Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Mar-2005, 10:58

Mood: Got a bust wrist :(
Sounds like the translogic stuff can't deal with counting 40 odd clicks per wheel rev. software not up to the job. I wire up dash mounted dataloggers to the front wheel. Easier wiring, run the wire down the speedo cable/brake line. Little bracket off the axle pinch bolts to pick up the front disc bolts.

Okay I'll conceed you cant see what speed your wheeliing at

Rik
Old 16-Mar-2005, 12:52
Big Twin

Just spoke to the guy from translogic after he answered my email information request via a phone call (very kind of him)!

He's suprised at the number of calls he seems to be getting at the moment from Ducati owners!!

I was asking about approved installations centres, and the best he suggested was Harris.

I also mentioned my concearns over fitting to the bike (bracketry etc) and he did say that they don't have a specific one for Dukes, but if you contact Steve Harris himself, he may be able to sort something. The translogic guy was going to call him after he had spoken to me...so he may have sorted somthing.

Worth a call...

Also...for those interested they now have a demo of it on their site, just go to the section for that dash, and there is a demo button, takes a minute to download, but it looks very impressive I have to say!
Old 16-Mar-2005, 13:00
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Quote:
Originally posted by quickrik
I wire up dash mounted dataloggers to the front wheel. Easier wiring, run the wire down the speedo cable/brake line. Little bracket off the axle pinch bolts to pick up the front disc bolts.
Rik

and it don't work on stainless disc bolts!!!!
Old 16-Mar-2005, 21:57
Bevel Head

I also spoke to Translogic and got the same reply, better to use rear sprocket carrier. Also the temp contection, the wiring harness has a ring terminal which is a temp sensor so forget the original signal to the Ducati guage. Starting work on it this weekend, first is to remove all plastics and then have a sit down followed by a nice pint of extra cold Guiness.
Old 16-Mar-2005, 23:02
Big Twin

Keep us posted cmoss...
Old 17-Mar-2005, 09:42
BSB Star

Ditto Mossy, I'm STILL awaiting the bike's return from Spain, so can do no more than look at mine!

One possible problem i have identified is the need to make the speed sensor bracket adjustable if using the back wheel cos of the eccentric chain adjuster.

My own thoughts are to drill and tap a couple of 6 mm threads in the top of the swinger and mount a block with elongated holes to hold the sensor in line with the rear disc bolts. If it works, I will probably cast a few and make them avaiable for fellow Ducatisti. Just need to work out how far from the hub I need to drill to make sure I don't drill into the hub itself.

Now if only I had a bike to look at.....

[Edited on 17-3-2005 by yeti]
Old 17-Mar-2005, 12:23
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Yeti, if your front sprocket is held in place with the "2 screw and plate" method, you might be able to mount the speed sensor on the front sprocket cover, picking up those screw heads. If your front sprocket is held in place with a large single nut, then just ignore the rest.

The number of pulses per revolution is then given by the sprocket ratio, front to rear. Going by an average ratio, you get about 5 pulses per revolution of the rear wheel. However, it would be a fractional number, which the dash might not be able to deal with. Check with Translogic.

Some Hondas have this arrangement, so it can work.

If you have to mount it on the rear wheel, try to mount it on the rear caliper retaining bracket. That way, you won't have to deal with the eccentric adjuster problem.

Here is how it's done on the 998F03:

[Edited on 17-3-2005 by Felix]
Old 17-Mar-2005, 16:04
BSB Star

Looks good Felix. If I ever get the bloody bike back from Spain, I'll whip the wheel off and see if I can modify the caliper bracket to take the sensor.

Am about to fit a new caliper and bracket anyway, so that may be even easier to modify when the time comes.

Will keep you posted and put up some pics in due course.
Old 20-Mar-2005, 17:07
BSB Star

In the absence of my own bike, I had a look at a 748 when I was up at Helly's on Friday. I reckon by making up a special "spacer" bolt, it would be possible to drill and tap the rearmost part of the rear caliper bracket to take said "spacer" and mount the speed sensor on that.

Now I got the bike back, I'll have a go at it next week and post some pics of the results.
Old 20-Mar-2005, 18:27
Bevel Head

Was thinking the same Yeti.

[Edited on 20-3-2005 by cmoss]

[Edited on 21-3-2005 by cmoss]