Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Apr-2005, 14:50

over idling 749s

Hi all, been meaning to register for a while now, but suddenly have a reason (apologies)

End of last year I joined the club with a 749s, and what a bike, absolutely love it. However it has developed a small glitch (don’t they all) after a riding for a while the idle speed seems to stick anywhere around 4000 to 6000rpm, its a bit scary to loose engine braking and be pushed through the corners. Its been back to the dealer once, and they came back with a shrug of the shoulders saying they could not find a stored problem, or reproduce it. Now its becoming more of a frequent problem, the dealer thinks it might be a leaking air manifold, Im not so sure, as if you switch the bike off and wait a few minutes before restarting normal service is resumed. Also the throttle feels as if its operating normally, suggesting its not a sticky cable of butterflies.

Anyone had or heard of this before?

Cheers

Russ
Old 20-Apr-2005, 14:52
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
Unacceptable, take it to another dealer.
Old 20-Apr-2005, 14:57
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Agreed
Old 20-Apr-2005, 15:02

well, that is an option, but out of the goodness of my heart Im giving them one more crack of the wip at it.............am i being a fool, I will let you know in early may
Old 20-Apr-2005, 15:09
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Where are you based? and which dealer?

I'd try contacting someone like JHP or Nelly and see if they have heard of the problem, I know JHP would be able to connect their computer etc and see if anything has been flagged by the ECU etc
Old 20-Apr-2005, 15:10
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by trigger
well, that is an option, but out of the goodness of my heart Im giving them one more crack of the wip at it.............am i being a fool, I will let you know in early may

If you are taking it back to them I'd consider explaining that this is a safety issue, could easily cause an accident, and suggest to them that if they can't resolve it themselves that they contact Ducati UK for assistance?

Try a nice approach and see how you go.

As the bike is under warranty, if they couldn't fix it then perhaps it opens an opportunity for a replacement? Just hypothesizing.
Old 20-Apr-2005, 16:49

From the last time it was looked at there where no stored messages within the CPU, Im up in Aberdeen, so I figured I will give the dealer another shot, this time they are taking it more seriously, fully agree that this is a serious safety issue.

I was curious to know if anybody has heard about this before. the dealer has assured me that they will be getting on to Ducati UK for comparisons with other bikes.

Will let you all know more in early May, although not overly happy about having to wait till then.
Old 20-Apr-2005, 18:59
Big Twin

If it's any consolation (and I'm guessing it isn't), my 999 stuck at 3000+ on it's way in to it's first service. Dealer came back with same response - shrug of shoulders. Unfortunately/fortunately it never repeated it for the dealer and hasn't done so for me.
So, it's not the first one to do it.
Old 21-Apr-2005, 08:22
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Hi there Trigger , was this on your Ullapool run at the weekend in the wet ? .......my old RGV 250 used to overrun in the wet , something to do with water vapour getting in the fuel mixture and causing detonation in the engine making it ovverrun , I don't know if the same thing could happen on a 4 stroke , where's that American bloke , he'll know

Did you speak to Boxy (Mark) at Shirlaws or someone else ? if it was in the wet tell them , this may make a difference.

Good luck
Old 21-Apr-2005, 10:18

Andy,

Yeah it became a frequent problem on the Ullapool trip, but more so on the Sunday when it was dry, Ive given mark all the details, it still seems to me that its electrical/ECU orientated, as stopping removing the key and restarting provides a temporary fix