants me to remove any possibility that I'll turn up in plaster. She could have a point, I would've been in plaster at my own wedding (after a coming together between my Kawasaki and a Group 4 armoured transit) if I hadn't sawn the pot off myself the night before

Wise words as always Jools - the very fact that you post these words along with similar words from others means, I believe, that the self-regulating nature of the DSC will prevail.

Whilst not all aspects of the race series are in control of the members, we have the ability to influence and to a degree dictate the rules - which may perhaps include prioritising of entries to the DD series??

The involvement of non-particpating members and non-members alike is key to its success, its a DSC series and long shall it remain so. We're just the clowns on the stage, the circus wouldn't run without all the supporting crews or audience. (just hope the wheels don't fall off my bike!!!! )

It is being seen as a showpiece for the DSC, but do you remember how quiet it was on this board last winter? At least we've got lots to talk about .

Tim
Old 15-Feb-2005, 12:11
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
Perhaps one of the first rules of this year should be about next year's series.
i.e. all entrants for 2006 must have been a DSC fully paid up member for a certain period of time perhaps six or nine months at the 1/1/06????????
Old 15-Feb-2005, 12:32
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by jobr
Perhaps one of the first rules of this year should be about next year's series.
i.e. all entrants for 2006 must have been a DSC fully paid up member for a certain period of time perhaps six or nine months at the 1/1/06????????

Entries for next year are not open until September I believe.

Between now and then the series organisers can take in a lot of factors to decide on the best way forward for 2006.

Whilst I agree that priority should be given to longer term DSC members, but how about if interest and attendance falls off during the year, due to any number of factors - illness, injury, weather conditions, costs, etc, etc....., I believe that the organisers should be in a better position to set guidelines such as those you suggest once the race series is over.

It may be that it'll need an intake of experienced racers or outsiders to keep the series alive?

Many race series have not survived beyond their first year I'm told and we should allow this year's series to start and run before any entry decisions are made about next year's.

Tim
Old 15-Feb-2005, 14:37
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Jools, I am not worried about the club becoming a two tier club as I don't think that will happen, what I am worried about is the series being taken over by outside bodies, namely race clubs.

Any race club can introduce a new class and set the rules including rules about who quallifies to enter, thats why this year I would like to see a ruling that stops riders that are not currently a DSC member from becoming so and then entering the series as we already have over 30 entrants far more than the minimum requirement. The problem will be retaining this level of entrants next year and the following year from within the DSC if we get to restrictive in the Clubs rules in who can and can not take part.

Maybe next years entrants should be restricted to Novice Race Licence holders, ie. those with less than 10 signatures on their licences, that will be out for a start but I have no problem with that I may just have to find a rider for my bike, also a cut off date for DSC membership as jobr suggests may be needed. Be interesting to see if the latest you could become a DSC member and enter next years series was the BMF show how many racers may turn up to join the club.

Still I know the MT share a lot of our concerns and are no doubt already considering differnt options for the way ahead.

And Jools if we find we meet up at another trackday post wedding then the offer still stands
Old 15-Feb-2005, 17:46
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Have to agree with Jools on this one with DD appearing to dominate everything at the moment. I know it's a new venture for the club and one that I totally support, but it does need to be controlled right from the outset and remain part of the club fabric. I would be doing it myself apart from no money and no bike - if everything works out this year then 2006 I'll be deffo up for it. I fear that the events away from the board and DD will suffer with falling attendances at rideouts and meets, where we can equally spread the Ducati message and where we can meet a wider range pf people - after all not everyone wants to race.

Let's hope this doesn't split the club into the racers and others - that would be really sad for what is a great club with some great people in it.
Old 15-Feb-2005, 18:16
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Boys,

The briefing note is out on the e-mail to all of you, any questions come back to us.

As stated at the AGM there is no intention that Desmo Due should take anything away from the existing or future activities of the Club. Yes it has had a lot of profile recently and taken a lot of focused effort from all of those involved, entrants and behind the scenes, but it is only one activity within the whole Club that will happen on 6 days this year. Remember that we are having half that number in track days as well.

It is in addition to everything that we normally do, not instead of.

Chris
Old 15-Feb-2005, 18:28
Mille

Mood: ok
i'm not one for saying a lot but i shall be a bit peeved having bought and preped a bike just to be told i can't ride next year in dd for any reason whatsoever. i joined dsc sept 04 and it was only reading the board that
got me excited enough to send my cheque in to do the series so please don't tell me i can't do something because i;ve not been a member long enough or posted to little on the board. besides i've spent to much to back out now
Old 15-Feb-2005, 18:33
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
There is no need to be concerned if you were a member at the turn of the year you are fully eligable this year and next.

Chris
Old 15-Feb-2005, 18:43
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBushell
Boys,

The briefing note is out on the e-mail to all of you, any questions come back to us.

i think the cyber-postie has nicked my email
Old 15-Feb-2005, 18:46
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
i think the cyber-postie has nicked my email

Maybe it was sent 2nd class e-mail!