Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Oct-2005, 20:51
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
got an 851 (ok 955) + an RSV Factory, the prilla is great, but there's no way I'd be thinking about swapping what you have for a Haga rep - it's got Ohlins and the bigger tb's and they do go well but the newer model is so much better. You can pick up a Factory for reasonable prices now as well.
Keep the RS250 and chop the 748 for a newer RSV Factory - guaranteed smiles - they cured the drop into the corner problem and you now feel part of the bike
Old 24-Oct-2005, 20:53
500SD

btw - seat height on the new model is a little lower which means that my 5'9" can touch the floor with no big problems
Old 25-Oct-2005, 21:30
Mille

Mood: Just the one bike for me now
Hi all, been away from computer for a few days, overwhelmed with the response, many thanks.

The RSVR is not a Haga Rep, my mistake. It had some Nori stickers on the sides of the front screen and I'm quite new to RSVR spec, not anymore though.

The bike has a private RSV plate, it is all black including the rear swing arm. Has all the usual 'R' carbon bits plus the Ohlins front and rear and some nice gold anodised OZ wheels. Comes fitted with Aprilia titanium full race system plus the standard. Its an eye catcher.

I'd sooner let the Ducati go than the RS250 but that aint gone a get me any friends here is it, apologies.

Had the Ducati for a year now and love it to bits, turns heads and is my child hood dream.

I'm still going to take the RSVR on a test ride Friday afternoon (weather permitting) and just see how it feels.

The Ducati I find terrible at slow speeds especially through towns and first gear bends, no confidence what so ever. The harder I ride it the better it performs and the more confident I feel which is what it's all about I know.

My close friends tell me to sell both bikes privately and save the extra for a 999, lets see hey !

Delooney
Old 25-Oct-2005, 23:37
500SD

if you think of selling the RS let me know how much your chasing, I'd take her off you.
good luck

Neil
Old 26-Oct-2005, 21:39
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
Had two Mille's between 2001 and 2003 - since then I've had a 996SPS and a 998S and would NEVER go back to the Mille as a sportsbike.

Wouldn't rule out a Futura as a tourer though as the motor is just right for that sort of bike.

Giles
Old 26-Oct-2005, 21:54
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Glad to see you are having a ride first before making a decision - smart move letting the head 'rule' for a while...

Monty knows his stuff - have a go on an ST4 as well - ok it isnt a RSV factory or a 999 but you will only be 30 seconds behind on a ride out AND a damn sight more comfortable !!!
Old 30-Oct-2005, 10:42
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Delooney I had a mint Aprilia RSV R and I sold it and kept my 998s and Jota.

Nuff said really.................................Ithink you will regret selling your 748.....big time!
Old 09-Nov-2005, 00:21
Bevel Head

Mood: ;)
ahhhh a JOTA ...i had my 3C for fourteen years what a bike in its day! still wind down the car window to hear one roar past when i see it. (rarely!)

Just bought a 996 to replace my RSV i sold last year - i do miss the aprilia as it was so big _ im only 5-7"- the dukes not good if u have anything bigger then a letter to carry! but europe was no prob with luggage on the RSV , dont fancy a trip like that much on the duke.
the dukes a fun bike though - always avoided them in past years due to unreliability but seems good so far?! fingers still crossed!
Old 12-Nov-2005, 10:26
Mille

Mood: Just the one bike for me now
Well the weather fianlly came good the other day to get the RSVR out for a test ride.

First thing I noticed was that the engine breaking did'nt seem as fierce in frist and second as the 748 nor round the tight town centre bends and it also felt more comfortable going into and round slow speed islands.

Big,it is. You do feel like your on a big boys bike (I'm 5'9") and I felt the things was larger than me if you understand what I mean (who's in control here ? sensation). Had a few stops and did some tyre kicking. You know what, from some angels it's a big version of the RS250 !

Power delivery was smooth always more at hand, felt very powerful compared to the 748. On some quick twisty bends it still felt quite flickable and really all in all couldnt fault the thing. Breaks seemed up to everything I gave it and had no sense of poor stability. I liked it a lot.

However, it didnt have the head turning appeal as I wished for and it does seem like a big bike. I parked next to a GSXR1000 when taking it back and it was comparable in size, strange, felt so much bugger when on it.

After two days of thought my Mrs. summed it up; "when you test rode the Ducati you placed a deposit there and then, if you like this one so much you would have done the same" nuff said.

Trying to find a new 999 to test ride, maybe that's what I'm really after...

Thanks for all the feedback !!!

Delooney
Old 12-Nov-2005, 11:31
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
you need a 996
all the appeal of the 748 but with the RSV
lots of stuff to throw your money at on flea bay too