Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-May-2006, 22:23
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Tyre Report - Power Race

Bit of a long one here, but thought I would provide a bit of a running report on a new tyre. It's often difficult to choose tyres without any feedback so here is mine....

Having ridden on Dunlops (208gp and 209gp) since I have been track riding I am quite apprehensive about changing to a different tyre. Tony Salt from TST Tyres near Warrington is a bit of a guru when it comes to tyres having worked with some of the great riders in the past (and still today). Tony has been suggesting that I should try the new Michelin Power Race and we finally agreed that the start of this season would be the best time to change.

So having considered profiles etc (the dunlops are quite steep on the front) and discussing the compound the tyre of choice is the Michelin Power Race with both soft on front and rear. Have also swapped from 180 rear to 190.

Initial thoughts are that the pressures seem a lot lower than anything I have previously run, it’s hard to change a mindset but given the quidelines I did as I was told and dropped the rear down from my usual 30 to 27 although this is still at the top end of the recommended range. Keep the front at my usual 32 which seemed ok.

First sessions out and it is cold and the track has been very wet so a bit apprehensive and taking things steady. The Dunlops would usually feel fairly stable in this condition as long as time is taken to warm them and no getting on the gas early at which point they would ‘squirrel’ at the rear.

Returned to the pits after 3 laps due to heavy downpour, tyres are still quite cold to touch which is surprising. Tyre warmers back on and wait for next session. Another wet one so again it’s just a case of getting used to feel on the front end.

Finally a dry session and start to push things a bit harder. New leathers mean I can’t hang off much so bike is over further than I would like and I am late on the gas at times. First thing I start to notice is the missing ‘wobble’ under braking. The Dunlops would feel as if they were weaving at the front end when going hard onto the brakes the power race felt much firmer and could not feel any movement.

Last session out and starting to get back into things. The profile is similar to the Dunlops and the fast tip of the front is still there but it feels slightly more progressive as if it’s rolling in fast rather than tipping from a point. Started to up the pace slightly around Island bend which is a fast entry very fast left hander. Probably running at about 8k in 5th then dropping to 4th on entry with a heavy braking as soon as the corner is completed ready for the hairpin.

Feeling though Island is very strong. The Duc is very planted in the corners anyway, but Island pushes this and there is usually a feeling that the front may go, but the power race seemed to be more than happy with this and felt very solid.
Back in the pits and check the tyres and they are wearing very well, extremely hot and very very sticky, looking good!

Not much chance to push things any further so next test will be 13th June at Oulton.

Did get a road test in, but the rain made for an interesting ride and it was hard to judge. Main thing that was noticeable was there didn’t seem to be much rear end slide compared to the 209 in the wet. The heat retained in the tyres seemed to help keep the tyre dry in the damp conditions before it became a downpour.

Will provide updates as I use them more

[Edited on 27-5-2006 by Lily]
Old 28-May-2006, 01:04
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
Originally posted by Lily
Have also swapped from 180 rear to 190.

Apart from brands, compound etc I find this point quite interesting. For as long as I know everyone says put a 180 on the 74* and 9** bikes.

Do you think the change in width on the rear has made a change to the handling ?
Old 31-May-2006, 18:03
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
When you are talking about non race tyres 190s are availabe in two different profiles, depending on the manufacturer, either 50, the most common or 55, the latter is said to be better cos it gives a bigger contacty patch when leant over?

Most 180s are 55 profile. Hence when most peeps change from 190 to 180 they are also changing profile as well.

Ray.
Old 31-May-2006, 18:31
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon749
Apart from brands, compound etc I find this point quite interesting. For as long as I know everyone says put a 180 on the 74* and 9** bikes.

Do you think the change in width on the rear has made a change to the handling ?

Can't comment too much at the moment as there were too many other factors to keep me distracted. I am back on track ont eh 13th and fingers crossed it will be dry so I can see if there is a noticeable difference.
Old 31-May-2006, 20:17
Big Twin

Mood: r
pilots

i tried pilot power in jerez, i had a soft front & a medium/soft rear, the rear lasted 3 days, i took over 2 rear softs. big mistake as i needed a front! the front was shot on the last day, i got on very well with these tyres & would say they are the best ive tried to date,no dramas till day 4 when the front was over heating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tyre.jpg (67.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-Jun-2006, 08:43
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

If they are anything like most Michelins they will grip well until they break away with no warning so please be careful out there Lily !!!

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.
Old 01-Jun-2006, 08:56
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I am surprised you've been using 208GPs and 209GP Lily. All my fellow racers avoid them like the plague because they're unstable and inconsistent. I personally stick to SuperCorsa Pros - proper race tyres - can't fault them except for the high wear rates. One set a weekend on my SV650 minitwin racer.
Old 01-Jun-2006, 09:07
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd
I am surprised you've been using 208GPs and 209GP Lily. All my fellow racers avoid them like the plague because they're unstable and inconsistent. I personally stick to SuperCorsa Pros - proper race tyres - can't fault them except for the high wear rates. One set a weekend on my SV650 minitwin racer.

I tried the super corsas very early on and hated them.

The supersport boys have been racing on the dunlops and they do ok

I know the ones I have are a bit different, but I tend to think that at my level most of the issues about which tyres comes down to confidence in them. As long as they are not doing anything that makes you feel really uncomfortable then it's a good start!!
Old 01-Jun-2006, 09:39
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
I'm running Power Races on the road now, scrubbed them in last night and initial impressions are good, I'm on a soft front but not the c profile which i think Lil has which is a bit sharper. Power Race and Pilot Power (normal and CT2) are a huge step up from the old "rubber" Michelins, new technology is nothing like riding Pilot Sports or Cups which were harder and would let go but it seems that reputation sticks with Michelin. The Pilot Powers i was on were probably the best reasonable mileage, high grip, all condition tyre I've used to date hopefully the Power race will be even better in the dry. Profile seems different to the Pilot Power, more rounded and bike seemed to flow as you changed direction rather than tip, maybe a consequence of more grip and more confidence in the front staying hooked up.
Old 01-Jun-2006, 09:43
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily
I tried the super corsas very early on and hated them.

Super Corsa or Supercorsa Pro? There's a world of difference.