Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Sep-2004, 18:24
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
520 Chain Conversion

Just about to do a 520 chain conversion on my 999,One of my mates that works for HM Plant Honda has giving me a RK 520 HRV2 with just the right amount of links.... Lovely bit of kit... Have orderd front and rear talon cogs..... My OE chain is well shagged with more tight spots than i dont no what ....Do you think the 520 will be up to the job?? Its a proper racing chain, but it still has Oring's.....Its so light i think it might snap..... No more mingers !! .Has anyone done this conversion and if so what do you think the best option is.
Old 13-Sep-2004, 18:57
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

I suggest that you keep the 525 chain size. The high torque and weight of a 999 requires it. More torque means more chain tension and a 520 chain has a ten percent lower tensile strength than a 525.

SP, SPS, R and Corsa models have even higher torque outputs you say. So how do they survive with light-weight 520 chains? That’s easy. Once you get over a certain torque level (for a given weight bike) the bike will wheelie before the chain tension exceeds it’s strength limits. At least for awhile ... chains on these bikes don’t usually see 15,000 miles of service.

Bike weight is the key. The heavier the bike, the higher the chain tension needed to make it wheelie and the higher the maximum chain tension it will experience. So, a 680 pound 9XX-plus-rider will generate a higher chain tension than (say) a lightweight Corsa-plus-jockey or even a Suzuki GS-X. Reports of chain failures are common enough, so it may not be wise to ignore this point for the sake of saving 275 grams of chain weight.

DID supplies chains to a number of manufacturers. So, for appearance sake, if you that want a D.I.D. gold link chain without having to switch to a 520ERV or VM set-up, you can order Honda part number 06405-MAS-003 for a 96-97 900RR which is a is a DID 525HV but with gold side plates.
Old 13-Sep-2004, 19:05
500SD

Mood: Is it summer yet?
Shazaam,

After reading many of your posts, I think you're quite scary.

Please, don't ever leave us!!

Cheers!

Scott
Old 13-Sep-2004, 20:51
Big Twin

Shazaam the God of Chain Info...... cheers for that mate intereting read.... see your point...My OE chain has only done 3800 miles and has so many tight spots.... Going to take a chance on the 520.... will keep you posted
Old 14-Sep-2004, 08:27
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Be carefull with the chain adjustment.
On the early bikes,the handbook and sticker on the swingarm says 25mm of slack.This has since been revised to 30-35mm.
Old 14-Sep-2004, 09:12
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
500 GP bikes (and probably the 990 MotoGP's too) had (have) 520 chains and I don't remember any of them snapping , longevity may be a problem though as Shazzam said
Old 14-Sep-2004, 18:02
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Think about it. How much does a 500 GP bike weigh compared to a 999?

[Edited on 9-14-2004 by Shazaam!]
Old 14-Sep-2004, 18:27
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
What is the point? Sounds more like fashion wins out over function?
Old 14-Sep-2004, 22:38
Big Twin

Jools... the point is mate that my chain is shagged and needs replacing..... i blagged the 520 RK racing chain for nowt !! The theory is light chain... less weight.... less friction.... more power.... fact !!