Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jan-2006, 10:52
Ducati Corse

Fairly pointless exercise as far as my bike is concerned. The oil is thicker in the cold weather so you'll need to turn it up a bit and i don't ride in the cold weather!

Just keep on turning it up till the oil drips at about one drop per minute at tickover. You'll find that in reality this is too much so you can back it off a fair bit. I don't get any mess on the wheel.
Old 23-Jan-2006, 11:19

Mood: dissapointed
scott Oiler

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
Fairly pointless exercise as far as my bike is concerned. The oil is thicker in the cold weather so you'll need to turn it up a bit and i don't ride in the cold weather!

Just keep on turning it up till the oil drips at about one drop per minute at tickover. You'll find that in reality this is too much so you can back it off a fair bit. I don't get any mess on the wheel.

Mate,

you need to use the filler bottle to "prime" the system first.
If it's only1/3 way down the tube it wont go any further until you do.Connect the filler tube & use the bottle to "pump" the system until oil comes out, it's then primed.
You should only need it set to around 2 for it to feed OK after that, DONT repeat DONT run it on the prime setting or you'll get a rear wheel covered in oil folowed by a get off on the first left hander.
Old 23-Jan-2006, 11:57
Ducati Corse

Correct. The prime setting bypasses the vacuum requirement from the engine and just makes the oil flow out without the motor running if i remember correctly.
Old 25-Jan-2006, 00:16
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
There is a thinner oil for use in cold weather. I think it is a different colour from the normal blue oil.

I normally have mine set to about 4. This means the reservoir will last for over 1000 miles per fill. I also carry a small bottle of extra oil so I can fill it up while away on our longer trips.
I turn mine up if the weather is pants as the rain and road spray washes most of the oil off the chain...
Old 25-Jan-2006, 22:59
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

I kept the oil inside for a couple of days and just went out and primed it all the way through, if i get chance tomorrow I start the bike up and see what happens.