Old 11-Jul-2005, 23:18
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Bowel movement!!!

LMAO

That's my biggest issue!
Old 11-Jul-2005, 23:55
Big Twin

Looking through the turns not a problem, I'm always aiming to do that, but what I've been doing in the past is consciously keeping my head to the centreline of the bike, this is now showing up as ground clearance issues when getting it on..

This shows a scary lean angle, that was consistent when exiting Druids last week...

http://www.picman.co.uk/cgi-bin/v2.p...1&_DSC9675.jpg

There's been a huge amount of constructive advice, and unusually for the board, it's been consistent with everyone saying pretty much the same thing.

Looking back at the photo's from picman and the ones Bradders took, I can see I need to move the upper body across, with the sternum out on the inside edge of the tank being a probably initial reference. This should also draw me lower, and help improve arm position. (still doing the chicken wing thing though, just to keep them loose)

Working from home tomorrow, so out with the paddock stands at lunchtime to start to get a feel for position whilst static, then out on the road to put it into practice.

I'll be working on changing my style over the next week or so, ready for TA4, and hopefully will see an improvement in lap times. Especially when I add in the effort I'll also be putting in to quick turns from this sunday.

Bradders, you should know better, nothings unteachable, it's just how the information's delivered
Old 11-Jul-2005, 23:57
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Did you see the super sport race at snetterton at the weekend?

The 749 would not follow the visual line of the rider, at the pace being set.

This eventually led to a very spectacular dismount, when the bike decided that it couldn’t follow anymore. He had been struggling for most of the race with the bike not turning with him.
The overhead shots picked this up all the time. It was a real display of a rider struggling with a badly set up bike. He was lucky to get as far round the corner as he did and scrub off a lot of the speed he had going in. Bowel movement I’ll say I had movement just watching it on the Tele.

Old 12-Jul-2005, 00:48
Big Twin

here is a pic of me some peeps say it looks wrong but it works for me.

P.s pic taken on a private road well nearly private

Old 12-Jul-2005, 00:53

I reckon the best body position is horizontal - pref with eyes closed ..
and if i had a choice

....with a female on top!!!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !
: rolleye:
Old 12-Jul-2005, 01:05
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_S
Looking through the turns not a problem, I'm always aiming to do that, but what I've been doing in the past is consciously keeping my head to the centreline of the bike, this is now showing up as ground clearance issues when getting it on..

This shows a scary lean angle, that was consistent when exiting Druids last week...

http://www.picman.co.uk/cgi-bin/v2.p...1&_DSC9675.jpg

There's been a huge amount of constructive advice, and unusually for the board, it's been consistent with everyone saying pretty much the same thing.

Looking back at the photo's from picman and the ones Bradders took, I can see I need to move the upper body across, with the sternum out on the inside edge of the tank being a probably initial reference. This should also draw me lower, and help improve arm position. (still doing the chicken wing thing though, just to keep them loose)

Working from home tomorrow, so out with the paddock stands at lunchtime to start to get a feel for position whilst static, then out on the road to put it into practice.

I'll be working on changing my style over the next week or so, ready for TA4, and hopefully will see an improvement in lap times. Especially when I add in the effort I'll also be putting in to quick turns from this sunday.

Bradders, you should know better, nothings unteachable, it's just how the information's delivered

Jase,

I'm trying to think of it a bit differently to you, but essentially the same goal in mind. If you think about the physics of it, if you carry the same lean angle, but hang off it more - you should be able to get around the same corner faster carrying the same lean.

What I am searching for, on any bike on the track, is the most lean I can carry whilst getting off the bike as much as I can. This is the way to the fastest mid-corner speed. Much more important on the monster than it is on the 998 but if you can turn it quickly, carry max corner speed and then get off it and stand it up to get on the power quicker you're going to be faster right?

This is the nirvana I'm seeking.
Old 12-Jul-2005, 01:18
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by carrera996
I reckon the best body position is horizontal - pref with eyes closed ..
and if i had a choice

....with a female on top!!!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !
: rolleye:

much better with eyes open the light on and the girl on top and the wrong way round if you ask me
Old 12-Jul-2005, 02:37
Big Twin

I read an article in Bike mag this week with rocket Ron riding with various handicaps one of which was with a 17 stone journalist on the back, his notes read that he Shat himself at the amount of throttle Ron used when at big angles of lean. This is wear the fast boys get their lap times from. Not so much the lean angle but the drive and amount of power they are prepared to deliver to the back wheel exiting corners before and during getting the bike upright. Obviously they also brake much harder and later, and get the bike from upright to full lean faster. It was good to see that Ron can still go faster than most of us with one arm behind his back, and that a patch over one eye just meant he had to square the corners off to keep his lap time within one and a half seconds of his best Two eyed attempt. He didn’t like the winter gloves and moto x boots much though.

Another comment over the weekend during the coverage of the moto GP (you will never lose the front wheel of a motorbike with the power on, only with the power off)

So you move to the inside of the bike under braking therefor not upsetting the bike at the turn in point and using wind resistance to help slow you down.
You learn to get the bike to full lean ASAP so you can use the time saved tuning the bike for braking later.
And the one that no one likes opening the throttle hard as you come past the apex. This is were I see the difference in the fast riders. If it wasn’t for this bit we could all be fast.
Old 12-Jul-2005, 09:19
Big Twin

I read the same article, and it's astounding how much throttle is used and how soon it's used as well.

Since reading ToTW and doing CSS level 1, the rolling on of the throttle once in a turn is probably the single most improtant thing I've applied to riding and you can feel the difference between doing it and not. But opening it hard, early, is very intimidating. I feel that improved body position will help improve my confidence by making me feel more comfortable, and it's also a psychological thing and let me focus on turning faster and getting on the gas harder, sooner.

Funny isn't it, that when we start riding on the track, and getting a bit quick on the road, lean angle and knee down is a thing to aim for, because it looks good and gives a perception of speed. Then we want to go quicker, and so less lean angle for less time at a given speed is what we want.

Roll on TA4 Out with an instructor early for me, and if by the end of the day I get 1:55's, I'll be happy as a pig in muck.

I'm always open to constructive criticism as well, so if you're out in the Inters and see me riding like a tw@t feel free to comment, but be gentle. I'm definitely the limiting factor not the bike, so time to tighten the nut behind the bars.
Old 12-Jul-2005, 10:32
Montjuic

Mood: Alway happy
Morning!

Nice thread this one. I agree with Quickshifter that moving back from the tank does help. People ride up against the tnak to get a better grip on the bars, never a good idea.
The only person I have seen make "nuts-against-the-tank" work is Colin Edwards. I was watching him at Mugello between coaching Thomas and figured out that he does this to brace against braking forces, it's not the ideal but he has got it to work for him. It's also the reason you see his outside leg pointing to the sky in the turn as he cannot move back to lock in without upsetting the bike.

All the points on vision I agree with. Look where you want to go!