Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Jan-2004, 15:07
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Cat \'C\' 916 Biposto

Hi all.

Advice/comments please. Have a chance of buying back my old 916 that was totalled by some prat knocking me off. It was a 'cat c' but the damage was really just cosmetic, with a scuff to the swingarm.

I obviously know the history (I owned it since new) and its a mint bike (although the repair company that bought it/repaired it sprayed it in horific colours !!!), and its only done 8k miles with a full history ('97 R)

Now I think my hearts ruling my head here..but Id really like it back to get back to its former glory !!!

Question..what do you think I should pay ??(nostalgia aside!!!)

Seems you can get most 916 bits of ebay these days so shouldnt be mega expensive putting it back to its former glory. Heres a before photo...

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by Nattyboy]

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by Nattyboy]
Old 23-Jan-2004, 15:11
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
And afterwars...aarrrghhhhh!

Old 23-Jan-2004, 15:37
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
So where's the damage, my Cat C has had a new front end and has had all the bodywork replaced.
Old 23-Jan-2004, 17:07
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I don't think it's so horrific. The stickers don't do it any favours and that gold chequered flag effect is naff, but the base colour metallic (or pearl) is pretty cool...different enough to be interesting, and not to garish.

Even if the stickers are lacquered over you may be able just to sand back the lacquer, take the stickers off and re-lacquer it although the naff chequering is obviously part of the paint job.

Black or grey wheels would do the trick as well.
Old 23-Jan-2004, 17:54
Bevel Head

Hi Mate,
After my high-side at Jerez, mine looks a million times worse than yours must've/does, and its not really gonna cost me too much to sort it out.

You said it yourself, alot of the parts, should you want to change any, are available on ebay, and theres so many available, the prices are very good too.

I say if its a bargain, go for it. You know what the bikes been through as you were there, so theres no nasty come-back to consider.

The Checkered flag DOES look bloody dredful tho!

Nothing that can't be sorted with a couple of new panels from eBay........

And just to make you feel MUCH better, heres a pic of mine looking sad in a pit garage in Jerez........booooo!
Old 23-Jan-2004, 18:35
Bikes: 1098S, 996SPS, CBR1000RR (for when it rains!)

By all means buy the bike, BUT make sure it is cheap.

What you need to think about is how long you want to keep it for. The book value for a 97 r 916 is 3450 trade to 4850 retail. If you decide to sell it on it is nearly worthless to a dealer as he (or she!) would have to declare it to be written off (cat c or not) to a new customer. Looking at the pictures I would value it to be between 1500 to £2000, bearing in mind it has been rebuilt, would make a good track bike and you could pretty much get all your money back. What you wont get is the money you spend on it back so if you think that you'll need to spend a lot getting back to original maybe walk away.

I just bought a cbr600rr cat c damaged for £800, to put it into perspective.

Hope this helps.

P.S. would make a nice project though!
Old 23-Jan-2004, 18:50
Mille

Hi mate,

Sorry, I can't help you re the 916, but noticed you are in the Swindon area. I live up on (Sh)Abbey Meads so if you get back on the road (or maybe you are already, with a different bike?) give me a shout and praps be up for rideouts when the weather perks up...

Good luck with the 916.
Jacko.
Old 23-Jan-2004, 21:58
Mille

Mood: Rossi-tastico!
oh that colour is nasty dude....

you gotta knock off at least three grand coz of the colour choice!
Old 24-Jan-2004, 09:43
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
And just to make you feel MUCH better, heres a pic of mine looking sad in a pit garage in Jerez........booooo!

proof at last that red really is the undercoat for yellow
Old 24-Jan-2004, 10:07
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
You're confused, bradders. The truth is they spray them all red. Then, for few misguided individuals, they spray the yellow on top, which makes them heavier and thus slower!! Proof, that red is indeed faster!