Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Mar-2011, 11:25
Mille

Floating Rear Brake Setup?

I've been scouting about trying to find information on a 'fully floating' rear brake setup for my 916, as I'm sure I'd seen something about this before.

Trouble is, I can't find anything on t'interweb (nevermind anything detailed, like parts, prices)

Has anyone found a setup or know where I might get some information?

Thanks

G
Old 29-Mar-2011, 18:23
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobert23
I've been scouting about trying to find information on a 'fully floating' rear brake setup for my 916, as I'm sure I'd seen something about this before.

Trouble is, I can't find anything on t'interweb (nevermind anything detailed, like parts, prices)

Has anyone found a setup or know where I might get some information?

Thanks

G

I 'think' these people used to supply the parts but I can't say for sure.

http://www.ducatiracesupport.com/
Old 30-Mar-2011, 12:49
Mille

I've got a few leads on a 'fully floating' disc setup from the U.S.

I'll drop Emails to both and see what they come back with.

(Fingers-crossed)

G
Old 01-Apr-2011, 14:59
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
is that to attempt to make the rear brake work?
Old 04-Apr-2011, 16:15
Mille

There's essentially two reasons...

1. I would like to improve the performance, as the stock rear's pretty poor, but more importantly...

2. I want it to look (and work) like the early race bike setup.

Old 06-Apr-2011, 23:07
Big Twin

I have such a set up on all my bikes.

Small axle based set up requires a specific RS axle.
That type of axle as different mounting points for the buttons on which the brake disc fits. Then you need buttons, brake disc (which are in 200mm), caliper carrier to work with a 200mm disc (road is 220mm), and off course those caliper carrier come in 64mm mounting point spacing for the calipers which is the race standard. So you need a caliper too, and those aren't cheap.
So if you want to go for the proper set up, you need the lot to get it to work.

On Big axle set up, the brake disc is fitted to a separate alloy plate that bolts to the axle. This is almost identical to the MV Agusta set up actually, except that you can slide the floatting buttons on this plate and fit the disc to them, instead of bolting directly the disc to alloy plate. The whole set up is otherwise similar to small axle, meaning that all parts are different to road. The caliper carrier is specific as well with a bigger centre to accommodate the big axle set up.

If you want to improve your set up,

1st follow the maintenance manual in bleeding your brakes. You need to undo the caliper and put it right way up so you can effectively bleed air through the bleed valve. If you try and bleed with caliper upside down, air will never quite bleed out.

Second, there are some after market set up that do a fully floatting set up using road axle. Check probably Motowheels in the US for this.
Brembo also do a billet rear caliper for road spacing now.

Overall the race calipers will not really give much more performance to be honest. They are just lighter and look very very trick. But performance wise, I have not noticed much improvements.