Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Sep-2003, 17:33
Montjuic

Mood: picture crazy
silmotor pipe Q\'s

So. I have a chance to purcahse the silmotor full system for quite cheap (in terms of US dollars). it's listed as 50/60 full system with steel pipes/titanium can. looks are subjective so i won't bother dicussing looks- however, does anyone have any idea how well this system will work on my 749?

i hear u guys talk about the 54mm/57mm termi system, what about this 50/60 size they are listing?

also- the silmotor website only shows it under 999, with nothing listed for 749- the retailer (overseas) states it should work the same...anyone confirm/deny this claim?

the termi system only includes a half pipe/canister right?

this silmotor system is listed as full system- so i'm asuming two pipes/canister....

anyone have experience!?

thanks!
Old 23-Sep-2003, 17:45
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hmm,
The Termi system uses the standard rear header and a new front pipe without the inbuilt cat.Its of a bigger diametre to make up for its length.
I saw a big bore system on a 999 at the weekend and its more like a 2 into 1.The rear pipe bends down before curling back up to meet the front.It looked awesome and needed spacers on the footrests to fit in the space between the rests and the swingarm.
Old 23-Sep-2003, 18:21
Montjuic

that's the silmotor one- it's listed as a 2-1 system...the termi is listed as a 2-1-2 looks the same to me!!
Old 23-Sep-2003, 18:22
Montjuic

actually- i see how the rear cyclinder just comes up....i wish i had bette rpics of the sil system...
Old 23-Sep-2003, 18:37

The Termi system on the carbon 999 attached, is the Asymmetric system, which has a "similar" bore to the original and replaces the cat in the link pipe and the cat in the silencer box.
The Termi 54 & 57mm systems are "big bore 2-1-2 systems" and is a complete replacement system. The right foot peg needs to be spaced out to clear the link pipes. Hence the crazy price @ £1800 + VAT.
There are Corsa 60mm systems available to race teams......at crazzzzy money !!, but of course no good for road use ;-).
The Sil motor looks good, do they have any Dyno runs/graphs. Not sure where you would hang the lighting bracket/number plate mount, unless you are a track day only ??.

Rgds

Millie
Old 23-Sep-2003, 18:56
Montjuic

ahhh. thanks for the info!
and yes i agree- i'm not sure where i'd mount anything- at least with the termi i can keep it street legal
Old 23-Sep-2003, 19:17
Mille

Take a look at the Casoli (.co.uk) web site as well. They do a couple of systems, s/s and carbon which are cheaper than the Termi's.

Personally I don't like the look of the rear box on the Sil system.

I have the Ti D57 Termi system fitted, its big bucks - but it does work - and looks good.

The half pipe/canister you refer to is probably the asymmetric system and not the full 2-1-2 open system.

If you check out some of the recent posts regarding exhausts and their impact on the bikes performance one thing is clear you tend to get what you pay for. Remember that with the full Termi kits you get a new ECU and filters.

My opinion is that the cheaper asymmetric system is not worth the money. It looks better and makes more noise - thats about it.

I have no personal knowledge of the Sil system, it may well be of good quality and give a performance increase.
Old 23-Sep-2003, 19:41
Montjuic

dilemma is- i'm not a racer, and an extra 5hp isn't worth a few thousnad to me (1500vs 3000USdollars for full steel system).

My brother's 998 with silmotor pipes/PCIII worked fine as far as power- to me as long as power isn't decreased, then it's no big deal to me....

if i was concerned about power- i woulda got a 999 or i would've opted for a gix1K....obviously power isn't my main concern when it comes to hooking up bikes (though that doesn't mean a decrease in power is welcome)
Old 23-Sep-2003, 22:33
Montjuic

I have to interject here and state that so far the asymetrical system produces MORE power than the 2-1-2. I will see in the next two days when my PCIII mapping is complete the real advantage of the more expensve 54 and 57mm systems. We made 143hp out of my 999 with the asymetrical system and a PCIII.
Old 24-Sep-2003, 20:42
Mille

Stephens,

you clearly are very lucky and have the resources to set up your bike as you wish. Many of the guys here would like to spend £1k-£2k on a DP system and expect more than just some extra noise.

Some people on the other hand just want an aftermarket can to give the extra noise and begrudge spending alot of money for the privilage.

I am sure as the 749/999 family establish themselves over the coming months (years) more aftermarket manufacturers will recognise the demand and cater for it.

I have held back on the PCIII route awaiting a FIM Ultimap ECU but that looks a while away yet, which is a shame.

Ducati do however sell a very expensive ECU circa £800 which is programmable, so ProTwins inform me. (UK FIM distributor)

The point, well as I have said and this is a DP gripe - why sell us this stuff at high prices when it just ain'nt right, out of the box.

By the way, PT inform me that the standard valve collets are'nt up to the job of coping with higher states of tune. SIX replacements in a season and still counting. They do sell higher spec. replacements tho' - £18 per half!!

They have also said that the D57's are definately the route to nirvana.

Good luck with the PCIII/cam work on the D57's and I'll post up my dyno chart for an "out of the box" comparison.