Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Apr-2006, 04:42
Mille

Mood: positive energy, man.....
I ran my RC30 on a daytime MOT a year or so ago, because I couldnt get the projector headlight to point in the right direction - I think I had it aimed at my cheesy grin - I just took some gaffer tape to it and was given the ticket - I understand that a brake light and non bulb horn are requirements - I did think that the bulb horn that I had fitted was tremendous but I had to take it off because I couldnt stop parping it at every opportunity
Old 29-Apr-2006, 02:32
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Neil

Don't worry about the I.O.M. you'll get away with anything there....except speeding....a big no no.

I'm jealous of your trip though.

Where are you sailing from?

Phil
Old 29-Apr-2006, 17:23
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
Sail out of heysham on Sat 3rd, ferry leaves at 1.45pm. If it's near you, could meet up for a cuppa if ya fancy
You mention speeding in the IOM, I've noticed that there is a huge DoT push to have an island wide 60mph limit imposed prior to the TT and that this limit would then stay in place as per the mainland - damned shame.
DoT stats claim 39 RTA fatalities on the Island (12 month period) but there is no other data to show how these link to road & weather conditions, age of those involved, roadworthiness of vehicles. or whether they were pedestrian step outs etc - so it's the usual clap trap of 'speed kills' being peddled once again with little data being publicised to be looked at by us normal types...
cheers

Neil
Old 03-May-2006, 19:55
Ducati Corse

Even if you have a daylight MOT you still have to comply with Contruction and Use regulations which basically say that if you bike left the factory with lights, indicators etc they must still be fitted and in full working order.
Old 03-May-2006, 22:05
500SD

well that's damped the whole topic down some !!
damned regulations...I'll cross the bridge when I get to it and report back in a couple weeks time...
Old 03-May-2006, 22:10
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
as said before about MOT's being worthless ?
then why do police give out vehicle rectification notices.
tested by MOT stations
and the DVLA still say you don't need lights.
like some others. I'll take my chances.
Old 18-Mar-2007, 20:30
500SD

Daytime MOT

Thought I'd post up on this old chestnut again, as it's that time of year.
Just had my bike through it's MOT on Saturday, took it along to the test station and was immediately told it would fail if I didn't tape up my brake light !!!!
Taped up the brake light and he tested the horn and speedo etc and it now has an MOT, albeit issued with 2 advisory notes:

1 Exhaust Noisy
2 Vehicle presented for test in daylight trim

Exhaust Noisy - not a bad observation for a full termi spag system - eeek....

I discussed construction and use regs and he commented that it wouldn't matter if the bike was just 3 years old - if it was presented without Head light, Tail light, Brake Light & Indicators, but had a working horn (not bulb type) and Speedo / ODO then according to current regs it would pass with the 'daylight trim' advisory note...

Neat info - apparently the traffic chaps can't ticket you at all, well they can give you a producer, but so long as you are out & home between posted daytime hours then you cannot be prosecuted.

I was shocked by the brake light thing as I didn't expect to have to tape it up to pass the MOT, needless to say I think it's a good safety device and promptly removed the tape when I'd been issued my certificate...

Now looking forward to some decent weather !
cheers

Neil
Old 18-Mar-2007, 20:38
500SD

Dan, been a while gaining the experience to allow an 'educated & enlightened' response but I can now tell you that yes the MOT testers manual lays down the law for MOT's - the chap I went too specifically mentioned section 1, he states that this is the bible in the eyes of the law and definitely over rides anything that an unfamiliar Police Officer may attempt to lay on you.
If anybody in the County Durham area is looking for a good guy that knows his eggs & regs then I'd recommend SNC in Darlington.
cheers

Neil
Old 18-Mar-2007, 21:16

Iīm coming back to uk. In Germany if the bike isnīt in original production state or you parts fitted that have not be certified by the German MOT then you donīt get a cert. Tyres have to be the original spec that the log book states mirrors, lights have to be fitted, brake lines must be certified. Race cans are an
absolute no and emmission tests are mandatory. It absolutely amazes me what you guys get away with.

Regards

Steve

P.S I suppose the non speed limit on motorways makes up for a lot
Old 19-Mar-2007, 00:44
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Neil, interesting that they told you to tape up the brakelight-I have been told that a stoplight and continuously sounding horn were the only requirements. Needless to say if they tell me to tape it up to pass that tape will becoming off straight afterwards.

Cut and pasted from the MOT UK site:
This inspection applies to; all machines except those which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or has such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are (see 1.1).

Exemptions
For this test if a stop lamp is fitted, it must meet the requirements of this inspection, but need not be fitted to a machine which:

a. cannot exceed 25mph, or
b. was first used before 1 January I936.or
c. was first used before 1 April 1986 and which has an engine capacity of less than 50cc.

Operation
Stop lamps may operate in conjunction with either the front or the rear brake, or both. On machines first used on or after 1 April 1986, the stop lamps must operate by the application of each system.

On machines without a battery or with an insufficiently charged battery, it will be necessary to run the engine.

So I think they were wrong to tell you to tape it.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!

Last edited by Monty : 19-Mar-2007 at 00:48.