Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Sep-2005, 01:04
Mille

Joining the 851 SP \'Club\'

After reading an article on the 851/888 in the Ducati Owner's Club magazine, I've scratched on itch I've had for many years now (after reading Mark Forsythe rave about an 851 in Performance Bikes many years ago and watching early WSB races), and bought a 1990 851 SP2. This will replace my 1994 750 SS (unlike many of you guys, I can only have one bike at a time !)

I wondered if any of you knowledgable people have any tips for an SP2 Novice, and also, the bike has virtually no history, so I wonder if any of you know of it. It is no. 304, registration G959 SGF.

Attached is a photo.

Look forward to hearing from you

Matthew
Old 12-Sep-2005, 01:10
Mille

Mood: I AM looking forward to racing..
Where's the photo Matthew???

Nice one, it's the best Ducati, bar none is the T8.
Welcome to the virtual bar, err, bottle of Peroni, ta.

Now get some pics up! Someone on here's bound to know the history of your bike, they'll be along soon I bet.
Old 12-Sep-2005, 01:22
Mille

I'm having problems attaching the JPG using the Attachement option - is this the right thing to use ?
Old 12-Sep-2005, 01:35
500SD

Welcome Matthew..

Here's a few tips on SP ownership:

1) Put on your helmet and gloves before you start it. It's best not to move off until it's ran for a minute or so, (to allow the oil to circulate) and you'll need your hands on the twistgrip to keep it running!

2) It's high-geared, so give it a decent handfull when moving off. Battery performance is marginal, and you can't afford to have it stall on you!

3) Keep it in a fairly low gear when creeping along 30 limit roads (@ 3000rpm maybe). The fuel pump is always running, and if the revs drop too low the battery won't be taking much of a charge. For the same reason, keep the fuel filter clear - if it's straining it'll also drain the battery.

4) Don't ride with your lights on all the time! (Same reason as above).

5) Fill up with fuel on the way home after a ride. This allows you - on the next ride - to put a good few miles on it before you need a top-up (and thus have to start it up again!) Moreover, filling the tank lessens the chances of condensation build-up when it's parked. (Leading to fuel filter problems again!)

6) Keep a check on tyre pressures. Steering is very sensitive to even a couple of lb deflation. (Fit Diablos when you need new tyres).

Finally - be prepared to be ignored by 70% of the bikers out there. They don't nod when you're riding one of these. (They hate to see you having so much fun..!)

Steve
Old 12-Sep-2005, 01:46
Mille

Thanks for that Steve - it seems a lot of problems are fuel or battery related. I've got Pirelli Diablo's on the 750 SS and think they are good - A DOC member suggestion the Micheling Pilot (Power ?) but I've not tried those.

On the 'nodding' front, it seems that most bikers I pass won't nod 'til you do, so me, I'm like the Churchill's Dog on the parcel shelf of the car, head-banging anyone on 2 wheels, including Learners and scooterists (cos I've still got my Lambretta GP225 in the garage, desperately needing some TLC !)

Matthew
Old 12-Sep-2005, 01:59
500SD

Yep, I nod at everyone too - it's just that most of 'em blank me in return! I was even blanked by a guy riding a 749/999 today (his mates were all on UJMs, so I guess he had to play along).

Re. Battery/fuel: I've ridden my SP for over 6,000mls now without a single problem - so my tactics seem to work. However, the alternator light glowed today at tick-over (for the first time ever), so I suspect I've a blocked filter/dodgy regulator.

Ah well, it wouldn't be a Ducati if it didn't need attention once in a while...!
Old 12-Sep-2005, 02:00
Mille

OK, trying to attach a photo for the last time tonight !
Old 12-Sep-2005, 05:02
Mille

Looks very nice Ross.

If you don't know when the belts were last changed, change them right away. Replace them with the later kevlar belts which have red writing rather than white.

Same goes for the fuel filter and the oil obviously.

Check the wiring from the alternator to the regulator and on to the battery. The wiring is too thin as standard and the connectors are poor. The connectors can overheat and melt the insulation off the wiring and short the regulator.

The rear suspension was pretty worn on mine. Needed new needle rollers and rose joints.

Apart from that it should be fine

Enloy it.

Mike
Old 12-Sep-2005, 09:36
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Matthew,

Welcome on board, nice looking bike too. Re battery. I have swapped to a Pulsar gel battery on two of my bikes, no more problems, even after a few weeks of alarm discharge and multiple re starts.

Rgds, Rob
Old 12-Sep-2005, 10:13
Ducati Meccanica

welcome to board matthew, you have choosen the best section of the board , so full marks there

really nice SP , hope you enjoy your stay on the board etc.

cheers
robin