Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Jan-2004, 09:15
Montjuic

Mood: Flying!
Brake Judder

Hello, new here so go easy peeps.

Depressed as I havent been out for a while, today is looking good for it though.

Anyways, I have a 2001 748s that has a problem with brake judder at the front slowing from around 70- 20mph. It went for a winter service in October at Moto Rapido, Winchester. They have checked the front discs runout and they are both within tolerance, they did find that the headstock bearings were slightly loose and have tightened them. This has improved the judder but not eliminated it. The pads have been checked and scrubbed and are pretty much new condition. So what to check next??? Front wheel balance?

TIA
James

PS Anyone in here from around Camberley, Surrey??
Old 17-Jan-2004, 09:50
Montjuic

Ta for the quick reply. Reading is just a nice hack away so shouldnt be a prob. I have only got a rear stand unfortunately. The other pi55er is that I am in work today and tomorrow. (Basildon!!!) AARRGGH! I am going to pop to Roadwheel in Fleet quickly some time next week to get the balance done, if this dosent cure it then front wheel swap it is.
Old 17-Jan-2004, 13:15
Bikes: 1098S, 996SPS, CBR1000RR (for when it rains!)

Jim

I live in ash and can help look at the problem. According to my service dept your fault could be a number of things, but most proberly the state of the discs and pads. When u say as new are they new after market jobbies or still the original pads as i suspect the problem is with the pads/ disc combo. If u need help e-mail me at work and we can meet up.

cheers
Bryan
Old 17-Jan-2004, 13:49
Montjuic

Nice One Bryan,

The discs are the original Brembo's and the pads are Brembo as well. The pads were replaced before I got the bike and both pads and discs look in good shape. I shall email you offline on your work address and try and catch up as you are only down the road. I live in Frimley near Pine Ridge Golf Club.
Old 17-Jan-2004, 14:04
Bikes: 1098S, 996SPS, CBR1000RR (for when it rains!)

Do u live on the army barracks? cos if u do i sold u a hugger!

bryan
Old 17-Jan-2004, 14:07
Montjuic

Nope, deffo not a squaddie!! I live opposite the course. It is a newish estate inside Heatherside. I think it was called Kings Hurst but not anymore. Tis adjacent to Cheylesmore Park.

Just noticed my Avatar is fekin huge, must alter that.
Old 26-Jan-2004, 09:09
Mille

Mood: I'm Bad!
I once had a similar problem with the front wheel juddering;
Was down to the numpty that did my tyre's - he put loads too many weights on the front wheel, and caused a massive imbalance.
However it didn't effect me in the way you've described - it was seemingly ok a low (below 40mph) speed, but above 40mph it would judder/shake, and when upto 70+mph the front end was litterally all over the place - didn't really effect the brakes.
Old 26-Jan-2004, 09:40
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Jim.........

........I live in Camberley, just off Park Road.

I've got a spare front wheel with disks that we could quickly fit to see if we can sort the problem.

I've got stands etc, so just bring her over one evening this week and lets get her sorted out.

Tim
Old 26-Jan-2004, 11:33
Montjuic

Thanks Rattler!! I cant believe how many helpful people there are on this forum compared to others!

My exhaust system is currently being polished near where I work and is not due back until Wednesday
(bloody good deal - exhaust, footpegs, heel guards, heat shield all for £40)

I shall probably have the bike running again by the weekend. Would it be possible to do some trials then (weather permitting/SNOW?)

I would like to get this problem sorted as it is quite unnerving approaching fast bends.

Let me know how you are fixed for this Saturday or Sunday, if not then maybe an evening next week.

Thanks all.

Jim
Old 28-Jan-2004, 20:36
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Jim - you\'ve got a U2U