Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-May-2009, 10:55
Bevel Head

Rain, nerves and wets

Dear All

Going to Silverstone GP with Focused Events on Tuesday. Forecast says heavy rain...

Three of us are running our road bikes on road tyres. I'm on a 749s with Diablo Corsa III's. I'm a confident (not to be read as competent) Novice rider with 6 track days under my belt and nervous about my first wet day.

So my question to you. Take it easy on the road tyres and just concentrate on being smooth etc. Or take the plunge and buy a set of wets on the day?

Any advice/ comments very much appreciated.

Regards

Mark.
Old 10-May-2009, 11:36
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I its proper wet go for buying the wets, you will end up enjoying the day more and getting your Moneys worth
I rode my DD bke at Silverstone in the wet back in March using my Diablos and had no issues but as a few others were crashing I fitted a front wet to play safe and we were onlu using the club ciruit. The GP circuit envolves higher speeds and heavier braking so if its wet you would be better off on wets, not to mention how slippery some of the white lines can be when wet, so stay off them and get our braking over and done with in a straight line.
If its only damp, the Silverstone surface is generally OK and worth venturing out on your Corsa 3s before deciding to pay out for wets

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 10-May-2009, 11:38
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSO 749s
Dear All

Going to Silverstone GP with Focused Events on Tuesday. Forecast says heavy rain...

Three of us are running our road bikes on road tyres. I'm on a 749s with Diablo Corsa III's. I'm a confident (not to be read as competent) Novice rider with 6 track days under my belt and nervous about my first wet day.

So my question to you. Take it easy on the road tyres and just concentrate on being smooth etc. Or take the plunge and buy a set of wets on the day?

Any advice/ comments very much appreciated.

Regards

Mark.

If your riding is mainly road and novice track days, then I'd say go out on road tyres and take it very steady and build confidence in them. If its raining so hard that there's standing water etc, then think about wets, but unless you're goign to be doing lots of trackdays, you should be fine on road tyres (otherwise how much use would you get out of wets?).

Wets are great though and can inspire huge amounts of confidence, its just about how relevant they are to your types of riding.

Tim
Old 10-May-2009, 13:29
Bevel Head

Thanks for your comments.

Looking at doing 4 - 6 track days a year so if it is really wet then I will probably go for a set of wets.

Regards

Mark.
Old 10-May-2009, 13:54
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSO 749s
Thanks for your comments.

Looking at doing 4 - 6 track days a year so if it is really wet then I will probably go for a set of wets.

Regards

Mark.

That makes sense, if you can fund it, get a spare set of wheels with the wets fitted and it'll save a lot of grief too...

Enjoy
Old 10-May-2009, 18:11
Big Twin
Bikes: 998S Chili trackbike,749R (corse kit), 748SPS

Mood: Flange - it's a state of mind....
Get the wets!!!!!!!!

Tried them at Portimao recently - fantastic

I used Pirelli Rain's - £100 off ebay...:-)