Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 04-Jan-2007, 10:13
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
[Commuting by train cost me £90 a month. The trains are always late and they stink. But at least I keep my car off the roads. And if in 10 years I feel it's time to give up biking because the situation is getting worse and worse, then I'll do it.]

Are trains that fuel effeceint they use huge amounts of fossilfuels even when there empty even if all the trains were stationary the network is still using electricity.
95% of the time there passenger free its only at peek time that the cost/mile equals out in co2 emmisions compared to other forms of transport.

What amazes me is it's like the coversion to a veggy they probably eaten and worn half a dozen cows in their life time and all of a sudden after their conversion everyone else is a murderer its funny weve all been to school got a job raised a family, worked were weve had to not all ways by choice then someone like 749R comes along and your a planet destroyer.
I didnt wake up one morning and say today I'm going to produce as much CO2 as I can to **** the planet.
I live in a Capatalist society like everyone who resides in this country and most choices are made for me whether I like it or not.
I'd rather put my efforts to keeping my local hospital open/getting proper retirement care for my father/not having to worry if my daughter is going to get home safe from a night out/Being able to walk through my town centre without getting your head stoved in.
these are the real tangible issues that effect my life now not some computer analysis that is based on what ever is thrown in to get the figures that they need.
heres one
Police have said that a 100% of drivers caught speeding were doing over a 100 mph big headlines public outrage govern all cars to 70mph la de da.
in the small print number of cars caught speeding 1.
you can make anything sound as bad as you like as long as you manipulate the figures to suit your needs or as good.
unemployment
immigration
hospital waiting times
appointments at the doctors
weapons of mass destruction is a good one where are they, I thought Saddam could unlesh destruction in 10 minutes on us.
All politicians will tell you anything and back it up with stats to do what they want that suits them at the time.
statistics there meaningless your either affected or not,thats the big gamble of life to be in the right place at the right time or in the wrong place and who can tell where that is.

Last edited by 888heaven : 04-Jan-2007 at 15:21.
Old 04-Jan-2007, 12:55
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888heaven
[Commuting by train cost me £90 a month. The trains are always late and they stink. But at least I keep my car off the roads. And if in 10 years I feel it's time to give up biking because the situation is getting worse and worse, then I'll do it.]

Are trains that fuel effeceint they use huge amounts of fossilfuels even when there empty even if all the trains were stationary the network is still using electricity.

I'm sure the old British trains must not be very fuel efficient. But I don't think they use more fuel whether I'm on them or not.

Quote:
95% of the time there passenger free its only at peek time that the cost/mile equals out in co2 emmisions compared to other forms of transport.

I think you missed the point here. I didn't say trains were environnemtaly friendly. To me the ONLY advantage (from an environnemental point of view) to commuting by train is to keep my car off the road. Each day I take a train, I'm not using my car for one hour.
Old 04-Jan-2007, 13:20
Mille

Mood: One day I'll be allowed out to play......
Ask a metrologist what they think of global warming......most will say that global warming is a cyclical event that has been going on since creation, and the rate of warming that we are experiencing has been seen several times in both recent and distant past.

One important thing to understand, and most people are ignorant of this fact (I'm not accusing you of this Jools); Global warming causes CO2 levels to rise, not the other way around as most people believe.

Just my 2p worth....

Flamesuit on.

J

Yes I am still alive.......hurrah.

PS Ruth I still owe you some cash - sorry.
Old 04-Jan-2007, 14:39
500SD

[quote=Tonio600]I'm sure the old British trains must not be very fuel efficient. But I don't think they use more fuel whether I'm on them or not.

Sorry but thats my point when the trains are empty they may well use similiar consumption but unlike a car when its empty its using no fuel at all and unless you are within walking distance of a station you have to get either a taxi or bus both Co2 producers and here lies the fundamental issue we cannot just sit indoors and die.

Oh DEAR I'am a Heretic and must be burnt at the stake for Breathing out Co2 hold on burning produces
Co2

Oh and when they have those big lets save the planet conventions how do they get there Tardis I think not Gas guzzling planes,and anyway 2Jags is your average Politician and they wont be giving any of their perks up even if they make us and tax us while were doing it.

