Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 10-Mar-2009, 23:28
500SD

Mood: ready to race
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Pirelli do a whole range of tyres that offer higher grip levels than standard Diablo, the Diablo is their main stream road tyre that motorcycle manufacturers would look to fitting as standard.
In such a competitive market Pirelli need to keep pace with the developments not only of the motorcycle makers but also their tyre competitors and the Diablo is now becoming a dated tyre with little or no input into its design from there research on the race tracks at WSB, WSS and BSB levels.
The first time I recall seeing a Diablo was at the 2003 TT on the Proddy class bikes, we just didn't know what they were called then, we just clocked the new tread pattern and it was only the top guys that had them (ie their developemnet riders), they weren't available to us dispite us getting our tyres from the offiical Pirelli dealer in the paddock. we had to make do with Super Corsas and for the Junior TT we had these cut to the edge.

Pirelli have no doubt planned to phase the Diablo out and replace it with the Diablo Rosso which will be better in many if not all areas and certainly will not offer anything less in any one area as this is the tyre targeted at the masses, the everyday road rider that encounters all different types of conditions all over the world, from rain soaked man-hole covers to sun scorched tarmac.

As the availability of Diablos dropped off last season (Holbeach could not supply me with a front 120/70/17 at Donington) it looked as though the change over would be happening sometime this year and as such the rules had to try and allow for this.

It now seems Pirelli have changed their plans about producing the Rossos in a H rating but there is little the DSC can do about that, The most that can be done is to either secure the supply of standard DD legal Diablos or get them to sanction the use of the ZR rated Rossos.

in my experience Pirelli/Metzeler have done more for club racers in the last 12 years than any other tyre brand, with support at the Manx GP and the TT, the Pirelli riders club, their on going suport fo NGRRCs Streetstocks and their support of the DD series. this support may not be as strong as it initially was but who could blame them with the remarks sometimes aimed at them on this and other websites, so gone have the free tyres to be given away as prizes but the tyres are still below rrp.
One of our local tyre suppliers who was out with us on Sunday on his 916-SPS looked into the standard prices and came back with £154 + VAT for a pair, so its not as though we are getting ripped off.

£158 +vat
Old 10-Mar-2009, 23:30
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
Except the last line Chris.....'Oh yes, and you cant use them on a 600 cos we wont be making them in the correct size'........Lol....

Oh they do make them in a 160/60/17 which is the correct size for a 600
just not in H rated at present, maybe an effect of the world wide economic recession.

They also make a H rated Diablo in both 120/70/17 and 160/60/17 which not only fit a 600 but are also allowed in Desmo Due, whats more they're also available from dealers

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 10-Mar-2009, 23:33
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna3
£158 +vat

I was close
Couldn't quite recall the last figure but the other two were right
so about £181 inc

Old 10-Mar-2009, 23:35
500SD

£136.50p
postage free

http://www.sticky-stuff.co.uk/produc...oducts_id=6219

Hope Holbeach don't see this.......

So who is ripping who off...........? and that online company are making a profit !!!

Last edited by Imola Duke : 10-Mar-2009 at 23:46.
Old 10-Mar-2009, 23:46
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
£136.50p
postage free

http://www.sticky-stuff.co.uk/produc...oducts_id=6219

Hope Holbeach don't see this.......

Nice spot Steve (probaby down to larger turnover and smaller margins) last year I was payng Holbeach £140 a pair fited and balanced in the paddock when they had a pair they could sell me, I think it was about £85 for just the rear at Donington.

Old 10-Mar-2009, 23:54
500SD

£160 fitted now £150 + postage mail order so at a guess £160....
As tesco say..... Every little helps lol
Old 11-Mar-2009, 08:41
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
So tyres are available, you have a choice on price, sounds like everyone is sorted.

If the situation changes when we hear back from Pirelli, then we will update everyone. Until that time there is no outstanding issue with regard to tyres in the series!
Old 11-Mar-2009, 10:45
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
So tyres are available, you have a choice on price, sounds like everyone is sorted.

If the situation changes when we hear back from Pirelli, then we will update everyone. Until that time there is no outstanding issue with regard to tyres in the series!

Yeh! thanks for sorting that Chris don't know what we would do without you
Old 11-Mar-2009, 10:58
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wood
I still need convincing that allowing wets is a more logical solution to a budget series? The single tyre rule, no wets, is one of the major factors in keeping the costs down in DD.

As soon as you allow wets you need a spare set of wheels, also a lot of people would have 2 bikes one wet and one dry to save them changing wheels which means they can delay their decision on tyre choice to the last minute giving them another advantage. The best thing about DD is the one make tyre rule as it simplifies a race weekend, in other series where wets have been allowed I have changed wheels 10+ times in a day and still been out on a wet with slicks when the heavens opened, also done dry track on wets too LOL

I'd be all for dry racing only and any wet meeting postponed
Old 11-Mar-2009, 13:11
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Good job I'm not doing Donny!

Plenty of time for everyone else to rush out and buy up all the first batch of "H" rated Rossos and I can either get mine from a fresh batch once Pirelli have taken note of all the feedback from the first race and got the rubber mix right or go back to the good old Diablos.......

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer