Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Dec-2005, 13:47
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
This is an interesting point I've been going over in my head. Those of us on here with a fair bit of experience (not me) will be smiling at us as they've been down this road before I'm sure but ...

i guess this is what im hoping for , some comments from some guys that have been at this point before>>>would be useful

it will be interesting to know how you find the slcks when you try them.

[Edited on 24-12-2005 by Bungi]
Old 24-Dec-2005, 14:01
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Some good advice, thanks guys.

How hard will I push the 998R - not as hard as the DD bike. But I'm not going pish around either. I've got a lot of things I want to work on with my riding and I find that a lot of things only come together for me when I'm in a groove. Then of course I want to try the slicks and see if I can notice the difference and see if I can go a bit harder.

I've heard a rumour that a few Glasgae boys were fairly nippy. Bill around the 2:00 mark and Martin around the 1:55 mark? Sounds like Martin is pretty quick.

Is the old girl tracked up TP? fairings etc.......I remember seeing Everton almost in tears at Silverstone after rashing one of his carbon fairings....
Old 24-Dec-2005, 14:10
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Is the old girl tracked up TP? fairings etc.......I remember seeing Everton almost in tears at Silverstone after rashing one of his carbon fairings....

Yep - full track trim including a tank. All in black

The original stuff will be in the loft.

Having said that, a lot of the track stuff is carbon too! Tim's old stuff but I have destroyed a bit of it when I crashed at Rocky .. I've replaced those panels with Barry's GRP stuff.
Old 24-Dec-2005, 14:39
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Treaded tyres every time for me, latest Pirellis or Metzelers usually, not yet fast enough for slicks.
Just watching things like R6 Cup, National Superstocks, 600 Supersport etc show me that I am not yet getting near the limits of what I already use.
Old 24-Dec-2005, 14:44
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
I've replaced those panels with Barry's GRP stuff.

:cough: hello....
Old 24-Dec-2005, 15:21
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
I've replaced those panels with Barry's GRP stuff.

:cough: hello....

Oh yeah - and one panel replaced by the good man Freak

I had to buy another nosecone and bellypan too in the end! Damn Rockingham!

Oh, this is TP at Phillc's place
Old 24-Dec-2005, 16:12

hello, i have found that slicks work in a narrower band of conditions, the temperature is the first and they do take an extera lap compared to treaded tyres to warm up. also as they have more outright grip and no tread they move around less and feel more surefooted when your near the limit, but then there is less warning that you are near the limit. I think you need to be a very good rider to really benfit from using them the new supercorsa pro and dunlops are so good now that at thruxton the british supersport 600s are lapping as quick as the suprbikes did in 97 or 98.
Old 24-Dec-2005, 17:41
Ducati Dealer
Mille
Bikes: 1098R Track Bike

Mood: Dealer of the Year 2008
Hello folks,
I've done loads of miles on slicks, this season and last!

All the info i've read on this thread is pretty spot on. I'll include a few of my observations.

I have only used 17" as that's standard on my 749R.

You would use different compound dependant on the the track your at. Wear rate / grip will determine that.

This sometimes takes a bit of trial and error. Eg this year at Jerez I put on some Michelin softs front and rear. Stunning grip (and I mean stunning!) but they were completely wrecked to the point of sliding everywhere after 15 - 20 laps!
That's what you would expect though from a soft (think almost qualifying) tyre.

The difference in grip between a hard and soft can be felt but to a mere mortal like myself, I choose durabilty (less cost) over grip so go for med or hard dependant on venue.

The Michelin front is also very "pointy". ie. a tall tyre with a good sidewall grip. I found it changed the set-up on the bike and it felt a bit twitchy. A few clicks and ride height change sorted that.

Tony, the best slick combination I found on Jerez was a hard rear and medium front. You'll should get a good full day of sessions when the tyre is good. Your pace will dictate how long they last but the grip is far superior (simply more rubber in contact with the deck than treaded tyres) and the wear rate will be comparible to the guys on road tyres (if not better in my experience!).

You def can feel the extra grip, but the first time I tried them, I thought I hadn't tightened the front wheel up enough as the bike was turning so fast. It was just the higher profile on the tyre. A few laps later, it was incredible, you can push the front SOOO much harder without feeling you're risking as much.
It's true the pro's can do it on a road tyre but having a slick on gave me a mental edge where I felt I could push that little bit harder.

An excellent compromise is the Michelin Pilot Race (track and dry-ish road). Different compounds available and the grip is superb almost like a slick!!

You honestly don't need tyre warmers although they are recommended. You just have to take it REAL easy and let the tyre heat up slowly.
If you go too hard too fast you could
a) come off and feel like a right knob! (worst error this, nearly done it myself a few times DOH!!, all for the sake of waiting a few laps)
b) cause "cold tear" where the tyre and track conditions are at such different temps and the tyre just rips to bits in a few hot laps.

Pirelli Diablo / Corsa, Michelin Pilot Road / Race, Rennsports, are all fantastic tyres I have used in various different venues / temps. (EG. Imola, Jerez, Croft, among others)
If you spend a few laps getting them up to temp you'll be on it.

IMHO, slicks are the dogs, don't cost much (if any) more dosh, and give you a mental edge that will help with the lap times More speed and less risk! (well it feels that way anyway)

They take a bit of getting used to as I said above but def worth a try. I would say go for it!!!

This pic on the Michelins, I really miss this place!!!
Old 24-Dec-2005, 17:42
Ducati Dealer
Mille
Bikes: 1098R Track Bike

Mood: Dealer of the Year 2008
And this one.
Old 24-Dec-2005, 20:32
GTL

GREAT PICS, I can ONLY dream about getting that STYLISH