Ducati Sporting Club UK
Closed Thread

Old 16-Feb-2006, 16:07
Mille

WTF !!!!

Would def be speaking to someone like C.A.B. for advice on this.....Def not right, you should'nt have to be putting your hand in your pocket for any of this....
Old 16-Feb-2006, 16:07

anyone know someone who can do and independent inspection if i need it?
Old 16-Feb-2006, 16:16
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Whoa, steady.....

its easy for me to say that sitting here, but make a note on your file that you are giving them the benefit of extra time to confirm details.

Now, you have a file on the bike?
It includes: all info on the bike, its service history, the warranty, the detailing of the moments leading to unexplained breakdown, the diary movements of the bike, of your conversations with the breakdown company, and then all conversations with the dealer regarding what you - and also they, said?

Good.

Now, spend the rest of the afternoon just checking details again, and also follow up any info you might need later (DTI or CAB etc)

Then tomorrow, you could follow up with Ducati UK, if you dont get the service you should have from the dealer, and the bike fixed to your satisfaction.

Obviously you'll want to ensure the dealer knows you have the law on your side

Edited to add link:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/saleandsupply.htm

DTI Enquiry Line: 020 7215 5000

[Edited on 16-2-2006 by AK and CK]
Old 16-Feb-2006, 16:33
Big Twin
Bikes: KTM Arsey Ocho

Mood: retiring
I hope you get it sorted!
Old 16-Feb-2006, 16:42
Mille
Bikes: 748

Mood: C'est la vie...
Not the best welcome to Ducati ownership!

Chin up & remember 'persistence is everything'.....
Old 16-Feb-2006, 16:47
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Basically....
the legal standpoint has nothing to do with 'fit for it's purpose' cos there's a rule specific to the motor trade which serves the customer better in a case like this. Unless otherwise agreed at the time of sale, a motor trader is responsible for the vehicle for six months after date of delivery. Obviously, this responsibility doesn't extend to wear and tear, just mechanical realiability.

A ceased engine after 7k miles might not be considered normal wear and tear! So unless the dealer can prove that YOU did something wrong to cause the cease then he's responsible for fixing it. The onus is on the dealer to prove the fault is yours.

The warranty you took out probably doesn't cover anything that the law doesn't already cover, so the only one to benefit from you buying (for the first 6 months) it is the dealer! If the dealer wants to use the warranty to recoup some of his costs then fair play, but don't you be paying any top-ups for 'excess' etc.

......unless of course this is all your fault for draining the oil in an attempt to save weight!!!
Old 16-Feb-2006, 17:26

I think i better leave this thread here until i get this sorted.

Thanks for all your advice. i post up what happened once it's all sorted.

Thanks

Jay
Old 16-Feb-2006, 20:07
Mille

Dont worry

NBS996 is right. There is specific motor industry legislation to cover customers in instances like this for 3 months I think.

The best thing to do is to write to Ducati UK and send a copy also to Ducati Aylesbury, send them Recordrd delivery. Dont forget to keep a copy for yourself

Ducati UK and pretty good at sorting out disputes between Dealer and Customer.

Make sure Ducati Aylesbury dont try to use up your warranry on this.

I once bought a brand new 748 from Ducati Aylesbury and on my wat home from picking it up the throttle stuck open

James
Old 16-Feb-2006, 20:28
500SD

Ducati UK were not much good to me, having rebuilt the engine under warranty and only when asked about the warranty offered on the "new" engine they offered me ONE MONTH
Old 16-Feb-2006, 20:58
Ducati Corse

I'm no expert by any means but i've never heard of the oil plug problem happening on a 748. I've heard of a couple of unexplained blowups on 748's but they havent been caused by the oil plug.

I think Ducati would deny that its a safety issue hence there has never been a recall. Look at the Hyabusa subframe problem, thats potentially just as dangerous but there was never a recall.
Closed Thread