Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Apr-2006, 11:40
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
buy a proper one ya tight get!!
Old 18-Apr-2006, 11:51
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Dont have any issue's with mine...its a little grabby when cold but other than that its perfect....

I can see no point at all in spending out on a Bucci or STM slipper clutch when the Standard slipper clutch in the 748R is more than anyone on this board can use on track days or road riding

* all the gear no idea * springs to mind................:P

Phil
Old 18-Apr-2006, 12:23
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by fil2
Dont have any issue's with mine...its a little grabby when cold but other than that its perfect....

I can see no point at all in spending out on a Bucci or STM slipper clutch when the Standard slipper clutch in the 748R is more than anyone on this board can use on track days or road riding

* all the gear no idea * springs to mind................:P

Phil

disagree with you there fil, otherwise we would all be riding 600ss........(obviously i dont want to be derogatory to 600ss owners in the current light!)

There is nothing wrong with seeking the best bit of kit for ones self taking into consideration all things

If steve want to put up with that 3 ramp then so be it, dont complain. If he seeking less noise and a better solution then a 6 ramp with bearings is the better way. its much more stable ie 6 points of support than 3, a much more stable inner section, less wobble = less noise, which is why the 3 is no good and was only the cheapest basic thing ducati supplied on the 748r for homologation!

Im just glad weve got over the "why do you need a slipper" arguement!
Old 18-Apr-2006, 12:43
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
i dont agree.

Sure if you have a bike that you expolit in every way and its holding you back then change the part to make it better/faster.....but i dont grasp the " just because i can " attitude............

Why would i change the Slipper on my 748r when for what i use the bike for it does not hold me back or hinder me in anyway.....the bike is better than i will ever be.?

Maybe some should step back to a 600 and learn to ride that...as im sure the current stock of 600'ss on the market place are fast enough for anyone on the road or track.............

seeking the best kit sure.....but at some point you have to stand back and realise its obviously more that you could ever use and just blinged up for the bling factor.?......

Maybe thats to practical .

Phil

ps..anytime u want me to show you how good a 748R with a std slipper is against what you decide to bring ya let me know................

:P:P

jooooooooooooooke.............................:fro g:
Old 18-Apr-2006, 12:57
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
748r slipper

I agree with Phil here totally, the standard slipper in my 748R is perfectly up to the job in hand never locks the back wheel when banging down thru the box, has never made any graunchin sound or juddered away from the lights, so in conclusion the boundaries of this clutch are beyond the limits of most people out there!
BUT this is not the point this thread was started!! Weeksey is having problems with his R slipper he shouldnt be having, so the problem must lie somewere within the clutch, was it fitted correctly, are the plates serviceable and clean?? Has the spider spring broke??
Old 18-Apr-2006, 12:57
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Old 18-Apr-2006, 13:03
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisiball
I agree with Phil here totally, the standard slipper in my 748R is perfectly up to the job in hand never locks the back wheel when banging down thru the box, has never made any graunchin sound or juddered away from the lights, so in conclusion the boundaries of this clutch are beyond the limits of most people out there!
BUT this is not the point this thread was started!! Weeksey is having problems with his R slipper he shouldnt be having, so the problem must lie somewere within the clutch, was it fitted correctly, are the plates serviceable and clean?? Has the spider spring broke??

Fitted by Nelly, with excellent condition (different/uprated) plates and a brand new spider.

what sort of rpm are you pulling away at ? mine is ok till about 2500-3000 and then it's the horrible noise... and i have to sort of 'slip' it to make sure i don't get any jerkiness.
Old 18-Apr-2006, 13:24
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Mine used to do it all the time, it's a combination of dirty plates and dodgy thrust bearing on the clutch rod apparently.

FWIW I totally agree with Fil, the 748R slipper is perfectly well up to the job in all situations. I only replaced mine because I was fed up with paying out for new plates and baskets every year!

Replacing it out of some imagined need for better performance is just spending money for the sake of it. In most cases a far better performance gain will be found by sorting out the suspension and brakes.
And no, you don't need a slipper clutch!

Jen.
Old 18-Apr-2006, 14:23
Montjuic

Am I missing something here? Surely the noise and judder on pulling away is caused by the condition of the plates within the clutch and nothing else.
When you pull away from lights the clutch centre is fully down off the ramps and locked against the base plate. Therefore the number of ramps or the type of ramp (plain or with ball-bearing) has no effect.
Sure, the fact that the clutch slips during over-run causes the condition of the plates to deteriorate quicker than they would in a standard clutch. Isn't this the only reason that slippers sometimes exhibit judder and noise when pulling away?

I have a 748R which had the three plain ramp clutch fitted. I have to say that I found it to be a complete pain. It only ever worked reliably for me for a day or two after being serviced (track days only). Beyond that I might as well have had an ordinary clutch. I've just changed it for a six-ramp ball-bearing type (Sigma) and I'm hopeful for better performance between services. The original clutch juddered and was noisy when the plates were dirty or worn. I did find that fitting an extra dished steel plate improved things.
Old 18-Apr-2006, 14:35
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Well i know Nelly said the plates were a 'modified' type and virtually brand new, so i'm assuming that's not the case on this one fella....

Dirty is possible though... will have a look after i get back from recent TDs