Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 06-May-2011, 19:44
Mille

Desmo Due 2012...discuss

possibly been discussed at length in the past, but just wondered whether anyone else feels that a change to the DD format in 2012 might be a good thing?

In December after being told by my mate Jolley how his bike was getting prepped I began thinking that I should have a go at that. For a few minutes I thought about Class A but after looking at the numbers I was soon put off.

I realise there are riders out there with class A bikes loving their racing and it is not my job to tell anyone how to run this series but I am just thinking out loud here. It is clear that the Class A numbers are dwindling and at the moment there is a mass of Class B and a handful of class A. Perhaps it would be a good idea to see a different class A next year?

I for one would be all over a 748 cup, with a limit to the bhp and a minimum weight. Great bikes, can be bought for £2k, that were actually built with racing in mind, not for vertically challenged people (SS) or posing in the city (m600)! Im only joking I love my SS!

How about a Monster 695/696 class as this is still in production Ducati may take more interest?

If this is not up for discussion then cool I will shut up and get my coat, but I think if it is then it would be good to get it out in the open and sorted early enough so that Class A people could swap their engines/sell their bikes and we could attract new comers to the "Premier Class"!

Hugh
Old 06-May-2011, 20:14
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Old (no longer in production) bikes put us in no better place than we are now.

I would be tempted to go with a 696 class to bring it up to date and relevant.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 06-May-2011, 20:19
500SD

The problem is there are so many possible options that the discussion could go on for a long time.

I think the two key questions are

what would get class B guys to move up?

what would experienced people be looking for coming into class A?

Would a 750\800 monster that could slot into other classes (streetfighter / mini twin) be a good choice?

But better wait for an experienced guy to answer

Mark
Old 06-May-2011, 20:27
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
what stops me going into class A is the issues with ECU I've seen. I dont have much idea mechanically so fixing anything myself is difficult, and I doint have £800 to chuck at a Nemesis to make sure the ECU wont fail

Otherwise, if I race next year I'd be very tempted to trade up

Re another class, 748 a great idea but service & maintenance I reckon would be a lot higher, and not sure where you shop if you can pick one up ok for racing for 2k

to me it doesnt seem broke really, grids are full at most rounds and races close, obviously except A....which is the point I know...
Old 06-May-2011, 20:44
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
Re another class, 748 a great idea but service & maintenance I reckon would be a lot higher, and not sure where you shop if you can pick one up ok for racing for 2k

Last March I bought a 748 with an 853 conversion, which wouldnt be good in this instance, but that came with mag wheels and 20k on the clock. I paid £2100 for it. I rode it around London last summer.... murdered it on the track a few days and it was perfect. Sold it on at the end of the year for the same money.

A grid full of 748s would be a lovely thing to see and hear.....
That said a 696 or similar would be good to make the series a little more modern. It wouldnt be as budget but lots of DD peeps have much more expensive road bikes.

I know I could race a 748 in another series but I get so confused with the rules for multi bike classes that I get put off trying to work out whats in and out. A one make series is so much easier!

Right now if I won the lottery or managed to save A LOT I will be signing up for the 848 series next year, unless there is another DD alternative.
Old 06-May-2011, 21:00
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
what stops me going into class A is the issues with ECU I've seen. I dont have much idea mechanically so fixing anything myself is difficult, and I doint have £800 to chuck at a Nemesis to make sure the ECU wont fail

to me it doesnt seem broke really, grids are full at most rounds and races close, obviously except A....which is the point I know...

Paul,
I bought a spare new virgin ECU for £250 (will work with any clock and key). Since starting racing in July 2009 the bike has never failed to start and never missed a beat. Even after those 2 crashes at Mallory it still ran.
How many B bikes can claim that?

748 for 2k ? plus 750-1k for suspension, racing kills dry clutches, water cooled
Another 40 bhp on road tyres in the wet.
Cheaper option is an 800 engine and do mini twins.

Limit the number of seasons you can stay in class B so people have to move up.

Hey at the rate your improving I'm glad yer not in class A yet
Old 06-May-2011, 21:29
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955SP
Right now if I won the lottery or managed to save A LOT I will be signing up for the 848 series next year, unless there is another DD alternative.

me too - and you got a mega bargain there mush
Old 06-May-2011, 22:35
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk

No problems with ecu's now Paul as we have the technology to get into them can get rid of code no need to match to clocks don't need coded key, can even reprogram so no need for a power comander, much cheaper than a Nemesis, much less fiddling about than carbs.
Old 06-May-2011, 22:45
MotoGP God

interesting my view is so far out from reality, as IO thought it was rockind-horse non nmatched ecu or mega expensive replacement. I have seen a few go, or at least thats what peolpe said, last year and without it matching the cloks kaput; its going no where

for me, i could do with a few more horses to shift my bulk, and I was very close to selling mine and buying one of those which were fo sale before this season started

I think making peolpe move up would be an option to discuss, maybe linked to time in the series and/or position in the championship. Top 5 move up?? 3 years move up?? But then if you cant afford the change, means not racing at all and falling grids...what's the answer? Carrot or big stick? or get rid of class A??
Old 06-May-2011, 22:46
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
The best way to move on with DD would be to have a power to weight ratio limit open to any air cooled Ducati plenty of them about, or just change the engine.