Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 11-Dec-2009, 15:36   #1
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Angry Friday Rant - Hot topic
Climate change, of course the ***king climate changes, it changes every hour, every day, every week………………… The world is suffering from climate change, WTF does that mean, everywhere there’s too much rain, too much snow, everywhere is too cold, too hot or too just right?

Now we have climate sceptics and climate saboteurs. WTF does that mean? Climate sceptics don’t believe climate exists? Climate saboteurs are trying to make it less sunny, more sunny, or rain more to ruin someone’s day?

I notice that the phrase “Global warming” is used less and less, now is the greatest threat we face is “climate change”

What next? Global warming morphs into climate change then in a year or two Global cooling, the next bright idea scientists come up with that needs ££££££££ to fund their research.

Who the ***k are we meant to believe these days, politicians? nope, got their noses in the trough and make pie crust promises on a daily basis. Scientists?, nope, they manipulate data to help prove their pet theories and throw their teddies out of the pram when we don’t believe their “science”.

Nurse………..me tablets……………..and turn the heating up………

Ray.
Old 11-Dec-2009, 16:08   #2
Big Twin

Dont know if you watched the thing on TV with Tony Robinson. Climate change has been going on since the start of time. Hot-Cold-Hot-Cold so on and so forth there is nothing we can do about it, its nature and thats that.
But atleast one good thing the greedy Goverments can sting us with "Green Taxes"

P1ss is boiling
Old 11-Dec-2009, 17:16   #3
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Hasn't global warming been taking place since the last Ice age

I hear you can now circum-navigate the North pole
is that because
A, the sea level has risen
B, The artic is melting
C, Both

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 11-Dec-2009, 18:21   #4
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
who do you belive?!
scientists who are vying for billions in investment...
politicians who want to control and scare the public...
green lot who belive not washing is an acceptable waty of reducing overuse of water...
or sceptics who often belive nothing any governement says

all I know is, the facts presented by Gore were not facts; mainly opinion, and therefore is the whole lot based on lies?!

who knows
Old 11-Dec-2009, 18:50   #5
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Surely, as ever, the truth lies somewhere between the two extremes. Yes, the climate is always changing and nothing that mankind of today can do will change that.

What does appear to be the case is that the rate of climate change is accelerating, and that is more likely as a result of the impact of 20th/21st century industrialisation.

Unfortunately, it's too easy pickings for the government whether it's true or not

Anyway, we're struggling at work, need the oil price to go back up, so can everyone please go out and buy a big V8 and get things moving again please

Martin
Old 11-Dec-2009, 18:54   #6
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
The climate is certainly warming. CO2 is a greenhouse gas. C02 is not the only greenhouse gas and many things have historically influenced climate. CO2 has shown a dramatic rise since the industrial revolution. Those are facts. After that, things get messier. as we cannot know how much of the current rate of warming is due to the huge rise in C02. However, increased CO2 will increase the rate of climate warming regardless of the current underlying trend. Scientists have been worried about this since the '70's and even the politicians are now mostly convinced by the evidence.

The climate has certainly shown huge swings in the past. Saying that is not much help as some of those swings were extremely severe. We are performing a big experiment with an uncertain outcome.

Remember the ozone hole? We came pretty close to destroying a highly important protective layer of the planet so saying that nothing we do will influence the planet is somewhat unjustified.

Keith

ps I am a Scientist and have never manipulated data and rarely thrown teddies.

Keith
Old 11-Dec-2009, 18:58   #7
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith888
Remember the ozone hole? We came pretty close to destroying a highly important protective layer of the planet so saying that nothing we do will influence the planet is somewhat unjustified.

Keith

ps I am a Scientist and have never manipulated data and rarely thrown teddies.

Keith

did we?? seemed to go away pretty quickly. The main issue for us in Britain is that none of the rest of the world, except maybe sweden and noway, will take any action...but we will and that will cost money, jobs and goodness knwos what!!
Old 11-Dec-2009, 19:07   #8
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
I'm only 30 so I can't really remember how the climate was 20 years ago or before. But I am really concerned at the number of floods or even hurricanes hitting our shores nowadays.

So yes I think things are changing, and not in the best possible way.

But then we leave in such a moaners and cry babies society, I can understand how climate change can become a very easy target.
Old 11-Dec-2009, 19:17   #9
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
did we?? seemed to go away pretty quickly. The main issue for us in Britain is that none of the rest of the world, except maybe sweden and noway, will take any action...but we will and that will cost money, jobs and goodness knwos what!!

Your first point merely demonstrates that concerted action (in this case to restrict the use of CFCs) was highly succesful once the problem was identified. Surely you don't deny the evidence linking the destruction of the ozone layer to CFC levels?

Your second point has nothing to do with the central problem but relates to what we do about it. I personally believe that the politics will not come up with any meaningful solution and we will continue on the current track until oil running out/massive price rises means the alternatives to oil become econimically viable.

Keith
Old 11-Dec-2009, 19:22   #10
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
The main issue for us in Britain is that none of the rest of the world, except maybe sweden and noway, will take any action...but we will and that will cost money, jobs and goodness knwos what!!

What is it with the Brits that they always feel like they're being ripped off by the rest of the world?

Dude, are you refering to that news of funds pledged by European countries? If so, I can read many names of rich nations in there:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8407112.stm

And even though Brown says the UK's promise was the highest (in case that's what you were refering to), French medias are talking about a 50-50 repartition of the UK-France joint promise... So, who knows?

Postbit Selector