Last edited by 888heaven : 04-Jan-2007 at 15:20.
Old 04-Jan-2007, 15:45
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:

What amazes me is it's like the coversion to a veggy they probably eaten and worn half a dozen cows in their life time and all of a sudden after their conversion everyone else is a murderer its funny weve all been to school got a job raised a family, worked were weve had to not all ways by choice then someone like 749R comes along and your a planet destroyer.

I dont believe I have called anyone a planet destroyer. I have pointed out that global warming exists and that most scientists believe it is down to green house gasses created by man.

I have also stated that polluters should take responsibilty and pay to clean it up. I dont mind me or anyone else making a mess as long as individuall or collectively we pay to clean it up. That is only fair for the coming generations.

I challenged opinions on the aesthetics of pylons and sea levels by asking questions.

At no time have I labelled anyone, except by implication George W Bush, a planet destroyer.
Old 04-Jan-2007, 16:58
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 749er
I dont believe I have called anyone a planet destroyer. I have pointed out that global warming exists and that most scientists believe it is down to green house gasses created by man.

I have also stated that polluters should take responsibilty and pay to clean it up. I dont mind me or anyone else making a mess as long as individuall or collectively we pay to clean it up. That is only fair for the coming generations.

I challenged opinions on the aesthetics of pylons and sea levels by asking questions.

At no time have I labelled anyone, except by implication George W Bush, a planet destroyer.

Only kidding 749er no need to throw the toys at me,I was just making a point that newly converted disciples of what ever religion non smoking converts vegetarians etc seem to get on their high horse and start preaching as though they've been champions for the cause for life when in reality it was yesterday.
your point about the scottish isles just didnt add up if the islands are 100%likely to be under water why build a wind farm there its just that sort of twisted logic I cant get my head round, that wind farm will make no negligable impact to the total Co2 emmisions but will destroy a beautifull island you cant justify one lot of vandilism with another.
Old 04-Jan-2007, 17:12
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
I'm within a walking distance of the stations.
And the bl00dy trains are running anyway, with me or not with me. So my point is that by not using my car, I don't add to the train polution with my car's polution.

Anyway, I've got a train to catch and I'm late already. Time to run
Old 04-Jan-2007, 17:24
Mille

Mood: what a day, a year, a life it's been
I seem to be one few people that actually LIKE the look of wind farms. I work near the Mohne valley (where the Dambusters did their thing) and the hills are covered in wind turbines. They don't detract from the beauty of the valley anymore than the houses and hotels do. IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belecke.jpg (9.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-Jan-2007, 17:35
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Read somewhere that trains are the most environmentally friendly form of transport, but the figures didn't give any indication of how full the train had to be to achieve this. Better per passenger than car or plane.

Shame the UK network is sh17e then isn't it Beeching saw to that.

I'd use the train for work if it cost a tenner a week and it set off when I was ready to go!
The car or bike have fixed costs that rack up even if they don't get used for work, so I might as well make some use of them. Maybe thats why pay per mile is gonna finally kill off use of the roads, the (variable) costs are more directly related to how many miles ya do.

At the mo' the fixed stuff like insurance, road tax, MOT, and that great umentionable depreciation make a fuel costs (the variable cost) seem cheap to me??

Well impressed by the Swiss train system, well integrated with air and bus and runs like clockwork.

Two Jags integrated transport policy just didn't happen, another opportunity lost.

Ray.
Old 04-Jan-2007, 17:36
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Only kidding 749er no need to throw the toys at me,I was just making a point that newly converted disciples of what ever religion non smoking converts vegetarians etc seem to get on their high horse and start preaching as though they've been champions for the cause for life when in reality it was yesterday.
your point about the scottish isles just didnt add up if the islands are 100%likely to be under water why build a wind farm there its just that sort of twisted logic I cant get my head round, that wind farm will make no negligable impact to the total Co2 emmisions but will destroy a beautifull island you cant justify one lot of vandilism with another.

sorry if I sound stroppy, got a lot going on just now. The 9m rise is a possibilty, some models predict a rise of 1m, depends who you believe. This is part of the problem. Most people know something is happening and its not good, its a question of how bad might it be and might it be tolerable?

But interestingly there is a debate going on, on one of the western isles just now as to whether a huge wind farm should be built. One side says its a blot on the landscape the other side says the world needs to act and since the island is part of the world it should have the farm, otherwise no more islands. Perhaps the best place is offshore?

I can appreciate where the opposition are coming from, but personally, I am with Martini. I think the are very graceful objects and I think they represent something clean and positive.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit