Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jan-2004, 21:24
Montjuic

Mood: Sweet!!
Sounds good to me Michael.

Thanks for the help guys - thinking about it, the bike was popping and banging a bit on the overrun (sounds good mind), if it was carbed I'd have said that the pipes had been fitted without re-jetting/setting up. Tonight I had a look at the ECU and found that the Ducati sticker was still on the top untouched - hmmmm, looks like some further investigation is needed!

Dave.
Old 21-Jan-2004, 22:57
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
Dont be too hasty Dave.
If the chip was fiotted at a Ducati dealer they replace the sticker with a Ducati one as they did this to my mates 748 after sorting the fuelling.
Worth a word with the last service peeps for their records, if kept, or with the last owner?
Old 21-Jan-2004, 23:00
GTL

Mood: ten, nine, eight oh bu**er lets go!
Dave,

The 02R came with a set of 50mm 'open' termis and the chip to go with them plus the standard road cans which are also made by Termignoni.

A paddock stand and cover were also supplied with the bikes originally.

If the carbon termis have been fitted the Ducati chip which should have been fitted into the ECU is labelled 965030AAA

I'm sure you've read it elsewhere, but cut the label round the bung in the top of the ECU, pull out the bung and check the chip number.

As a temporary measure, seal round the bung with insulating tape to stop the ingress of moisture until you fit a new label; duc dealers should keep them and they are quite cheap.
Old 26-Jan-2004, 11:41
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
i Have the 02R....AMAZING bike...i have the 50mm termigs fitted...it has no flat spot but is a little lumpy at low revs..and can occasionally stall..i just blip the throttle when slowing to a stop and its fine..............

THE BEST BIKE EVER.....................

The cans were fitted by ducati together with the different chip..would a JHP chip benefit me.?
Old 26-Jan-2004, 19:08
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
I know iv'e only got a bip but the chip jhp sent for my bike with 45-50mm blue flame cans was spot on not a flat spot in sight and idles perfectly all backed up by a recent dyno run as well
Old 26-Jan-2004, 19:28
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Nigel, where were you on Saturday, we missed you at the AGM!
Old 26-Jan-2004, 20:24
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
Working
Old 26-Jan-2004, 20:40
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by fil2
i Have the 02R....AMAZING bike...i have the 50mm termigs fitted...it has no flat spot but is a little lumpy at low revs..and can occasionally stall..i just blip the throttle when slowing to a stop and its fine..............

THE BEST BIKE EVER.....................

The cans were fitted by ducati together with the different chip..would a JHP chip benefit me.?

JHP are known to have the best chips mate, the only way to find out if its worth doing though is to get the R on the dyno - make sure the operator washes his hands first!
Old 27-Jan-2004, 05:38

Mood: On it!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lily
Quote:
Originally posted by Livo
Hi Dave,

Same same really but just to add that the idle problems are really associated with the effects of the lighter weight fly wheel fitted to the 748R and also the lower weight of the reciprical parts. I compared some of these in the factory with the 9** parts and the difference in size and mass is easy to see.

This causes a loss to the normal levels of inertia and stored energy carried by the rotating mass at low revs and is not something that can easily be overcome.

As said already, the engine has evolved for the track and that is the price we have to pay..

Tough life eh?

Livo

Hmmm, this actually sems to make sense.

Mine has all the same issues (from what I remember )

As an extra point, I was initially told that the reason the bike sometimes cuts out when sshutting off suddenly was due to the effect of the bellmouths closing and because of the shower injectors the extra fuel sitting there caused the engine to cut out when stopping suddenly ???

Seemed like a bit of a story at first, but once the chip was changed and set up it seemed a whole lot better on mine although it still does it at times.

I didn't realise the R had a lightened flywheel though?? Is this just against the 99* or against other 748 models?

Lily,

The lightweight flywheel was introduced on the MY2001 bikes I believe (mine is 2001), at the same time the frame had the guage reduced by 0.5mm. Therefore a difference should well be seen between the earlier 748R years. Would be interesting for someone to ride a 2000 back to back with a 2001 or later bike...