Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Mar-2007, 12:20
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
Cheers John, it does look like the MOT chap had his wires crossed doesn't it !
Never mind - I'll still be running mine with the brake light in place.
thanks

Neil
Old 19-Mar-2007, 13:19
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 851neil
Just had my bike through it's MOT on Saturday, took it along to the test station and was immediately told it would fail if I didn't tape up my brake light !!!!Neil

I had exactly the same thing on the DR350. It never came with front lights fitted (as it is the enduro model) and when I took it for the MOT, I was instructed that unless the rear light was taped up, It would be an immediate fail!

Bit of gaffer tape an one minute later...all fine, and pass!

Not quite sure what the piece from Monty is all about, but I was told its basically all or nothing. All lights fitted and working, or no lights, and that included the switch gear also that needed to be either removed or taped up.

The tester was telling me how it is all a bit of a joke, as if you do get stopped by the police and they issue you with some form notice for failure to comply, they will instruct you to take the bike back to be tested at some point (the only locaion that can issue the MOT is the test centre after all, not the police station)...at which point the tester will say all is OK...this has happened at this centre on a couple of occasions already!

Agreed with the above comment though that as soon as I left the test centre, I removed the gaffer tape anyway!

Lets face it, this a totally grey area...your not going to end up doing bird for this! You may get asked for a re-test or something, at which point it is fully documented that the test centre passed you...so whats the problem? The problem is with the contradiction in rules and regs...just use them to do what you wish.
Old 19-Mar-2007, 17:56
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
exactly - my take with the Police (if I'm ever stopped) will be that if they want my bike re-testing they can pay for it, after all why the hell should I stump up the £30 or so to have it done when they don't understand the regs ????
BTW all of the switchgear was removed from my bike also.
cheers

Neil