Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jun-2003, 18:51
GTL

The first 100 miles...

I just had two tyres fitted (D207RR's, which are apparently recommended) to my 916. One thing I don't understand. As I left, I got a serious warning to take it very easy for the first 100 miles or so. As far as I know, the problem is with a freeing agent the manufacturers use to prevent a new tyre sticking to the mould, which also helps the tyre not stick to the road - not good. So you take it easy; which means not leaning too far etc; which in turn means that not much of the tyre contacts the road. So how does the freeing agent get off the tyre? Heat? Flexing? Just wondered - I'll still take it (very) easy.

Does anyone know the reason?

Thanks

A
Old 26-Jun-2003, 18:59
Mille

Mood: i love rubber
bedding in

all motorbike tyres should be bedded in for approx 100 miles or less,freeing agent is more like a seal over the rubber so you have to scuff it off,softer compounds scrub in easier,it is not something you could wipe off with say thinners,its not in the rubber its across the surface,so a gentle ride out before hard acc hard braking etc
cheers steve
Old 26-Jun-2003, 21:17
Mille

Have to admit, the first 100/150 miles with the 207RRs were a bit interesting so take care. After that they're fantastic both on and off the track. Only done about 500 miles so cannot comment too much on wear rate. We'll see after Mallory!

Old 30-Jun-2003, 17:56
500SD

Agree with Weeksy, 100 miles is over the top IMHO had a BT010 rear put on and gave it about 5miles

just take it steady for a few miles, the sealing compound comes off straight away! (more for the front!)
N.B.
Only do this if your a confident rider!

[Edited on 30-6-2003 by chillo]