Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Feb-2006, 15:48
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
I saw a 916 go over at the side of the road as a truck went by. It happens...
Old 16-Feb-2006, 15:51
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
doh! apologies then.

maybe stay in on windy day in future

sorry i'll get my coat
Old 16-Feb-2006, 16:43
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy2
Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
I had the flip up side stand on my 888 modified so that it doesn't flip anymore. That way it's just the same as my ST2 which never had a flip up stand in the first place.

For me, I just don't like the flip up stands because I always find them very awkward, not to mention the risk of the bike hitting the deck.

As for the danger of leaving the stand down when riding off, well that danger is always there but, c'mon guys, does anybody really need an automatic flip up stand to stop that happening? It's easy to prevent. All I do before I set off is to look down at my toes as I put the bike into first gear...Voila, an automatic safety check just like looking over you shoulder before you pull away

i'm 100% with you on this one mate... Every other bike Manufacturer doesn't use it, how often do we hear stories of people forgetting ? really, next to none surely.

Other manufacturers have a cut out system (as new Ducatis now) that cut the engine when put into gear if the stand is down-with just modding an old bike to stay down you dont have any of these safeguards.
Old 16-Feb-2006, 16:48
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by bolds
Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy2
Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
I had the flip up side stand on my 888 modified so that it doesn't flip anymore. That way it's just the same as my ST2 which never had a flip up stand in the first place.

For me, I just don't like the flip up stands because I always find them very awkward, not to mention the risk of the bike hitting the deck.

As for the danger of leaving the stand down when riding off, well that danger is always there but, c'mon guys, does anybody really need an automatic flip up stand to stop that happening? It's easy to prevent. All I do before I set off is to look down at my toes as I put the bike into first gear...Voila, an automatic safety check just like looking over you shoulder before you pull away

i'm 100% with you on this one mate... Every other bike Manufacturer doesn't use it, how often do we hear stories of people forgetting ? really, next to none surely.

Other manufacturers have a cut out system (as new Ducatis now) that cut the engine when put into gear if the stand is down-with just modding an old bike to stay down you dont have any of these safeguards.

Yep, my ST2 has one of these cut out switches, but you have to remember that it also relies on the notoriously unreliable neutral switch.

The neutral switch has been replaced once on my ST, but they are still prone to producing a partial contact when the bike is in gear and you see the neutral light glowing softly as you ride along. When this happens the ECU thinks it's in neutral all the time and it doesn't cut the engine when you prod it into gear with the stand down - hence the visual check
Old 16-Feb-2006, 17:02
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by bolds

£300 to have the equivalent fitted eh? Not cheap but also not a lot in comparison with some of the other costs associated with a owning a ducati (tyres, servicing etc.). The flip-up stand on my 996 SPS makes me so bloody nervous that I reckon it would be worth £300 to remove the problem. The tricky bit is the cheaper option of just removing the "flip-up" tendencies of the sidestand and relying on remembering to kick it up yourself. Can I rely on myself to remember? I dunno, but it is so cheap and easy that I am going to have to try it for a while. If I feel I can't trust myself then I figure I can always swap back and shell-out the £300.
Old 16-Feb-2006, 17:13
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Thing is, as with any bike. You get into a sort of...........set procedure when you take ownership of a bike. Get used to its ways, or little quirks.

Put key in bike, get on. Test for neutral, always pull clutch in and fire the bike up. Sit bike upright and up flips the stand.........................Just sort of becomes habit. ( Not saying my way is correct of course.)

I like it but sometimes I would like the stand to stay down, I dunno!!!! I like my stand having nothing to do with the electrical circut. Just keeps it simple, like me. I suppose you just have to pay attention to what you are doing like anything in life.

DC.
Old 16-Feb-2006, 17:31
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
I have seen literally dozens of people do this, at least one per trackday and also from doing on-road training, but mostly on track where people just fire up and ride off to a loud chorus of people shouting and waving at them to stop as they career down the pit lane. We've had people go out on a right hand circuit and realised they'll come off at the first left hander and had the marshall flag them to stop.

Also seen a non-biker drooling over the bike and putting his leg over it not realising the stand will go up, then go to step off again to a bunch of onlookers diving under the bike to keep it upright.

I prefer the manual version, then I am in control of it, not the bike or the elements. Throw your leg over the bike, stand flips up or you flip it up, then key etc etc. For me it's a bit like checking you are in first gear at traffic lights or indeed habitually anywhere - how many times do you tap the lever down in the full knowledge that it is already in first gear?

WeeJohnyB

[Edited on 16-2-2006 by WeeJohnyB]
Old 16-Feb-2006, 17:48
Mille

Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess I am still in that UJM mindset - this is the first Ducati I have owned. Right now there are two circumstances that give me the willies ....

1. putting the sidestand down and getting off the bike - I am never confident that it is properly down and isn't going to spring back-up

2. getting the bugger on and off the paddock stand

I guess it is a matter of getting used to it. Mind you, I am going to try Bolds' suggestion of getting off the bike before putting the sidestand down.
Old 16-Feb-2006, 17:57
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by DC
Thing is, as with any bike. You get into a sort of...........set procedure when you take ownership of a bike. Get used to its ways, or little quirks.

Put key in bike, get on. Test for neutral, always pull clutch in and fire the bike up. Sit bike upright and up flips the stand.........................Just sort of becomes habit. ( Not saying my way is correct of course.)

I like it but sometimes I would like the stand to stay down, I dunno!!!! I like my stand having nothing to do with the
electrical circut. Just keeps it simple, like me. I suppose you just have to pay attention to what you are doing like anything in life.

DC.

I agree that you do get in a routine-my mate had just swapped his 748 with a flip up stand for the 916 with a modded stand the day before he crashed so he was used to the old setup-but then you only need to forget once with the same results
Old 16-Feb-2006, 22:52
Mille

Maybe I am being optimistic but I reckon that I would be so paranoid about it that I wouldn't forget - or if I did then I would remember soon after moving off and that would be enough of a scare. It would only need the once to convince me that I'm taking too much of a risk and either swap back to the flip-up or splash-out the £300.