Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Jun-2012, 12:15

What happens if my Ducati 748 pride and joy gets wet!!

Sods law- booked a Bikesafe weekend in south wales 16th and 17th June ( weekend after next) and the weather forcast says rain. I planned to ride up on Saturday morning from Birmingham, and book into a cheap hotel. ...but having second thoughts becauise.......

1, havnt ridden my bike in wet.. ever!!
2. Dont fancy riding around a strange area to me in the wet and getting soaked
3. dont want to start a rust/ electrical poblems on my 748 Biposte

Has anybody done distance on there Ducati in the rain, what would be your advice???
Old 07-Jun-2012, 12:38
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
Man up and get on with it. :-)
Old 07-Jun-2012, 13:47
Bikes: Ducati

They are made of sterner stuff than you think. Don't worry about it and just get out there and ride! As long as you clean it off when you return and give it a once over with the polishing cloth it will remain as good as new. I used to ride my 749S in the rain all the time. It remained immaculate for the whole period I had it.
Old 08-Jun-2012, 11:35
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
I've been through France on mine in the wet not washing it for a few days, done Scotland in the wet (who hasn't eh? ) and Germany.

Your only issue is getting good waterproofs, putting your sleeves OVER your glove cuffs and riding smoothly.

www.copeimages.com

WeeJohnyB, Best instructor out there http://www.nolimitstrackdays.com/
Old 08-Jun-2012, 15:13
Bikes: 996S Z900

Got back from TT on Thurs on my 996, it got wet over there and also yesterday at home until I could put it away.
It'll clean up!!
Old 08-Jun-2012, 15:46
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Waterproofing Your Ducati

Motorcycle electrical systems are more exposed to the elements than cars so it’s important to keep the system sealed against water infusion to avoid corrosion of the electrical connections.

In particular, the electrical connection between the alternator and the regulator carries a very high current, so corrosion there will lead to overheating the connector and adjacent wiring. I recommend eliminating this connector entirely using solder and shrink-tube insulation.

Another problem area is the rubber boot on the electrical connection to the starter motor. It leaks, collects water and corrodes the connection. Here, you need to clean the connection and then seal it watertight with silicon sealant.

Every instrumentation, power and ground connection on the bike is a potential problem. So the best approach is to prevent water from reaching the connections whenever possible and to reduce electrical resistance at each connection.

Care should be taken to avoid forcing water into the connections so set your wash hose nozzle on spray (not stream) and avoid using the high pressure commercial wash/steam systems on your bike.

The connectors are designed to be waterproof, but over time seals will harden and eventually moisture will get in. Some owners make it a practice to using dielectric (non-conducting) grease to keep water out of connectors that don’t get hot enough to cause the grease to liquify.

For connectors that stay cool enough to let the dielectric grease to remain thick, use it to seal the male-female seam so as to prevent water from entering the connector. I'd avoid putting it on the connecting pins themselves. Use in connectors that get hot runs the risk of the grease liquifying and getting on the pin surfaces.

Using dielectric grease on connector pins can be a source of unwanted high resistance. Ferrari used to put dielectric grease inside all of their engine connectors (that will see water) but they eventually found out that it caused problems. They issued a service bulletin that advised cleaning out all of the grease and to use instead a contact enhancing product called Stabilant 22.

http://www.stabilant.com/appnt20h.htm

When applied to an electrical connection Stabilant 22 becomes conductive. The manufacturer claims that it is as good as a soldered joint.

VW, Porsche, BMW and Ferrari all recommend the use of Stabilant 22 on electrical connectors. You can buy it at your local VW parts department. Don't be shocked at the price, a 5 ml tube is around $40.

A 15 ml bottle of Stabilant 22 costs $61 a NAPA stores. It's packaged under NAPA's Echlin brand, so when specifying the part number the "line" is ECH and the part number is CE1.

There are some other specialty products that try to address the connector protectant issue. Deoxit for example:

http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c...00f4c50d0dcc64

Another is Boeshield T-9

Finally, WD-40 has no place in electrical connectors or components. WD-40 is composed of 80% Stoddard Solvent (that is similar to paraffin/kerosine), 20% light lubricating oil, and a bit of fragrance. So, I advise against using WD-40 in any part of an electrical system because it leaves an oil residue. Use an electrical contact cleaner instead is to remove any grease and oil that is causing conductivity problems. Sticky relays should just be replaced because in the long run they’ll probably fail when you least want them to.

On a wet bike that won’t start, I recommend first using a leaf blower to dry everything out and let it sit in the sun for a while. It'll start eventually. Then waterproof it.
Old 09-Jun-2012, 19:42
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD AND FAST!!
Has anybody done distance on there Ducati in the rain, what would be your advice???

Went to Wales a few weeks ago when the flood alerts were on. Riding back it was torrential for 180 miles and my 996 never missed a beat. Shame my waterproofs weren't as good........

If you are doing the Bikesafe in the Powys area then you are in for a real treat, fantastic roads (wet or dry) and the coppers doing the Bikesafe are a great bunch!

Cheers
Simon
Old 11-Jun-2012, 17:52
Bikes: 996 SPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazaam!
On a wet bike that won’t start, I recommend first using a leaf blower to dry everything out and let it sit in the sun for a while. It'll start eventually. Then waterproof it.

What in England, thats 2 days a year if we are lucky and our summer is over