Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 26-Sep-2006, 11:18
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Wow...Still an excellent thread.

Domski and me agree absolutely for once. To summarise my views:

DSC should run DD and work to continually improve it for the benefit of riders and the membership.

DSC members to have a say, or a vote, on everything that goes on in in the paddock and mainly (or only) affects the riders and sponsors? A big fat NO! Members should vote for someone they want to run and administer the DD series and then trust that person to work with the riders and sponsors on those decisions.

A seperate mechanism for DSC members to air their thoughts and views on how DD could evolve, put forward suggestions and opinions and then have them considered by a small decision making group consisting of the MT race bloke, some riders and a couple of others (maybe just collecting all the suggestions into a big pile at the end of each season and deciding which could be followed up) a big fat YES

Ya see, all people really want is a sense that even if they can't race for whatever reason, they can really identify with DD as their series run by their club. They can get actively involved in developing the future of DD even if they have no immediate involvement in the paddock or can't get to any of the races and it all starts to lead to a sense of belonging.

I can't really describe it, but you know how people who passionately follow a Football club feel like the team really belongs to them? They'll never trot out on the park themselves but that doesn't stop them feeling personally involved in everything that the players do. It's like Bayliss is a top bloke because despite being a better rider than all of us lot put together he still makes you feel like you matter.

That's what I would like every member of the DSC to feel about DD and the riders.

All the DD racers I've met individually are also top blokes (and girls), but collectively there can be a hint of "it's nothing to do with you pal...you're not a racer" creeping in from time to time which makes people feel snubbed. It's not a dig at DD or any individual but I think that it's this collective vibe that DD sometimes needs to guard against

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 26-Sep-2006, 11:22
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools
Wow...Still an excellent thread.

Domski and me agree absolutely for once. To summarise my views:

DSC should run DD and work to continually improve it for the benefit of riders and the membership.

DSC members to have a say, or a vote, on everything that goes on in in the paddock and mainly (or only) affects the riders and sponsors? A big fat NO! Members should vote for someone they want to run and administer the DD series and then trust that person to work with the riders and sponsors on those decisions.

A seperate mechanism for DSC members to air their thoughts and views on how DD could evolve, put forward suggestions and opinions and then have them considered by a small decision making group consisting of the MT race bloke, some riders and a couple of others (maybe just collecting all the suggestions into a big pile at the end of each season and deciding which could be followed up) a big fat YES

Ya see, all people really want is a sense that even if they can't race for whatever reason, they can really identify with DD as their series run by their club. They can get actively involved in developing the future of DD even if they have no immediate involvement in the paddock or can't get to any of the races and it all starts to lead to a sense of belonging.

I can't really describe it, but you know how people who passionately follow a Football club feel like the team really belongs to them? They'll never trot out on the park themselves but that doesn't stop them feeling personally involved in everything that the players do. It's like Bayliss is a top bloke because despite being a better rider than all of us lot put together he still makes you feel like you matter.

That's what I would like every member of the DSC to feel about DD and the riders.

All the DD racers I've met individually are also top blokes (and girls), but collectively there can be a hint of "it's nothing to do with you pal...you're not a racer" creeping in from time to time which makes people feel snubbed. It's not a dig at DD or any individual but I think that it's this collective vibe that DD sometimes needs to guard against

An excellent post in an excellent thread
Old 26-Sep-2006, 14:26
Ducati Corse

Thumbs up As a sponsor ...

The only thing I would add is:-

Now is the time for the MT to consider how they got into this situation, to read again closely Rattlers words from the start of this thread, learn the mistakes and ensure it can't happen again in 2007 or beyond. If the club does that and operates in a really transparent way which makes all involved feel part of the series, part of the club and especially in the case of Knight Racing both valued and respected, then many critics of them, like myself, will happily support the changes.
Old 26-Sep-2006, 15:12
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by domski
Class A will always be tougher and more expensive, as the bikes are more expensive and the faster riders race in it.

Really? I notice you used faster, not better!

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 26-Sep-2006, 15:15
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
Really? I notice you used faster, not better!

That's right

They're only faster coz they're on faster bikes too of course
Old 27-Sep-2006, 16:15
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Given the level of interest shown to this thread by DD entrants, general DSC members and non members alike I've added below the contents of an email I circulated to the riders earlier in the month. Just a few observations and suggestions for 2007 which I have to say I personally believe will be more likely to succeed now that certain issues have been resolved and others are being considered well in advance of the season start.

Most of the riders seem happier to go the New Era route now than when we started down that course at the start of the season, makes it much more straightforward for whoever runs the series for us next year. This year we kept getting asked to check out the other available race clubs in the UK but I think we've reached a consensus having gone through that process that New Era can offer us a workable season long package. We've already confirmed that in a meeting with Jim Parker who is very keen to work with the DSC on this next year. Chopping from race club to race club throughout the season brings its own obvious problems along with additional cost for the riders of becoming members of each club.

I see 2007 as being the best year yet for DD; we’ve got the 2006 survey results to work with so all the riders have had a chance to offer their views on a wide range of topics, to the point where they were asked to submit any questions they wanted included. We have the two first years to learn from, both the mistakes and the successes, the latter can all too easily be forgotten if we aren’t careful here.

The more everybody pitches in to help in a workable and harmonious fashion the better it will be for all IMHO. Total harmony will never exist but I truly believe that publicly propagating arguments on the message boards does more harm than good in the long term. I can’t see whoever runs the series always agreeing with the views of every rider, it just won’t happen, it’s human nature but a better way of resolving issues needs to be found.

