Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Jan-2006, 05:28
Mille

748 oil window & Spark plug wires

Well, finally went out to sort my 748 running problems based on the fine advice received from readers of my earlier post (http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/vi....php?tid=27682)

In the process of checking the plugs noticed to my horror that no oil was present in the porthole. Only done 1500 miles since purchase from the dealer and whilst I'm stupid not to have checked didn't think about it as no warning light appeared - doh. Took the lower plug out and it was oily/wet and some white smoke appears in one of the exhausts on start up. Does this mean I've 'seized' one of the cylinders and would this explain the poor running / complete lack of power.

A search through the archives seems to suggest that oil consumption is a problem early on but surely not to dry in 1500 miles?

If I fill up and run it again will this make matters worse or is it already stuffed due to the 3 mile limp home? Also any hope of getting this done under dealer warranty??

D

[Edited on 3-1-2006 by djb]
Old 03-Jan-2006, 06:11
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Relax.

First, read your Owners Manual section for the procedure for checking the oil level. In particular, the bike should be uprght and the engine cold (at least give the level a few minutes to settle when hot) when you check the level in the sight glass. Use a small hand mirror to view it if you’re astride to make sure it’s between the two marks.

Even if the level was actually below the minimum level, it’s unlikely that the oil pump was starved of oil. The white smoke you see at startup is normal, water condensation not oil being burned (which has a blue color.)
Old 03-Jan-2006, 22:36
Mille

Thanks Shazaam

Only worry is that oil wasn't just below min but non-existent in porthole! My only hope is that this isn't the reason for it running poorly......

Anyway gonna try filling up and then if this doesn't work then will ry the previous suggestions - plugs then fuel filter. Pain in the ass as the tank has to be drained / come off as no quick release pipes. Failing that it's off to the dealer.

D
Old 03-Jan-2006, 23:47
Ducati Corse

Daft question but you are looking at the window on the offside off the bike?
Old 04-Jan-2006, 03:46
Mille

Yep with min/max markings.

My worry is that the lack of power may have been due to a complete absence of oil in the cylinder that might have damaged it and that topping it up and running it will just damage it further. Never having damaged a cylinder I'm not sure whether it would be more obvious than I think.....or am I being stupid again?

Any help for a newbie appreciated.

D
Old 04-Jan-2006, 10:30
Ducati Corse

Thats okay then! Some people have been known to look at the window on the other side of the engine!

Was the bike on a paddock stand when you looked at the level? Have you topped it up? How much did it take?
Old 04-Jan-2006, 14:22
Mille

No it was on it's tyres held vertically.

Waiting for some 15W50 and plugs/fuel filter from Nelly. Will try these first before I waste your time anymore. Contacted dealer who suggested it may just be dirt in the fuel filter as it was running on reserve so I guess if the plugs don't work then it's the fuel filter next (a job I'm not looking forward to) - no quick release so it's drain the tank time. Bugger!

Thanks guys, will let you know how I get on.

D
Old 06-Jan-2006, 00:26
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
always check the bike on a stand, i panicked the other day when i had no oil in the sight then put it on paddock and stand and all was fine.

as i said in your previous post go with the plugs mate, it sounds really similair to what i had, i'd be very surprised if it wasnt them.

deej
Old 06-Jan-2006, 00:48
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
Quote:
Originally posted by deej
always check the bike on a stand, i panicked the other day when i had no oil in the sight then put it on paddock and stand and all was fine.

as i said in your previous post go with the plugs mate, it sounds really similair to what i had, i'd be very surprised if it wasnt them.

deej

Surely you should check it with both wheels on the ground and the bike upright???,
if it's on the paddock stand the bike will be at an angle with the rear higher then the front thus giving a false reading !!!
Old 06-Jan-2006, 00:54
Ducati Corse

Manual say the bike should be "upright" to check the oil. I would say that means on its wheels rather than a stand. Different stands will lift the rear of the bike by different amounts so giving different readings!

I'm probably wrong though.