Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Nov-2006, 13:59
Bevel Head

Ducati Red Paint Code?

Hi, I have a '94 Strada, does anyone know the paint code and a good source for home spraying? Will Halfords be able to mix it for aerosol?

also decals.

cheers
Old 15-Nov-2006, 15:05
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
Duc have used 2 paint codes for the red that I know of (could be more), I've got a touch up pot at home with a source code on it so I'll post this one later, but it could be different to your panel colours.
Best thing would be take a panel to the local spray shop and if it's a good shop they'll have a light box and colour swatches / measuring units, so you could just have those guys tell you what it's a match with.
Or am I being too anal....

Neil
Old 15-Nov-2006, 15:26
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
They all seem to be slightly different and red fades and shades depending on the base colour too.

I resprayed all the parts this winter to get it all matched up as the spray guy wasn't confident he'd get a close match - Yes, he's too fussy!

Rgds,

Rob
Old 15-Nov-2006, 16:15
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
As far as I know there is Ducati "Rosso Red" that is used on pre-2001 bikes and "Anniversary Red" for later bikes (there may be more with newer bikes).

Rob is right though, depending on whether the bike has seen more sun, more miles, more polish, more T-cut or whatever the paintwork will have faded to a greater or lesser extent.

Halfords will be able to mix the paint, but only to a standard recipe, and you will find it is too orangey. What you really need to do if you really want an aerosol mixed up is go to an independant paint factor. Best if you can find one that is a distributor for PPG paint (that's Ducati's supplier). They will have swatches and devices that analyse the colour and will be able to do a custom tint for you. The paint will be just the colour coat, you will also need a compatible lacquer to get a decent finish because the idea is that you build a colour coat, flat it back so it's matt, then the lacquer makes it shiny again.

Mind you, if you're doing it from aerosol maybe you're not too fussy about an exact match ???

Bear in mind that Aerosol paint is simply pigment particles suspended in solvent and dries simply by the solvent evaporating leaving the pigment in place. It is nowhere near as tough as proper two-pack paint where the pigment carrier is mixed with a catalyst and the paint actually cures chemically once it is applied (a bit like epoxy resin). The paint factors won't sell you this stuff because it gives off cyanide based gases as it cures and unless you've got all the right breathing apparatus (no, not a B&Q dust mask) it'll kill ya. They'll only sell this stuff to professionals with properly equipped spray booths.

If you do spray it with aerosols, be prepared for the paint to flake straight off again at the merest hint of a stone chip.

Funnily enough though, and after saying all that, Halfords do carry aerosols of Bright Red Plastikote paint, which is a pretty good match once it's lacquered up.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 15-Nov-2006, 16:24
500SD

just knew I was too fussy lol
Old 15-Nov-2006, 16:47
Big Twin

Halfords will mix it But use Ferrari Rosso Red Post and Pre 2001, Exactly the same as Ducati's pre or post 2001 Rosso reds. I should know Ive used it
Old 15-Nov-2006, 21:11
500SD

mine is coded DUC46354 Rosso
Old 16-Nov-2006, 02:24
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Found on the Ducati.net website:

http://www.ducati.net/faq.cfm?id=3

possible source:

http://www.cyclecolor.com/id19.htm

finally - from our friends at Ducatisiti:

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/ptopic36.html

Cheers - Frank
Old 16-Nov-2006, 09:44
Bevel Head

Thanks fellas. I have found a local PPG supplier that'll sell me it, but its £120 a litre! The aerosol was just to spray the wing mirrors, but I agree it won't last so I'll just get them done at the same time with 2pac. Thanks for the advice on the health hazards.

Russ
Old 16-Nov-2006, 12:40
Mille

My '94 Strada is the same colour as the 94' 916. In other words not the same as earlier 851s, it is slightly darker.