The riders need to support whoever runs DD as it will be a big responsibility and a fair amount of administration however much it gets simplified for 2007.

I truly hope it all works out well and that at least some of what we’ve tried to achieve in 2006 will help 2007 to be the best season yet !!!! I’ve already stated that I will be stepping down from the RC prior to the 2007 season start due to increased work commitments but will be helping where possible to get the outstanding issues resolved.

My earlier email to the riders..............................

DD Review and looking forward

Post the Snetterton protest.

The technical regulations and protest rules have been tested and the complaining behind the scenes about the lack of potential rule enforcement for the series has irrefutably been answered for all time.

It is clear that the level of performance of a 620 DD bike prepared within the technical rules, ridden competently can produce the results that Dominic Cann has achieved this year. This can be retrospectively applied to the results of Geoff Spencer and to anyone in the future.

The element of doubt has been seriously reduced to the very real benefit of the series, leaving this sort of thing to fester would have eventually ripped the series apart.

Dominic and Chass have been cleared of any infringement and their championship can never be questioned, we know that this would not have been the case if the bike had not been checked, the doubts harboured by some would have festered and carried over to next year.

Dominic and Chass have exhibited a fine example of what can be achieved with determination, good preparation, consistent riding and self confidence. WELL DONE !!!!!!.

Phil Huntley put on another great show of season long consistent riding to take a well deserved win in Class B.

The people that run DD next year will have a few more stakes in the ground to start with than we had this year, the series is growing, there have been inevitable growing pains and a steep 2 year learning curve.

I’ve sent a report on what needs to be covered off administration wise to the DSC Management Team for consideration.

Here are some of my thoughts for the riders and organisers to consider:

Should the series be run next year in line with the original ethos of providing current DSC members the opportunity to try racing in a club focused championship?, Or do you want to open it out to people outside the Ducati Sporting Club ?

If the former then it will be difficult to achieve the separate grids but the general consensus to date is that most have grown used to the mixed grids and are showing a preference to those over being stuck in with CB’s or Hornets. If the latter there is still no guarantee that enough will enter to consistently fill 2 grids, the downside of the latter option could be that the people the series was intended for could lose out to people recruited from outside the club to take part.
Maybe you could consider looking at Class A and Class B slightly differently; retaining Class B for the true novices but allowing a little more entrant experience leeway for Class A entrants ?

I’d like to suggest that some in depth discussion goes on about the fundamental format for next year. The survey questions were aimed at addressing some of the issues and the invaluable feedback will be considered at that time.

We started off this season before everything was properly resolved, riders reps, tyre deal, race formats and dates etc. etc.

If nothing else I’d like to think that after Cadwell and into the last quarter of 2006 some thought can be given to sorting a number of the basic issues prior to the 2007 season start. These have been outlined to the MT in my report.
My gut feeling is that New Era, despite some shortcomings, are the way to go again for 2007, they will continue to offer the type of circuit the riders seem to prefer; Cadwell, Brands, Oulton, Snetterton, Donington etc.

Having met with Jim Parker again recently I can confirm that he is very happy to continue with facilitating the series for us and feels that with a bit of fine tuning the continued New Era/DSC relationship will be beneficial to all. Discussion of the option to race at Club meetings rather than at Superclub level took place during the meeting. As details of what some of the other series we shared meetings with this year will be doing in 2007 have yet to be finalised it was thought best to decide later which to run with, it is likely to be a combination of the two. In essence we have an agreement to work together in 2007 with a 6 or 7 round championship at the best UK circuits.
Being involved with New Era gave very useful assistance with the Assen license this year, the insurance was obtained at a reduced rate for us by Jim Parker in his ACU capacity, I doubt that we would have run the Assen round without assistance from the ACU. If the consensus is that we look to race at Assen in 2007 their assistance will again be vital, it was a great success in 2006 and the Dutch club are looking forward to welcoming the DSC Desmo Due enthusiasts again next year..

I have suggested that entries need to be in by the end of December so that whoever has the job of sorting it all out has a good idea of numbers involved.

The riders representatives (if you choose to continue with them) can easily be sorted by mid January.

When inviting people to apply as a riders rep. do search the full DSC membership, you never know who has been considering getting involved in helping out. It could be someone who has been to a few meetings helping out a rider for instance, or just watching the series and looking for a way of having input. If you subsequently just have riders applying at least you’ve done all possible to include others from within the club.

Of vital importance is to line up all the people who can add value to the series in any way shape or form and get them in a room together to discuss what they can bring to the party early on in the proceedings.

Write it down and agree responsibilities for whoever has offered to cover each aspect of the series management/promotion.

You have some awesome people among you and I only wish I’d been able to pull it all together quicker and better this year. It has been a tough year and not at all perfect and I don’t mind admitting it, please learn from the mistakes and don’t make the same ones next year.

We have had some great success this year, the DD series has gone from strength to strength, a number of real issues sorted quickly to the majorities preference, the trip to Assen was a highlight for many, a number of significant and high profile guest riders and magazine articles, and the continuing improvement of the DD racers in general, posting better lap times and having a worthy champion in each class.

The DSC run Desmo Due series will prosper, we already have people showing an interest for next year, the DD riders and race teams have put together some stunning bikes and ridden some cracking races, it hasn’t gone unnoticed by others.

It is a unique series; I’m not aware of any other bike club doing this, so make the most of it, get the decision making done as early as possible and go into 2007 with a positive outlook for the year ahead.
Sincere regards,

Paul James

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.

Last edited by Paul James : 27-Sep-2006 at 16:20.