Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Jan-2005, 19:01
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
I coast past with the clutch in all the time and I was coasting when Silver backed in to me ******* things
Old 30-Jan-2005, 19:26
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Ruth, you did the best thing in the situation you were in.
As Loz says, not best to coast - but at least it cuts the engine noise.

There is a riding & road safety test that all horse riders are encouraged to take - in fact in the BHS & Pony Club it is mandatory as part of the examination system. This takes the part of a written test, and also a practical test - for which it is advised candidates attend at LEAST 6 training sessions.

However, many do not take the test (Iwish our equine insurers would load premiums for those who didnt)

You will find that most of the time, a horse or pony if frightened - and gets out of control - will try to get away from any sudden noise.

C

footnote:
Having been mashed in a stable this morning by my daughters pony stallion, I could cheerfully throw him under a car - but then three quarters of a ton of moving object, that was not a happy pony while the equine dentist was doing his job, had every right to try to escape!
Old 30-Jan-2005, 20:01
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
CK, sorry you got cornered this morning. I always feel being actually in a stable with a horse is a crushing waiting to happen.

I think on balance the clutch in, get by a bit quicker remedy is a good idea. The problem with my situation this afternoon was there was a 4 wheel drive vehicle coming the other way so I didn't know if he was going to stop. Once I'd halted to see what was happening, I had to go past in 1st gear. In future, I think I'll just stay off that particular road on my bike, although that's going to be tricky as it's the road from my soon to be new home to my local off-licence. Hmmmmm - needs more thought! :P
Old 30-Jan-2005, 20:09
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Ruth
You did right by the sounds of it. I would only coast by as I described earlier if I could put a lane's width or more between me and the horse. Otherwise, it's a crawl in first and it takes as long as it takes.

Are there green lanes between your soon-to-be-home and the offy? Maybe you need a trailie for those urgent gin runs to the shop!
Old 30-Jan-2005, 20:25
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
One thing to point out tho - if coasting:

Please make sure the horse/pony rider has seen/noted you are there!

It can make for a nasty drag race situation when you get alongside (possibly hung over - or gossiping) rider with horse whose brain is in neutral.
You are suddenly spotted, horse takes off as you slightly accelerate past, jockey tumbles off.........

I always aim to leave a 'sideways' length of horse between me & the animal I am passing - room for manoevere for all

C

Roof - when you coming hunting???
Old 30-Jan-2005, 21:20
Ducati Meccanica

CK - I'll come hunting when you next set up a protest hunt. Not that I particularly want to hunt and frankly I'd probably get thrown at the first 5 bar gate we come too as I'm not much of a jumper but I'm definitely up for it - F*ckin* Parliament Act. That is not what it was meant for and they bl00dy know it. That Act was introduced to get National Security stuff through, as far as I know. Downright bl00dy outrage that they used it for the flippin' 'stop killing the vermin that killed ALL of your chickens' Act.

Calm now
Old 30-Jan-2005, 21:22
Ducati Meccanica

Can I ride one of your horses, then?
Old 30-Jan-2005, 21:31
Big Twin

you can pass horses in two ways;

1 stop and shoot the bloody thing.
2 Ride past slowly cluch in bike flat out on rev limiter and check your mirrors after you have passed it, the rider should have fallen off if you have done it right
Old 30-Jan-2005, 21:34
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by AGE996

2 Ride past slowly cluch in bike flat out on rev limiter and check your mirrors after you have passed it, the rider should have fallen off if you have done it right

You are a BAD BAD man
Old 30-Jan-2005, 21:36
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Redruth
Quote:
Originally posted by AGE996

You are a BAD BAD man

I'm not a bad man !!!!!!!!!!!

Just hate horses

[Edited on 30-1-2005 by AGE996]