Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Mar-2009, 09:44
Bikes: 996, MTX200

Post 996 Deep sump conversion

Hi all, has anyone got any help/info/advise on the bolt on deep sump that the factory did for the pre testaretta motors? I'm rebuilding my 996 motor +2mm on the bore and stroking it 2mm :0) I've already done one big end so I'm after any info on oiling mods, moding the crank cases? oil pump? the deep sump and its fittings? HELP!!!
Old 24-Mar-2009, 11:19
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Can you modify the casing I thought you needed the Sandcast Corse casings for the sump to fit to.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 24-Mar-2009, 13:14

I'm not sure? I've seen pics, bits of the cases are fettled away in side so not to create a pocket that doesn't fill with oil as quick so causing starvation, poss??? :0( And where there is 3 squire holes to fix the deep sump to, poss???

Might have some pics? I'll have a look and post them later

Last edited by tez996 : 03-Apr-2009 at 22:06.
Old 26-Mar-2009, 20:07
Mille

Mood: punishing
If a 996 engine is to be stroked 2mm using ti rods the timing gear shaft needs to be trimmed a bit to clear the con rods.

Trying to make standard 996 cases to fit a bolt on deep sump is a mission. Lots of machining and just the magnisium pick up pipe and special oil filter together is near 500 quid plus the mag sump and machine work to make it all fit.

If your looking to build a bomb proof bottom end then this could be a good idea - http://cjsracing.co.uk/Bryan%20Jacques.htm
Old 26-Mar-2009, 23:05

I did wounder about going that route as it would be much cheaper, Hmmm???
Old 27-Mar-2009, 00:02
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by head chief
If a 996 engine is to be stroked 2mm using ti rods the timing gear shaft needs to be trimmed a bit to clear the con rods.

Trying to make standard 996 cases to fit a bolt on deep sump is a mission. Lots of machining and just the magnisium pick up pipe and special oil filter together is near 500 quid plus the mag sump and machine work to make it all fit.

If your looking to build a bomb proof bottom end then this could be a good idea - http://cjsracing.co.uk/Bryan%20Jacques.htm

I know Bryan quite ell as we have raced against each other quiote a bit in North Glos's Sound of Thunder series and he really does have a strong quick motor for which he Credits Chris for.
Last time I spoke to Bryan was when he turned up at the New Era meeting at Pembey when DD was racing there last year and I had the odd cuppa with him and his wife and he was telling me how little looking after the engine required.
Certainly an option worth considering, I have seen the mag sumps go for quite a bit on Ebay and after Dallas blew his 996 Corse based engine up those bits sold very quickly when he decided it was beyond repair so switched to a 998R

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 27-Mar-2009, 01:09
Mille

When you assemble the crank have it cleaned out , balanced to your new pistons , have the crank journel polished and plastiguaged with the correct spec shells . Then if the oil pump is good - without a sticky return valve , running motul 15/50 oil you should never have an issue.

Stroking and boring 2mm sounds perfect , approx 1070cc . Sounds interesting what cams ? are you using
Old 27-Mar-2009, 08:14

Been looking into the new case option over a deep sump conversion and it does seam the way to go cheaper by a mile, stronger, and much! easyer to get the bits!! But how much better is the deep sump in terms of oil pick up? there's a few factors as to why the last motor went pop, wheelies/hard riding being the main ones, so in theiry a deep sump should help yes?? Not sure what to do with the heads yet? def going to sort the squish and CR out. Its mainly to be used as a road motor for now so looking for torque with a nice power curve that doesn't fall away to much (at all if poss) as it gets to the red line (not asking for much I know!) but with the increase in cc to get much from it I might need big valves and cams?? The plan is to make sure the cash gets spent in the right places... everything below the heads first so the at the moment the idea is to run std valves, gas flow/match everything in and either run std cams timed in (any ideas for timing?) or 2 inlet cams. What to do???
Old 27-Mar-2009, 10:23
Mille

Just by boring and stroking it the compression will be sorted or too high depending on what pistons are used. With regard to the heads it is possible to achive near 150hp with just sps cams , stock 50mm exhausts at 996cc as long as the ports are changed to the correct shape (not just a big valve port clean up)

There are too many options with that motor .
Old 27-Mar-2009, 22:10

I'm using 996R pistions but with the bigger bore when I've reshaped the chambers to match the bore size I hope it will be about right. Bring on the horses!!