I've just picked up this comment from the S4 egroup:

Quote:
All S4 Monster owners need to look at this thread:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin...m=105623801 9

Old 06-Aug-2003, 08:56
Mille
Bikes: 2013 Monster 796 2012 Harley Davidson Softail Slim

Monster battery leaks

Reading some past posts, I belive there has been an issue with some monsters that have battery's that are positoned on their sides? (S4R is not side mounted, first thing I looked at!) MV F4's Have the same problem, I found out the expensive way!, so when I got my new F4 I changed the battery to a factory sealed unit by Westco,

Westco seem to have the answer to leaking battery problems and they are now available in the UK!!, Via

MK BATTERY INTERNATIONALLTD

Mr Tom Coyne
T: 01536 484009
F: 01536 484702
Mobile 07736 145 007
Unit 6B Vernon Court
Henson Way
Telford Way Industrial Estate
Kettering
Northants NN16 8PX

e-mail tomc@mkbattery.com

www.mkbattery.com/map.html

www.westcobattery.com/motorcycle.php

What is an AGM battery?
AGM is an abbreviation for absorbed glass mat. In this design, the acid is completely absorbed into glass mat separators which are sandwiched between the lead plates. It's a totally sealed and maintenance free design. There are no discharge tubes or fillers caps, which eliminates the need to maintain water levels and offers no concern about acid leaks on valuable parts and accessories.

Why is an AGM battery better than a conventional motorcycle battery?
AGM batteries offer the following advantages over conventional batteries:
- Sealed maintenance free design means you never have to worry about checking water levels.
- AGM technology will not leak or corrode on paint and chrome.
- They have less internal resistance which offers more CCA amperage than wet batteries.
- By nature AGM batteries are more heat and vibration resistant than conventional batteries, both which contribute to the large majority of failures in motorcycle applications.
- Slower self discharge rate (longer shelf life) means battery can sit for extended periods of time without constant monitoring. A wet battery discharges 15% a month, where our AGM batteries discharge only 2-3% a month.

Should longer service life be expected from an AGM battery?
Yes.
- The main reason wet batteries fail is due to the fact that water levels are not properly monitored coupled with the fact that they are not very vibration resistant. AGM batteries do not have to be constantly maintained and are much more resistant to both heat and vibration, which is why they offer longer service life.
Old 29-Aug-2003, 03:53

(S4R is not side mounted, first thing I looked at!)

Oh yes they are

My friend's two week old S4R battery peed itself...

Anyway, real problem. Affects ALL ST frame based Monsters. That's all monsters 2002+ (plus 2001 S4). To be clear, that means all newer Monsters, 620 and up.

Any questions, I'm on the link posted above by Eamonn.

Regards,
Tom