Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Jul-2004, 16:29
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Multistrada fool gauge

20 litre tank according to the book, but my fuel gauge and fuel light show empty after about 12 or 13 litres leaving 7 or 8 litres in reserve. Seems a bit mad as some of the digital readouts for miles left, consumption etc. on the speedo readout just zero when the reserve light comes on.

Is this the norm or is my sensor just wrong?

italian electrics, bring back Joe Lucas the Prince of Darkness i say, although that comment 's probably lost on anyone younger than 40.
Old 23-Jul-2004, 18:32
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
part of the problem imo is that the tank is so flat (its under your backside) and low to keep a low c of g. - So with a flat tank the difference between full and not so full in terms of depth of petrol is very small and therefore not easy to measure. Petrol amount has never been easy to read on a bike given the lean etc. I have always had something reminder go off in my head at 120 miles that says fill up.

Forget the gauge go back to reserve tap?
Old 23-Jul-2004, 19:13

You could write a book with all the postings on this subject here and on other related sties.

I ran out recently at 160 miles and could only get 18.5 litres into it.

From now on I'll ignore the idiot guage and fill up at 140 to 150.

Apparently there is some kind of factory fix that may be worth asking your dealer about - perhaps a new sender? but I'm not sure.
Old 24-Jul-2004, 07:26
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Multidisaster fuel guages,:lo l::lo l::lo l:

How to really confuse it,take out the airbox restrictors.The readout says you have enough fuel to cover another 37 miles..................Oh,no you have'nt!
Use the trip meter.

[Edited on 24-7-2004 by KeefyB]
Old 26-Jul-2004, 15:51
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
keefy why does the lack of restrictors make a difference? Or is it that Ducati magic mystery again?
Old 26-Jul-2004, 18:25
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
keefy why does the lack of restrictors make a difference? Or is it that Ducati magic mystery again?
Summat to do with the injection system "learning" that changes have taken place with the induction.Confused the heck out of the fuel guage for a day or two.
Old 26-Jul-2004, 18:31
everton

Now then Keith..............you mentioned removing these air box restrictors when I got my MS.

Someone else mentioned waiting for the first service.

Is it easily done, how and what benefit will I get.

Personally I've had great entertainment from the fuel gauge so far. I've noticed that when I'm a quarter full on the flat I'm suddenly empty on a down hill stretch and half full going uphill.

So you can't really lose .... can you

If the gas station is in the Fens I'm assuming that it'll tell me accurately when I'm about to run out. However, if it's at the top of a hill I'll have plenty to get there and if it's at the bottom I can always coast down to it

[Edited on 26-7-2004 by everton]
Old 26-Jul-2004, 20:32
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
If you kept your `strada more upright and rode slower your gauge would be much more accurate

PS.Have you spoke to your dealer about the brake judder mod yet?
Old 27-Jul-2004, 07:38
WSB Hero

Hey sparkin,
Give us a bladdy chance mate.I'm in trouble for enjoying myself too much this weekend.As a punishment I've got to decorate the nippers bedroom.I have'nt even had the time to clean the bike yet.

Everton,
Yep its a doddle to remove the airbox restrictors ,..............................once you remove all the bodywork! The benefits are slightly more torque and a lot more airbox noise.You get that lovely whaaaarrp sound as you crack the throttle open.
As your bike is Termi'd up,yours may have already been done.To check this take a small torch,or mini maglight,and look down the gap inbetween the tank and the headstock.Have a look at the airbox lid.If you see some intake trumpets with small oval holes in them,there're still in.If you see a gaping oblong hole,there're out!You should also be able to see the top of the air filter.