Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Sep-2005, 09:49
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by boggy 8
My 620 sport makes 60.2 bhp at the rear wheel, please let me know where i can find 10 bhp more

A Nitrous Oxide bottle disguised as a catch tank?
Old 15-Sep-2005, 09:55
Ducati Meccanica

I wonder if i've got the lowest bhp at 49.7 ? Probably a bit less now as that was done at beginning of year. Not that it matters to me much seeing as I can't make use of all that power
Old 15-Sep-2005, 10:37
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Looks to me that its time to strip some engines at cadwell.How much does a protest cost ? X 20 = ?

AK says he'll do it for a cuppa tea - cos he would be like a 'pig in pooh' taking things apart!

Std 05 620's are about 62hp from factory, so with pc & good zaust system fitted will come up to about 66, as should increase power by 2 hp each item.

As you said earlier Geoff, and I did too, right at the beginning, the set up of susp etc, is much more important for these bikes. You have shown that all season mate - as did Andy on the bog std engine snot at Cadwell

C
Old 15-Sep-2005, 10:44
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
My 620 sport makes 60.2 bhp at the rear wheel, please let me know where i can find 10 bhp more . I think that the over all set up of the bike is more important than bhp. But i may be wrong ?

LOL like you need it..some of the riders are on bikes with 51.5bhp at the rear wheel..so if you find a spare 10bhp chuck it down to the peasents in the low ranks huh.!

Old 15-Sep-2005, 10:57
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
I've always thought I wouldn't be slower with my 583 Monster than with the 620. I'll definitely have to check that at a trackday. I think with so small engines, the rider ability makes everything.
Old 15-Sep-2005, 12:06
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I used to believe the maxim "rider makes the difference" and to some extent it does. But then power is just as important. Put a bunch of riders of equal skills on the same bikes with varying engine outputs and the faster bike will mostly always win. No matter how good you are a 10bhp difference is a CHASM.

This year in MRO I've been struggling. I am rarely passed into a corner, never in a corner but, almost always passed in a straightline particularly when it comes to acceleration. I've had to resort to outbraking as the only means to make a pass because even if I was tucked up the exhaust pipe of another rider, once he was onto the straight he would power away. Anyone who is suffering from a lack of power compared to others will know exactly what I mean. It's incredibly frustrating and leads you to taking chances you wouldn't normally take in order to make a pass.

I got my bike on the dyno a few times and found it was only delivering 64bhp so, I was some 5-8bhp down on other bikes and it showed. Now I've done some more work on it I'm back up to around 70 with a 5bhp gain at 6500rpm so, it'll be interesting to see what difference it makes.

If you get any work done on your bikes then I recommend you verify and compare readings against those obtained on another dyno. I believed the outputs that were quoted for my bike when it was given a workover earlier in the year. Since then I have spent most of the season castigating myself for getting whupped, getting down about things and losing faith only to find that the bike was indeed not right.

Power does matter a lot.

[Edited on 15-9-2005 by twpd]
Old 15-Sep-2005, 12:16
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
I trust you, but when I have a look at the results of people who've run different engines in the season (Dom and Geoff by example) I don't see where the difference is. I agree on the fact that power matters, but I think it matters a lot more at your racing level than at ours (orange bib race series ). If I would have some money to put in my bike, I'd buy a new master cylinder, a new rear shock absorber and I would make my forks reworked. I wouldn't change anything to my standard engine... Of course if I win the national lottery, things are different
Old 15-Sep-2005, 12:49
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
Originally posted by twpd
I used to believe the maxim "rider makes the difference" and to some extent it does. But then power is just as important. Put a bunch of riders of equal skills on the same bikes with varying engine outputs and the faster bike will mostly always win. No matter how good you are a 10bhp difference is a CHASM.

This year in MRO I've been struggling. I am rarely passed into a corner, never in a corner but, almost always passed in a straightline particularly when it comes to acceleration. I've had to resort to outbraking as the only means to make a pass because even if I was tucked up the exhaust pipe of another rider, once he was onto the straight he would power away. Anyone who is suffering from a lack of power compared to others will know exactly what I mean. It's incredibly frustrating and leads you to taking chances you wouldn't normally take in order to make a pass.

I got my bike on the dyno a few times and found it was only delivering 64bhp so, I was some 5-8bhp down on other bikes and it showed. Now I've done some more work on it I'm back up to around 70 with a 5bhp gain at 6500rpm so, it'll be interesting to see what difference it makes.

If you get any work done on your bikes then I recommend you verify and compare readings against those obtained on another dyno. I believed the outputs that were quoted for my bike when it was given a workover earlier in the year. Since then I have spent most of the season castigating myself for getting whupped, getting down about things and losing faith only to find that the bike was indeed not right.

Power does matter a lot.

[Edited on 15-9-2005 by twpd]

i know of a few.. suffering those exact symptons..........
Old 15-Sep-2005, 13:00
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by fil2

i know of a few.. suffering those exact symptons..........

sounds like you are thinking of my hubbie there Phil

just cos he is addicted to pulling mechanical things apart
and also to dyno machines

You like booze & women - he likes engines

C, off to dial in her cams
Old 15-Sep-2005, 13:06
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
How much power can you get from a 620
Tim