Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Jun-2006, 13:33
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Thanks for your input Andy, realise how limited your spare time is.

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.
Old 09-Jun-2006, 13:34
Montjuic

Mood: Alway happy
I hope it answers some of the questions and I hope it raises more which I'm glad to answer, although maybe not straight away!
Old 09-Jun-2006, 13:50
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Ibbott
In one corner he was late applying the throttle, which was affecting his time in that split.
Ok, that is what was happening. Now fil2 what would you do to help him go faster? What is the cause of the effect?

Andy

im hoping TP can show / tell me at cadwell track day...............

Phil..........
Old 09-Jun-2006, 13:51
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Nice to see the 'boss' answering our questions and commenting on our thoughts, I like to see that as it shows commitment to the customers.

I have had lengthy discussion with TP on CSS and he has made some valid comments.
The one thing I cannot understand is if you have a good technique then what is stopping you braking that 5m later, or cornering that 2mph faster or opening the throttle 1/2 sec earlier. I understand all the instructors know the techniques so what is stopping them reaching lap record speed on any bike they ride ?
Maybe this question isn't answerable and maybe we should concentrate on getting the perfect technique first but where does the ability to put the technique into practice come from and assuming all other things equal why are some people quicker than others ?

Anyone care to explain why Rossi doesn't appear to look thro a corner as we are led to believe this is a basic technique ?
Old 09-Jun-2006, 14:26
Montjuic

The question is answerable - Survival Reaction thresholds. We all have them and this is how we judge 'talent' in bike racing. Example, Shakey, very 'talented' rider because his SR level is so high. Mine has come down because I don't like riding on the edge anymore like I did when I raced. I still want to go faster each time I ride but not at 99%, but faster at a comfortable 90%, hence the reason I don't race anymore.

As for Rossi, he does look into the corner and out. Now his head position would lead you to believe otherwise...
And yes, I do know that as I have spent the last 3 months writing a book on MotoGP riding techniques and spoken to most of the riders at that level. VERY INTERESTING!
Old 09-Jun-2006, 14:52
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Ibbott
The question is answerable - Survival Reaction thresholds. We all have them and this is how we judge 'talent' in bike racing. Example, Shakey, very 'talented' rider because his SR level is so high. Mine has come down because I don't like riding on the edge anymore like I did when I raced. I still want to go faster each time I ride but not at 99%, but faster at a comfortable 90%, hence the reason I don't race anymore.

As for Rossi, he does look into the corner and out. Now his head position would lead you to believe otherwise...
And yes, I do know that as I have spent the last 3 months writing a book on MotoGP riding techniques and spoken to most of the riders at that level. VERY INTERESTING!

Can I have an evaluation copy ? If it's good I promise to tell everyone I know

More interestingly did you or CSS learn anything from them ?

Last edited by couchcommando : 09-Jun-2006 at 14:55.
Old 09-Jun-2006, 15:26
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Well, I've made my mind up to try the CSS school.
I made my mind up this way ...
I've just come away from a day at brands gp, and for the first time at a td I spent all the time on one bike (my race 620) with the aim of 'just' trying to understand how I am riding the bike. It had a very interesting quality of having bends that I thought I knew and bends that I had only ever looked at ! A most excellent learning opportunity that I enjoyed immensely, and I even survived to attempts at murder by a 600-axe-tw*t !

1. As discussed with a couple of you - one thing I needed was simply time trying to ride it fast - mission accomplished, as I was the slowest bike (by far) in the fast group, but by the end of the day not around the corners (hooray)
2. I went with the mindset of looking to learn something - not looking for someone to tell me something - and was able to relax enough to start watching myself - at last on the 620 I was spending my $10 carefully, so i feel I can now move forward with it without tripping over too many of my bad habits - so mission accomplished with regard to being ready to learn where the next level begins.

So, the moral of this is that you not only have to want to be a student, but you must also practice being one in order to be ready to learn when the opportunity comes along. Many very accomplished people completely miss this point.
A black belt signifies that you have finished your novice phase, and should now be ready to learn in all situations. It does not mean you are a teacher or a coach.
Actually, you will see many top sports people watching/following others of their discipline to see if there are new any tricks they can steal. Its the ability to pass on the right tricks to the right people that makes the best coaches.
[/ranting-old-git]
Old 09-Jun-2006, 19:36
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
As some of you know I spent Easter with Andy, Johnny and the guys and girls at Almeria on a 2 day camp. It wasn't cheap-especially for me since I dropped and then blew up my Gilera on the first day-but it was VERY worth it. If I learnt just one thing the hook turn was worth the time-everyone will take something different away which is their main benefit, the main thing is you WILL benefit. You just have to want to learn-and I have been riding bikes for over 40 years................

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 09-Jun-2006, 20:41
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchcommando
Can I have an evaluation copy ? If it's good I promise to tell everyone I know

More interestingly did you or CSS learn anything from them ?

A good question.

Did I learn anything? Yes, quite a bit and I was astounded how open they all were to the questions asked. For example, John Hopkins. John, how do you get the bike to turn? Answer "Hey man, I have no idea!"
What can be learnt from this? The guy ain't slow...

In the end I spoke with Hopkins, Hayden, Capirossi, Edwards, Ellison, Vermuelen, Nakano, Chaz Davies, Luthi (no surprise there!) and even got some thoughts from Rossi although I couldn't speak directly to him.

Evaluation copy? It's on the press week after next in time for the Brit GP when it goes on sale...
Old 09-Jun-2006, 20:58

Mood: COME ON!!!!!
Sorry Fil,Dont think thats gonna happen. Sure TP may be able to give you a tow round but until you decide CSS is worthwhile and what we do is a good thing(i.e Do level 1) the tech is gonna remain unobtainable. Please dont expect TP to help you out just because he's a mate as it will cause him much grief from management.Rules is rules.